University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros:
  • "Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "State budget cuts often result in zero percent salary increases (nope, not even cost of living)"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent research university

I have been working at University of North Carolina

ProsStrong bio-medical program with great location provide industrial job opportunities.

ConsWorking in a university usually does not pay you as much as you may expect in industry

Awesome

Staff (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment, lovely town

ConsIt is a college. So students are its first priority.

Working on campus can be a good idea for students

Writing Tutor (Former Employee)
Wilmington, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, good management. Great learning opportunity. I worked as a writing tutor at the writing center and found it to be a great environment. Further, working on campus for a student is a huge boon as management is ultra aware of your class load.

ConsGetting paid on a monthly basis can really suck. Working as tutor can be stressful because you don't always have guaranteed hours and have to check online to see if you have appointments.

Great University

Research Collaborator (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than a year

ProsResearch is very applied and focused for commercial /industry interests

ConsI haven't come across any cons

Academic Research

Research Specialist (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA chance to do interesting work with interesting people. Good benefits.

ConsThe pay is much lower than in industry. Raises at the whim of state government. Very difficult to get a promotion unless you change positions. The support positions don't reward for experience. There seems to be a high turnover in faculty lately, probably due to the low pay and no research funding support.

Outstanding university with top-notch research but limited opportunities for advancement

Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOutstanding intellectual environment, great scientific resources, great seminars, excellent colleagues, entire health insurance premium for employees are paid by university, retirement contributions by university are good

ConsLow pay, very limited job security (depends on grant renewals), limited career advancement at the university, expected to work long hours, difficult at times to balance work and family life

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay

good place to work in if you want to have a work life balance. good experience as a junior faculty there.

Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for less than a year

Prosa work life balance; good high school around; the weather is great; good environment for research and potential opportunity to transfer to tenure track.

Consnot in a very big city. student level vary a lot. school of engineering and computer science is not very strong, so hard to find collaborative in that area.

Ideal for those interested in pursuing an academic career, not conducive for preparing for other scientific careers

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

ProsIndependence - particularly on projects
Project Management - lots of opportunities for this as a postdoc in larger labs with undergraduate and graduate students
Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance

ConsLimited support for jobs outside of academia
Overwhelmed/disconnected PIs

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes PIs are overwhelmed with responsibilities, especially given the funding situation and there are long delays in feedback on your work.

Hard to find a student job, bizarre pay schedule, but very friendly and understanding supervisors.

Cultural Events Intern (Current Employee)
Asheville, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly staff and faculty, good pay, and works with your class schedule.

ConsYou are paid 4 weeks after you begin a timesheet cycle, hard to find a student job, and no hours over school breaks, and limited to 20 hours per week regardless of the type of job (i.e. a desk job vs. an actively moving job).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the paycheck cycle more frequently for the students needing to buy textbooks and pay bills.

A great research university in a great town"

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe university is responsive to students and staff. Chapel Hill is a nice community to live in. The region is growing economically. Campus has great cultural resources: music, museums, etc.

ConsCan be difficult to find housing in the area. Salaries are lower than those on the coasts. Worker satisfaction varies from department to department.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of North Carolina reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of North Carolina CEO Carol L. Folt. All 163 reviews posted anonymously by University of North Carolina employees.