University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees(in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon(in 7 reviews)

good place to work in if you want to have a work life balance. good experience as a junior faculty there.

Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

Prosa work life balance; good high school around; the weather is great; good environment for research and potential opportunity to transfer to tenure track.

Consnot in a very big city. student level vary a lot. school of engineering and computer science is not very strong, so hard to find collaborative in that area.

Ideal for those interested in pursuing an academic career, not conducive for preparing for other scientific careers

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsIndependence - particularly on projects
    Project Management - lots of opportunities for this as a postdoc in larger labs with undergraduate and graduate students
    Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance

ConsLimited support for jobs outside of academia
    Overwhelmed/disconnected PIs

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes PIs are overwhelmed with responsibilities, especially given the funding situation and there are long delays in feedback on your work.

Hard to find a student job, bizarre pay schedule, but very friendly and understanding supervisors.

Cultural Events Intern (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsFriendly staff and faculty, good pay, and works with your class schedule.

ConsYou are paid 4 weeks after you begin a timesheet cycle, hard to find a student job, and no hours over school breaks, and limited to 20 hours per week regardless of the type of job (i.e. a desk job vs. an actively moving job).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the paycheck cycle more frequently for the students needing to buy textbooks and pay bills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Raises in Five years

ProsThe area has a beautiful, warm climate. The city itself is fairly vibrant, and there are many outdoor activities available.

ConsNo raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon. Administration is new and has not made retaining skilled faculty a priority, instead seeking business partnership opportunities.

A great research university in a great town"

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsThe university is responsive to students and staff. Chapel Hill is a nice community to live in. The region is growing economically. Campus has great cultural resources: music, museums, etc.

ConsCan be difficult to find housing in the area. Salaries are lower than those on the coasts. Worker satisfaction varies from department to department.

UNC is a good place to do graduate work

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

Pros- Supportive environment for grad students

Cons- Depends on which lab you choose to do research

Student Accounts Associate

Student Accounts Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers, great campus, great atmosphere. The students were generally friendly and working with them was a good experience. The managers were good leaders and took suggestions well.

Gives lots of opportunities to students or recent graduates looking for a entry-level job. There are plenty of research jobs available. See the career services for more assistance.

ConsThe parking is terrible. Be sure to take a bus or pay for a parking lot space if you decide to work here. Parking is not guaranteed to employees.

The parents of the students who I helped were very stuck up and entitled. If you are working with parents of UNC students, be prepared to be constantly frustrated with their antics. They will argue with you, refuse to learn information for themselves, demand that you do things that is outside your hands, and argue with you until they get their way .

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the students about making changes to the websites. The financial websites (tuition, financial aid, department deposits, etc) are very difficult to navigate.

Very flexible, generous, and understanding employer

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsFlexible work schedule, able to set my own hours and location, very supportive supervisor who let me make up hours later if I had big projects for school due, paid tuition and benefits on top of hourly pay

ConsThere were not too many cons involved with working for UNC. Sometimes, the hours were a bit much considering I was also in school full-time. There was not as much supervision as I would have liked, but my supervisor was great and understanding (just busy), so I do not fault her.

Business Services Coordinator

Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsEmployer offers flexible scheduling. The location is nice.

ConsBenefits are horrible, salaries are low, limited opportunity for advancement, leadership is poor

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

My first experience as a state employee

Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsThe environment and appreciation of research

ConsToo much work to do to be able to enjoy what should be perks, such as taking classes; PARKING; no raises, poor pay; lack of supplies - I don't have the things I need to be able to do my job well; lack of office space

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the state makes it difficult to give pay raises, etc, try to foster employee satisfaction in other ways

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!