University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 23, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees(in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon(in 7 reviews)

119 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good place

Instructor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

Prosnice co-workers, good atmosphere, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge. almost do the same routine

Great University

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsMy professor I worked under was very kind and understanding. I learned a lot in my time TA-ing and have a better understanding of what professors and TAs are looking for when grading tests and assignments.

ConsSometimes lectures and recitations and assignments are a little disorganized. Its hard to evenly distribute work between TAs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be a bit more fair in terms of how to divide up work between TAs since we're all getting paid the same rate.

Quality university with an abundance of resources

Research Assistant/Graduate Student (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsFrom a scientific research standpoint, there are many quality researchers and opportunities for collaboration. The facilities are high quality. Basically anything you need you can find somewhere on campus.

ConsTransportation can be quite an issue. At peak times, the small roads in and out are extremely congested. Parking is horrendous compared to my former university. They are working on expanding garages, but it will still be an issue.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lackluster and disappointing

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsTwo free classes per year.

ConsToo many to say, but morale is low, cronyism, impossible to move up, inept incompetent managers with little to no interest in developing their employees skills or advancement, aloof faculty who are demigods in their own minds, you are basically a glorified secretary even if you have a specialized degree, you prefer seeing the vendors and facilities guys everyday instead of the gabbing secretaries who prefer Internet Explorer and stupidity to moving up and getting better jobs. My job was very technical when I was hired in 2008 and after budget and grant decreases, I had to become an overqualified secretary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour turnover is so high because you are entitled redneck. Retire already and get someone in there with an education in leadership and some tact and decency who can look at their employees in the eye before making back-door decisions about their careers.

Government bureaucracy

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

Prosstate government job.. good place to retire.. nice pension

Consstate government job.. lots of inefficiency.. pay is ridiculous low

Job didn't last as long as I was promised

Applications Analyst (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsI worked with a great group of people in a fantastic work environment. I was told the job would last several years.

ConsThe job barely lasted a year. No raises because of the State Legislature. Office of Human Resources has no idea what they are doing, so try to work with the individual department if at all possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a total overhaul of the Office of Human Resources.

Great experience, friendly work environment with lots of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsOpportunities for research and collaboration abound. If you know what you want to do, and are interested in finding interdisciplinary collaborators, there are essentially unlimited possibilities for cutting-edge research. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place to live. Can't beat the weather, access to nearby cities (and the airport is a 25 minute drive!), and general cultural diversity.

ConsSalaries are competitive, but living in the area is expensive - housing in particular. Expect to pay "big city" prices if you want to live close to campus. State budget cuts have left some basic services and building upkeep by the wayside. It's hit and miss - some areas of campus are state-of-the-art, others are attended to only once they start (literally) falling apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministrative staffing seems to have become more bare-bones since I arrived here.

Nice, laid-back atmosphere.

ITS Security Intern (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsAllows for growth through experimenting with new software and hardware. Lots of learning potential. Manager is very understanding.Don't get pushed to your limits, and has flexible work hours. Gained lots of important exposure into the field of IT Security.

ConsSometimes I wish I could ask for more work to do just to gain further exposure however I realize this would involve access that is beyond my pay-grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to interface with the employees and open to suggestions for more growth opportunities.

Great clinical staff

Epic Trainer (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsThe labor and delivery unit is fantastic

ConsAs a contractor, there aren't many future opportunities available.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave someone there to meet the after go-live needs of your staff...someone they are comfortable with and someone who is knowledgable.

good place to do a postdoc

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsLots of seminars on topics beside research, decent health care

Conssmall college town, politically liberal but conservative mindset in town

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!