University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees(in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon(in 7 reviews)

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My job is easy and awesome. Just keep all students, faculty and staff happy as a retail cashier

Retail Cashier (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat benefits, meeting new people, loyal customers, very fun environment

ConsGetting a day off when your the main one that opens up in the morning can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better in training their employees

One of the most well equipped universities to complete a postdoc

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsState of the art facilities, plenty of grant money, exciting research. Great people to work with and a great reputation, especially locally.

ConsYou are a postdoc. Bottom of the Ponzi scheme that is academia. Long work hours with minimal compensation. However, it is the system that is broken, not the institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for postdocs looking for the next step.

Great University

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsMy professor I worked under was very kind and understanding. I learned a lot in my time TA-ing and have a better understanding of what professors and TAs are looking for when grading tests and assignments.

ConsSometimes lectures and recitations and assignments are a little disorganized. Its hard to evenly distribute work between TAs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be a bit more fair in terms of how to divide up work between TAs since we're all getting paid the same rate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice, laid-back atmosphere.

ITS Security Intern (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsAllows for growth through experimenting with new software and hardware. Lots of learning potential. Manager is very understanding.Don't get pushed to your limits, and has flexible work hours. Gained lots of important exposure into the field of IT Security.

ConsSometimes I wish I could ask for more work to do just to gain further exposure however I realize this would involve access that is beyond my pay-grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to interface with the employees and open to suggestions for more growth opportunities.

Awesome

Staff (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsGreat work environment, lovely town

ConsIt is a college. So students are its first priority.

Great University

Research Collaborator (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsResearch is very applied and focused for commercial /industry interests

ConsI haven't come across any cons

A great research university in a great town"

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsThe university is responsive to students and staff. Chapel Hill is a nice community to live in. The region is growing economically. Campus has great cultural resources: music, museums, etc.

ConsCan be difficult to find housing in the area. Salaries are lower than those on the coasts. Worker satisfaction varies from department to department.

Enjoyable work environment, not much room for growth for staff

Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsLoved the environment, my co-workers, the faculty and students. Great challenges, supportive colleagues, never a dull day!

ConsAs staff (not faculty), I felt that there was little room for career advancement without completely changing departments and job areas. In 5 1/2 years my salary increases were mostly from legislative action and when those stopped due to the recession, I saw this as a dead-end job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore professional development for staff. The University does a much better job in supporting and encouraging the careers of its faculty than it does for SPA staff.

Flexible job while as an undergraduate, great people

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsFlexibility with class schedule, opportunities to try new things and gain skills

ConsUnless you ask for some clear responsibilities and project work, it's hard to market the skills you've gained in this job after you graduate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive student assistants the opportunity to gain real skills. Let them see the results of their work so that it can be used after they graduate.

Great place to be a graduate student in biomedical sciences

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsGreat resources for students and collegial atmosphere. Excellent core facilities. Fantastic scientific mentors.

ConsConstant construction in the hospital/biomedical campus area for the past several years makes it tough to get around. The situation has gotten better in the past year, though. Job prospects for biomedical trainees are waning, but that's no fault of UNC. They do a good job of communicating the realities to students.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!