University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

116 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lackluster and disappointing

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsTwo free classes per year.

ConsToo many to say, but morale is low, cronyism, impossible to move up, inept incompetent managers with little to no interest in developing their employees skills or advancement, aloof faculty who are demigods in their own minds, you are basically a glorified secretary even if you have a specialized degree, you prefer seeing the vendors and facilities guys everyday instead of the gabbing secretaries who prefer Internet Explorer and stupidity to moving up and getting better jobs. My job was very technical when I was hired in 2008 and after budget and grant decreases, I had to become an overqualified secretary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour turnover is so high because you are entitled redneck. Retire already and get someone in there with an education in leadership and some tact and decency who can look at their employees in the eye before making back-door decisions about their careers.

A very bad experience working at UNC Chapel Hill

Lead Developer (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsChapel Hill is a nice place to raise a family. Working with and mentoring the best and brightest students from North Carolina and beyond was rewarding and enjoyable.

ConsSupport for my position was non-existent. After my boss was fired for inappropriate relationship with a student, my role went completed unsupported and no one seemed to care what I did from there on out. Once they found someone to take over the program, I was quietly terminated. There was zero support from the Dean, faculty, Chancellor or Vice Chancellor. I was simply expendable. That's how it goes at UNC. If something goes wrong, they sweep it under the rug and impact people's lives adversely in the blink of an eye.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership and management skills need to be improved. Continuity planning needs to be addressed.

Worse ITS deparment I have ever worked at

IT Applications Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsMedical benefits are good because the employee portion is reasonable.

ConsThe CIO has no clue as to what is going on and his actions indicate he doesn't want to know. ITS has become one of the most negative places with people starting to turn on one another. External departments do not "like" ITS and have no confidence. A lot of departments are trying to find a way to handle some or most of their own IT processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCIO - Climb out of your BMW and come down from your ivory tower and try to muster enough concern about the employees. Better yet, perhaps there is another university that you may be interested in working for.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to be happy skip this place

Office Manager (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Pros24 hours PTO for community service (if your boss wil let you take it)

ConsPay over 450$/year to park
    Health benefits on the constant decline
    Total hierarchy
    Hire Ups make you feel like crap, all the time
    All around a miserable place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice and stop treating everyone like idiots.

Business Services Coordinator

Business Service Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsEmployer offers flexible scheduling. The location is nice.

ConsBenefits are horrible, salaries are low, limited opportunity for advancement, leadership is poor

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

A great place to get an education or retire, but not much else

Human Resources Professional (Current Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsWonderful training and development programs (if your supervisor and work schedule permit your attendance). There are lots of perks to working at a top-tier public University; access to great performances and speakers (free or low cost); wonderful libraries; tuition waivers for 2 classes per year; access to great exercise facilities. There tends to be a lot of flexibility on campus, which is great for work/life balance and the extended winter holiday break is a boon!

ConsThere is an obvious lack of management training, which can lead to very hit or miss experiences for employees. Communication from upper administration trickles down to employees at a pretty slow rate. If you're coming from the private sector, be prepared for lots of bureaucracy. Not many upwardly mobile career opportunities for younger employees. Salaries offered are often well below market rate (unless you work in a department with external funding). Benefits offerings are not at all competitive. The best and brightest employees often move on to better paying institutions as quickly as possible. State budget cuts often result in zero percent salary increases (nope, not even cost of living).

Advice to Senior ManagementImproved communication and competitive salaries would greatly help to improve employee morale.

one step above a teacher's college with a pretention of becoming a tier 2 research institution

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsBeautiful Campus.
    Litteraly at the beach
    Lots of new buildings

Cons-In 6 years I have had, 2 deans, 4 Chairs and we have lost 10 Full time faculty including 2 full professors, 6 Juior Faculty and several full time Instructors.
    -They strive for mediocrity.
    -No Raise for 5b years, and then only 1.5 %
    -Inconsistency in tenure process, they move the carrot far too much and base it on popularity.
    -Lots of Machiavellian political manipulation

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement must make a decision to minimize the impact of student outrage when they do not achieve the grades they feel they should have earned or are confronted with "tough love." Stop the inmates form running the asylum.

Dedication, long unexpected hours to porr management for low pay and no advancement.

Research Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsTo be in a background chocked full of research ideas and with others that enjoy the venture of scientific inquiry.

ConsThe pay is awefull and does not support a family well. No checks and balances on supervision so some supervisors are great while the others that are not never get any better as there are no incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should evaluate employee happiness using a venue such as this.

UNC-chapel Hill as a postdoctoral training place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

Prosnice people to work with

Consnot enough space to work

Advice to Senior Managementneed to focus on research more

Management not living up to University's reputation as first rate institution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

Proshighly respected institution, State retirement benefits

ConsNo growth opportunity in my discipline; senior management in my division lacks respect for professional staff and is short sighted in meeting organizational goals

Advice to Senior Managementrespect the dedicated staff who have the professional skills, experience and institutional knowledge to successfully maintain and enhance the University's facilities and protect the safety and welfare of its students, faculty & staff

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of North Carolina reviews and ratings in North Carolina — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of North Carolina CEO Carol L. Folt. All 116 reviews posted anonymously by University of North Carolina employees.