University of North Carolina Reviews

Reset
3.9
University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt
Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Work - life balance is at its best (in 11 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is a beautiful place to live (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • State budget cuts often result in zero percent salary increases (nope, not even cost of living) (in 8 reviews)

• No raises no matter how hard you work (in 7 reviews)

1. If you want to be happy skip this place

Former Employee - Office Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina

Pros

24 hours PTO for community service (if your boss wil let you take it)

Cons

Pay over 450$/year to park Health benefits on the constant decline Total hierarchy Hire Ups make you feel like crap, all the time All around a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Be nice and stop treating everyone like idiots.

Worse ITS deparment I have ever worked at

Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - IT Applications Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

Medical benefits are good because the employee portion is reasonable.

Cons

The CIO has no clue as to what is going on and his actions indicate he doesn't want to know. ITS has become one of the most negative places with people starting to turn on one another. External departments do not "like" ITS and have no confidence. A lot of departments are trying to find a way to handle some or most of their own IT processes.

Advice to Management

CIO - Climb out of your BMW and come down from your ivory tower and try to muster enough concern about the employees. Better yet, perhaps there is another university that you may be interested in working for.

A very bad experience working at UNC Chapel Hill

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chapel Hill is a nice place to raise a family. Working with and mentoring the best and brightest students from North Carolina and beyond was rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Support for my position was non-existent. After my boss was fired for inappropriate relationship with a student, my role went completed unsupported and no one seemed to care what I did from there on out. Once they found someone to take over the program, I was quietly terminated. There was zero support from the Dean, faculty, Chancellor or Vice Chancellor. I was simply expendable. That's how it goes at UNC. If something goes wrong, they sweep it under the rug and impact people's lives adversely in the blink of an eye.

Advice to Management

Leadership and management skills need to be improved. Continuity planning needs to be addressed.

Lackluster and disappointing

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Two free classes per year.

Cons

Too many to say, but morale is low, cronyism, impossible to move up, inept incompetent managers with little to no interest in developing their employees skills or advancement, aloof faculty who are demigods in their own minds, you are basically a glorified secretary even if you have a specialized degree, you prefer seeing the vendors and facilities guys everyday instead of the gabbing secretaries who prefer Internet Explorer and stupidity to moving up and getting better jobs. My job was very technical when I was hired in 2008 and after budget and grant decreases, I had to become an overqualified secretary.

Advice to Management

Your turnover is so high because you are entitled redneck. Retire already and get someone in there with an education in leadership and some tact and decency who can look at their employees in the eye before making back-door decisions about their careers.

6. Good University

Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Respectful employer Flexible schedule Pleasant university atmosphere

Cons

Low pay Slow advancement schedule Parking is impossible

7. Management not living up to University's reputation as first rate institution

I worked at University of North Carolina

Pros

highly respected institution, State retirement benefits

Cons

No growth opportunity in my discipline; senior management in my division lacks respect for professional staff and is short sighted in meeting organizational goals

Advice to Management

respect the dedicated staff who have the professional skills, experience and institutional knowledge to successfully maintain and enhance the University's facilities and protect the safety and welfare of its students, faculty & staff

8. UNC-chapel Hill as a postdoctoral training place

I worked at University of North Carolina

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

not enough space to work

Advice to Management

need to focus on research more

Dedication, long unexpected hours to porr management for low pay and no advancement.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

To be in a background chocked full of research ideas and with others that enjoy the venture of scientific inquiry.

Cons

The pay is awefull and does not support a family well. No checks and balances on supervision so some supervisors are great while the others that are not never get any better as there are no incentives.

Advice to Management

HR should evaluate employee happiness using a venue such as this.

10. one step above a teacher's college with a pretention of becoming a tier 2 research institution

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful Campus. Litteraly at the beach Lots of new buildings

Cons

-In 6 years I have had, 2 deans, 4 Chairs and we have lost 10 Full time faculty including 2 full professors, 6 Juior Faculty and several full time Instructors. -They strive for mediocrity. -No Raise for 5b years, and then only 1.5 % -Inconsistency in tenure process, they move the carrot far too much and base it on popularity. -Lots of Machiavellian political manipulation .

Advice to Management

Management must make a decision to minimize the impact of student outrage when they do not achieve the grades they feel they should have earned or are confronted with "tough love." Stop the inmates form running the asylum.

11. A great place to get an education or retire, but not much else

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Durham, NC

Pros

Wonderful training and development programs (if your supervisor and work schedule permit your attendance). There are lots of perks to working at a top-tier public University; access to great performances and speakers (free or low cost); wonderful libraries; tuition waivers for 2 classes per year; access to great exercise facilities. There tends to be a lot of flexibility on campus, which is great for work/life balance and the extended winter holiday break is a boon!

Cons

There is an obvious lack of management training, which can lead to very hit or miss experiences for employees. Communication from upper administration trickles down to employees at a pretty slow rate. If you're coming from the private sector, be prepared for lots of bureaucracy. Not many upwardly mobile career opportunities for younger employees. Salaries offered are often well below market rate (unless you work in a department with external funding). Benefits offerings are not at all competitive. The best and brightest employees often move on to better paying institutions as quickly as possible. State budget cuts often result in zero percent salary increases (nope, not even cost of living).

Advice to Management

Improved communication and competitive salaries would greatly help to improve employee morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed