University of North Carolina

Updated Jun 17, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

116 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A typical graduate student experience

Research Assistant/Graduate Student (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsJust like other PhD student salary, at least in the bio area. You can live ok with the stipend in chapel hill area.
    The TIBBS often send out "Jobs, Postdocs, and Other Opportunities" emails to students and post-docs.

ConsBenefit sucks, insurance package is not good. Not just the RA/TA insurance, my staff friends/coworkers told me their previous jobs provide much better benefit and insurance package.

a good neplace to do research

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsI am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

ConsParking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

Fun and engaging

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Prosfun and exciting atmosphere, people are excited about the research they are doing; very collaborative environment and share resources; people are willing to help

Conschange can be a slow moving process, caught up in bureaucratic red tape; like most university jobs, can be underpaid

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good place

Instructor (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Prosnice co-workers, good atmosphere, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge. almost do the same routine

good place

Instructor (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Prosnice people, nice place, do not push you, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge as an instructor

Fantastic experience as a graduate student

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsThe folks at HSRC are great. I learned a lot about bicycle and pedestrian safety. People here are passionate about the center's mission and share that passion with others. They gave me a lot of opportunities to write articles, go to seminars, and do independent research. They respected my suggestions and published my work pretty quickly, which was gratifying. Pay was decent and hours were flexible. One of my supervisors still keeps in touch and gives great advice. Other students and staff were friendly and we often socialized outside of work.

ConsGrowth opportunities could be better. Would have stayed on if I could, but it's very funding-dependent. It's mostly desk work which can become a little dull at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

My job is easy and awesome. Just keep all students, faculty and staff happy as a retail cashier

Retail Cashier (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat benefits, meeting new people, loyal customers, very fun environment

ConsGetting a day off when your the main one that opens up in the morning can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better in training their employees

One of the most well equipped universities to complete a postdoc

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsState of the art facilities, plenty of grant money, exciting research. Great people to work with and a great reputation, especially locally.

ConsYou are a postdoc. Bottom of the Ponzi scheme that is academia. Long work hours with minimal compensation. However, it is the system that is broken, not the institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for postdocs looking for the next step.

Lackluster and disappointing

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsTwo free classes per year.

ConsToo many to say, but morale is low, cronyism, impossible to move up, inept incompetent managers with little to no interest in developing their employees skills or advancement, aloof faculty who are demigods in their own minds, you are basically a glorified secretary even if you have a specialized degree, you prefer seeing the vendors and facilities guys everyday instead of the gabbing secretaries who prefer Internet Explorer and stupidity to moving up and getting better jobs. My job was very technical when I was hired in 2008 and after budget and grant decreases, I had to become an overqualified secretary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour turnover is so high because you are entitled redneck. Retire already and get someone in there with an education in leadership and some tact and decency who can look at their employees in the eye before making back-door decisions about their careers.

Job didn't last as long as I was promised

Applications Analyst (Former Employee)
    Chapel Hill, NC

ProsI worked with a great group of people in a fantastic work environment. I was told the job would last several years.

ConsThe job barely lasted a year. No raises because of the State Legislature. Office of Human Resources has no idea what they are doing, so try to work with the individual department if at all possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a total overhaul of the Office of Human Resources.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of North Carolina reviews and ratings in North Carolina — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of North Carolina CEO Carol L. Folt. All 116 reviews posted anonymously by University of North Carolina employees.