University of North Carolina Reviews

Reset

1. Solid employer

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Hillsborough, NC
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Hillsborough, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a university environment is a good fit for people who are looking for a job that will allow you to balance work and home life.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape and it is often difficult to push new ideas forward.

2. Great place to work with high standards and freedom to do your job

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits of the position were great. The support staff was helpful and this allowed me to do my job with minimal administrative headaches. Facilities were well kept. Busy work was kept to a minimum.

Cons

Parking is a hassle. Constant new construction. Not much room for advancement in my position. Not as high paying as some research jobs.

3. Working at UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

Great environment for research, Many collaborations available for basic science research, translational research (with UNC Hospital Faculties), and interdisciplinary collaborations between labs in the school of Medicine, school of Pharmacy and school of Public Health.

Cons

Depending on the principal investigator, the workload can be heavy. In order to succeed in science at the highest level, you need both luck and hard work.

Advice to Management

Great career if you are passionate in doing science research.

5. Surplus Warehouse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule great working environment.

Cons

Though full-time this is a hybrid temporary position. You work for 11 months then take a month off. This is so they don't have to pay benefits.

6. Convenient and decent

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job doesn't take much ability and all the people are nice. Hours can be odd but they're pretty flexible as far as shifts go. Decent pay and they treat employees well and try to bring in things to make the job less stressful and boring

Cons

Part time so getting many hours can be difficult not to mention working so long will tire one out. Everything done on computer so eye strain after many hours

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing and make sure to get feedback from staff about concerns and/or issues they have.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, but very mission driven. This is a great place to work with passionate and ambitious students, and the ethos of the Y is always to push the boundaries and do better while remaining grounded in the mission.

Cons

There are only a few staff members, and although there is a lot of flexibility and ownership given to staff members, there are limitations because of the size of the organization. Really no cons though!

Advice to Management

No advice to give! Excellent management.

8. Visual merchandising intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got a discount once per semester. Had a great time and wouldn't have left but it wasn't going to further me in my career.

Cons

Nothing bad to say.

Research Coordinator and Clinical Examiner

Current Employee - Research Study Coordinator In School of Medicine in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Academic freedom and hours. Supportive departmental administration and faculty. Family-friendly.

Cons

Salaries not as competitive as local private Universities and corporate and non-profit companies. Raises are rare because we are tied to the state budget and legislature. Many positions are frozen when people leave, and so those that remain incur more duties and responsibilities with less resources and financial incentive. Because of the above reasons, we are less competitive with other entities and are losing bright, essential staff and faculty members.

great place to work, overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrboro, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina (Less than a year)

Pros

kind and team-oriented staff, beautiful campus, many resources available to employees, great for student employment, large campus, diverse student body and workforce

Cons

expensive parking, difficult hours and conditions for transportation staff, expenses on campus are high, i.e. food and other options

11. UNC Chapel Hill

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

This is a beautiful campus, with lots of nice people. The surrounding town of Chapel Hill is a nice place, and it is also accessible from Durham by bus.

Cons

As a postdoctoral fellow at a university, much of the experience is determined by the lab I am in rather than at the level of the university. Parking is an issue. The little parking that is available on campus is expensive and often distant. I take the bus from Durham, which is a pleasant ride, during which I can read or enjoy the scenery, but on the rare occasion when I need to drive in, my parking options are not good.

Advice to Management

As a postdoctoral fellow in the School of Medicine, I could do without the regular emails from the University president and others about how the university is working with this or that community to address the latest issue that has to do with an athletic scandal or is only relevant to undergraduates. This is a minor complaint. Certainly not affecting my work.

RSS Feed </> Embed