University of North Carolina

Updated December 12, 2014
3.8

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt
Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Reasonable cost of living (having lived in Midwest and West coast) in Chapel Hill/Carrboro areas (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

138 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Government bureaucracy

Former Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

state government job.. good place to retire.. nice pension

Cons

state government job.. lots of inefficiency.. pay is ridiculous low

Job didn't last as long as I was promised

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with a great group of people in a fantastic work environment. I was told the job would last several years.

Cons

The job barely lasted a year. No raises because of the State Legislature. Office of Human Resources has no idea what they are doing, so try to work with the individual department if at all possible.

Consider a total overhaul of the Office of Human Resources.

Great University

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My professor I worked under was very kind and understanding. I learned a lot in my time TA-ing and have a better understanding of what professors and TAs are looking for when grading tests and assignments.

Cons

Sometimes lectures and recitations and assignments are a little disorganized. Its hard to evenly distribute work between TAs.

Try to be a bit more fair in terms of how to divide up work between TAs since we're all getting paid the same rate.

Quality university with an abundance of resources

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From a scientific research standpoint, there are many quality researchers and opportunities for collaboration. The facilities are high quality. Basically anything you need you can find somewhere on campus.

Cons

Transportation can be quite an issue. At peak times, the small roads in and out are extremely congested. Parking is horrendous compared to my former university. They are working on expanding garages, but it will still be an issue.

Lackluster and disappointing

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Two free classes per year.

Cons

Too many to say, but morale is low, cronyism, impossible to move up, inept incompetent managers with little to no interest in developing their employees skills or advancement, aloof faculty who are demigods in their own minds, you are basically a glorified secretary even if you have a specialized degree, you prefer seeing the vendors and facilities guys everyday instead of the gabbing secretaries who prefer Internet Explorer and stupidity to moving up and getting better jobs. My job was very technical when I was hired in 2008 and after budget and grant decreases, I had to become an overqualified secretary.

Your turnover is so high because you are entitled redneck. Retire already and get someone in there with an education in leadership and some tact and decency who can look at their employees in the eye before making back-door decisions about their careers.

Great experience, friendly work environment with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for research and collaboration abound. If you know what you want to do, and are interested in finding interdisciplinary collaborators, there are essentially unlimited possibilities for cutting-edge research. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place to live. Can't beat the weather, access to nearby cities (and the airport is a 25 minute drive!), and general cultural diversity.

Cons

Salaries are competitive, but living in the area is expensive - housing in particular. Expect to pay "big city" prices if you want to live close to campus. State budget cuts have left some basic services and building upkeep by the wayside. It's hit and miss - some areas of campus are state-of-the-art, others are attended to only once they start (literally) falling apart.

Administrative staffing seems to have become more bare-bones since I arrived here.

Nice, laid-back atmosphere.

Current Employee - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Allows for growth through experimenting with new software and hardware. Lots of learning potential. Manager is very understanding.Don't get pushed to your limits, and has flexible work hours. Gained lots of important exposure into the field of IT Security.

Cons

Sometimes I wish I could ask for more work to do just to gain further exposure however I realize this would involve access that is beyond my pay-grade.

Be willing to interface with the employees and open to suggestions for more growth opportunities.

Great clinical staff

Former Employee - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The labor and delivery unit is fantastic

Cons

As a contractor, there aren't many future opportunities available.

Have someone there to meet the after go-live needs of your staff...someone they are comfortable with and someone who is knowledgable.

Nice Area

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Good place to work with countless professionals.

Cons

Pay can be pretty poor.

Students are your core so stop making them just a dollar sign.

Good Postdoctoral education but no opportunities to advance.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Very energetic and collaborative surroundings. Good campus.

Cons

Low pay. Lack of support in developing a career path.

University of North Carolina Photos