University of North Dakota

3.5

University of North Dakota President Robert O. Kelley
Robert O. Kelley

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great university, proud of have worked there

Former Employee - Enrollment Services in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Enrollment Services in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at University of North Dakota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High quality institution, supportive environment, opportunities for learning and advancement, great benefits.

Cons

Hard work not always financially rewarded; under-performers are rarely let go and often receive similar pay as top performers.

Worst experience ever--Earth System Science and Policy Department !!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was working for Earth System Science and Policy Department. The pros I found was that the workplace had small working group, good attitude co-workers.

Cons

Professors of the Earth System Science and Policy Department are the real craps. They take personal biases with their fellow co-workers & students and their inflated ego is very hard to deal with. Very negative attitude personnel I ever confronted in my entire life.

Please take care of the professors who are ruling their territory with unkindness, unfairness, inflated ego and injustice to students

Choose a different University, unless...

I have been working at University of North Dakota part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the city of Grand Forks. The people are nice, the bars are great, and it is easy to meet quality friends. I grew up in the desert, so the winters were intense, but they are also beautiful. The University has a beautiful campus. The Hockey games are amazing. The Parrots Cay is the best food in this city.

Cons

This negative review is only for the College of Engineering and Mines and for Graduate Students. I would advise American born students with engineering degrees to avoid this university. Very few of the professors in this college are Professional Engineers, and many that are registered left the university. Most of the professors are foreign born, lack professional engineering registration, and their academic publications are in subpar journals. As a graduate student I put in roughly 45-55 hours per week just for research, and I was paid for 20. I felt harassed if I did not do additional work. I even had to ask my department for a paycheck they didn't give me, haha. After earning my degree, I obtained professional employment without any recommendations or help from professors at this institution. I would advise potential students to find an opportunity at a better university, taking out loans will be better than working under subpar academic staff. If you want free graduate school, unchallenging work, and a great party town UND CEM is a fantastic opportunity. Also, I felt that this institution attracted numerous people that are trying to get rich off of North Dakota oil, which creates an overall negative situation, but whatever.

Place more emphasis on hiring American born engineers, hire hard working foreign engineers that get published in well-known journals.

unforgettable

I have been working at University of North Dakota part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people, good-work balance, peers are nice

Cons

management is not that efficient

no advice

nice and great place to work. nice and great place to work. nice and great place to work.

Current Employee - Resident Manager in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Resident Manager in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work atmosphere nice and great place to work. nice and great place to work.

Cons

cold weather in the winter, have to walk out often which is terrible

keep it up!

Satisfied

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job is Very Satisfactory and No Crime rate

Cons

Town has very harsh winters

Up and coming university

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great university to learn to teach without a huge research load right away. Salaries are on the rise compared to competition for master's level universities

Cons

Cost of living, especially housing, is on the rise. The weather is horrible, and sometimes the relationship between the university and locals is frayed.

So far so good, have no major issues. Some coworkers are mehh, some are awesome. Just depends.

Current Employee - Aircraft Refueler in Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Aircraft Refueler in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Works great around a students schedule.

Cons

Some late nights
    Pay
    Some of management changing things on a daily basis.

Stop focusing so heavily on safety to the point that check-lists are 9 pages long.

Resident Assistant

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Grand Forks, ND
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Grand Forks, ND

I worked at University of North Dakota as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment is great. They training provided is very inclusive of real situations. The atmosphere is very supportive and RHD's focus on teamwork and individual improvement; lots of one on one.

Cons

You live at your job! Sometimes residents are very combative and it makes you feel like you are the "villain."

Keep up the good work.

Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at University of North Dakota full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits (medical and classes). (Mostly) Friendly employees.

Cons

Stifled vertical career movement. Pay is significantly lower than equivalent jobs in industry. Many administrative employees seem to have a "work for the weekend" mentality. Really depends on the department though, but I don't get a drive for success.

Change hiring procedures. Applications should be computerized by now. Too many paper forms with HR. Internal applicants should be given preference, but options are quickly limited when those postings are made separately.