www.unf.edu

Updated September 24, 2014
3.7

University of North Florida President John A. Delaney
John A. Delaney

Great place to be a student worker!

I have been working at University of North Florida

Pros

Offers schedules accommodating to classes

Cons

Work study programs are minimum wage

Stable job but subpar pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good. If you are a budgeted employee, you can take up to 6 credit hours of classes tuition free if you are want to continue your education. Plenty of time off including winter break and spring break. People rarely get fired and there's more job security. Plenty of opportunities to advance into other jobs and it looks good on your resume.

Cons

The salaries are low. There are rarely any raises because it depends on if the state wants to allocate money to increasing pay for state workers every fiscal year. Sometimes there is a high turnover rate.

The upper management needs to stop treating their employees like children. The office I work at encourages no talking or getting up too much. We are all adults here and we don't need to have constant eyes on us. I believe we are all doing our jobs efficiently.

Good work/life balance.

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

President has worked hard to avoid layoffs during the state budget cuts. Plenty of opportunity for professional development. Extra paid time off around Christmas holiday.

Cons

Government compensation. It's not going to compete with a corporate environment. Retirement was once excellent, but has been cut back by the state.

Pick an identity for the University to focus on. Many, sometimes competing initiatives and strategic goals.

Loved teaching but adjunct professor pay was very low

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Students were anxious to learn. I taught upper class courses, required for the students major, so most were engaged, asked plenty of questions and truly appeared to benefit from what I was teaching.

Cons

Virtually no orientation for new adjunct staff. Too many courses taught by adjunct professors due to limited full time resources. The pay was pitiful. $2000/semester per 3 credit hour course. 3 credit hours required 30 hours of classroom instruction + all the time needed to create assignments, grade assignments, create exams and answer student emails, questions etc. At 30 hrs per semester, it looks like you're making $67/hour. But you actually spend double that time if you are seriously teaching and responding to students. You also have to pay to park!!!! Incredible - low pay and pay to park on campus if you want to teach.

Great overall experience, loved working there and have no regrets.

Former Employee - Senior Peer Educator to the Department of Health Promotions in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a student and young man, it offered me the ability to gain leadership experience, interaction skills, communication abilities, and an insight as to how a small department is run and managed. This in turn prepared me for my everyday career and assisted me with taking leadership rolls readily.

Cons

There are politics involved within and between departments and finance is always an issue secondary to the fact that departments need to demonstrate their worth on a regular basis. Slightly stressful at times, yet manageable with a level head.

Training is expected with this being a university. Most students who begin to work on campus are educated on their tasks, communication abilities and requirements, and goals that they have to achieve. The position I was working did not have any time off, however you could rotate your hours easily and work more if there were days that you needed off. Very flexible schedule.

Current Employee - Support Staff in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smaller teaching-focused university with a beautiful campus. Great benefits including lots of paid time off and free credits each semester.

Cons

Really low salaries and not many opportunities for merit-based pay raises or advancement.

Compensation should be increased to compete with other colleges and universities.

Good for stable income and minimal stress

Current Employee - Budget Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Budget Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is pretty relaxed since it is a small public university. There are some great benefits and employee discounts available for those who work here.

Cons

Their accounting system is pretty old. Could use better training and team building techniques for better office culture. Compensation is better for the higher ups. Not much opportunity for growth.

Do more while others take credit

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time

Pros

The benefits of working in an academic environment are apparent. Health insurance, good retirement, educational opportunities.

Cons

The pay is low. All UNF employees go many years without a raise. They heap more and more work on people without compensation and often without recognition. Burn out rate for staff is high because of this. HR is absolutely resistant to compensating people for the actual work that they do.

Value your staff. Consider forgoing raises on those over $150K for a while. Distribute raises to those doing all the actual day to day work but are not really making a living wage.

I had a very rewarding career at UNF

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for the best Director on campus. She always encouraged me to take the opportunity for any type of training that would assist me in my daily duties.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunities

Listen to employees more

Overall good experience, not-so-good pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida full-time

Pros

Working at UNF has a community feel to it. Full-time positions come with a lot of benefits including great heath insurance, free gym membership, tuition reimbursement, etc.

Cons

The hierarchy at UNF is out of control. Pay is only so-so with not a lot of chances for it to improve.

In order to attract the right employees the university needs to find a way to provide better salaries.