University of North Florida

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of North Florida President John A. Delaney

John A. Delaney

I had a very rewarding career at UNF

Project Assistant (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsI worked for the best Director on campus. She always encouraged me to take the opportunity for any type of training that would assist me in my daily duties.

ConsNot a lot of advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more

University of North Florida

Support Staff (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsSmaller teaching-focused university with a beautiful campus. Great benefits including lots of paid time off and free credits each semester.

ConsReally low salaries and not many opportunities for merit-based pay raises or advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be increased to compete with other colleges and universities.

Good for stable income and minimal stress

Budget Associate (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe environment is pretty relaxed since it is a small public university. There are some great benefits and employee discounts available for those who work here.

ConsTheir accounting system is pretty old. Could use better training and team building techniques for better office culture. Compensation is better for the higher ups. Not much opportunity for growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do more while others take credit

ProsThe benefits of working in an academic environment are apparent. Health insurance, good retirement, educational opportunities.

ConsThe pay is low. All UNF employees go many years without a raise. They heap more and more work on people without compensation and often without recognition. Burn out rate for staff is high because of this. HR is absolutely resistant to compensating people for the actual work that they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff. Consider forgoing raises on those over $150K for a while. Distribute raises to those doing all the actual day to day work but are not really making a living wage.

Overall good experience, not-so-good pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsWorking at UNF has a community feel to it. Full-time positions come with a lot of benefits including great heath insurance, free gym membership, tuition reimbursement, etc.

ConsThe hierarchy at UNF is out of control. Pay is only so-so with not a lot of chances for it to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to attract the right employees the university needs to find a way to provide better salaries.

very nice

ProsGreat place to work. Easy benefits. Show and do your job and all will be fine. As with any small place advancement is tough.

ConsSmall university. Union labor work so people do just enough to get by which gets annoying. Don't take things to personally

satisfying for starting out in a career, developing, bureaucratic

Director (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosgreat environment, training opportunities, educational opportunities, good time off (spring break, winter break, holidays)

Conslow salary, bureaucratic, state reduction in budgets

Advice to Senior Managementthe organization is going through a growing stage, thus reorganization and shrinking budgets has limited growth opportunities.

Mediocrity Rules

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsSome departments are fine, others are horrible. Ambivalent students don't place much demand on profs - the less work you give them the happier they are. Great location.

ConsMediocre administration going all the way up to the president. Students would rather be somewhere else. Weak Faculty Union. Florida state has a weak commitment to education in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real president, provost, etc.

Good for gaining professional experience but ideally this is where you work when you're close to retiring.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGood time off, sick leave and paid holidays. 1 1/2 weeks of Christmas break and 4 days of Spring break. 3 credits of free education per semester for yourself, dependents or spouse. Discounts and perks on the HR website.

ConsAll the salaries are really low. No room for advancement without further education. No raises at all. There is no such thing as office coffee, water, food, etc. because it is a State agency. No interaction between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing everything right.

Great position for student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat position for student. Flexible M-F hours around schedule. Access to computers and printers to do schoolwork. Nice coworkers and faculty.

ConsPay not great, but it was part time work so it is to be expected. Need to pay for parking pass to park at school. Manager not a people person.

Worked for University of North Florida? Contribute to the Community!