University of North Florida

Great experience!

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida

Pros

This is a great place to work for self growth. As a student attending the university this was a great place to meet lots of new people and find yourself along the way!

Cons

A lot of time commitment and not enough compensation. It is important to stay on everyone's good side too, as there tends to be a lot of drama!

You guys are great and do a fantastic job at staying out of the small drama. You stay unbiased and focused on your mission! Bravo!

Don't work for the housing office.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its fun to interacting with the students, and the job was easy.

Cons

The housing office has to be one of the worst establishments I have ever worked for. They also make you work on holidays without extra pay.

Treat people how you would like to be treated.

Great coworkers and beautiful campus.

I worked at University of North Florida

Pros

close to beach and town center

Cons

State budget and thus campus funding very limited

Great perks, low pay

Current Employee - Program Assistant, the Graduate School in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Program Assistant, the Graduate School in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, perks, great environment

Cons

very low pay, disorganized, not well-defined roles

be willing to pay people what they are worth and enough to live.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Coordinator, Administrative Services in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Coordinator, Administrative Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, coworkers and overall work environment are all wonderful.

Cons

Different managers are over each department, so they vary across campus. Not all bosses are created equal.

Focus on in-house talent and providing opportunities for promotion throughout the organization. There are many coordinators on campus who have no career direction in terms of promotion.

Great place to be a student worker!

I have been working at University of North Florida

Pros

Offers schedules accommodating to classes

Cons

Work study programs are minimum wage

Good work/life balance.

Pros

President has worked hard to avoid layoffs during the state budget cuts. Plenty of opportunity for professional development. Extra paid time off around Christmas holiday.

Cons

Government compensation. It's not going to compete with a corporate environment. Retirement was once excellent, but has been cut back by the state.

Pick an identity for the University to focus on. Many, sometimes competing initiatives and strategic goals.

Loved teaching but adjunct professor pay was very low

Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Students were anxious to learn. I taught upper class courses, required for the students major, so most were engaged, asked plenty of questions and truly appeared to benefit from what I was teaching.

Cons

Virtually no orientation for new adjunct staff. Too many courses taught by adjunct professors due to limited full time resources. The pay was pitiful. $2000/semester per 3 credit hour course. 3 credit hours required 30 hours of classroom instruction + all the time needed to create assignments, grade assignments, create exams and answer student emails, questions etc. At 30 hrs per semester, it looks like you're making $67/hour. But you actually spend double that time if you are seriously teaching and responding to students. You also have to pay to park!!!! Incredible - low pay and pay to park on campus if you want to teach.

Great overall experience, loved working there and have no regrets.

Former Employee - Senior Peer Educator to the Department of Health Promotions in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a student and young man, it offered me the ability to gain leadership experience, interaction skills, communication abilities, and an insight as to how a small department is run and managed. This in turn prepared me for my everyday career and assisted me with taking leadership rolls readily.

Cons

There are politics involved within and between departments and finance is always an issue secondary to the fact that departments need to demonstrate their worth on a regular basis. Slightly stressful at times, yet manageable with a level head.

Training is expected with this being a university. Most students who begin to work on campus are educated on their tasks, communication abilities and requirements, and goals that they have to achieve. The position I was working did not have any time off, however you could rotate your hours easily and work more if there were days that you needed off. Very flexible schedule.

Stable job but subpar pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good. If you are a budgeted employee, you can take up to 6 credit hours of classes tuition free if you are want to continue your education. Plenty of time off including winter break and spring break. People rarely get fired and there's more job security. Plenty of opportunities to advance into other jobs and it looks good on your resume.

Cons

The salaries are low. There are rarely any raises because it depends on if the state wants to allocate money to increasing pay for state workers every fiscal year. Sometimes there is a high turnover rate.

The upper management needs to stop treating their employees like children. The office I work at encourages no talking or getting up too much. We are all adults here and we don't need to have constant eyes on us. I believe we are all doing our jobs efficiently.