University of North Texas

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

University of North Texas President V. Lane Rawlins
V. Lane Rawlins

Pros
  • Great students and a wonderful work environment (in 11 reviews)

• It is easy to maintain a work-life balance working at UNT and the opportunities for cross-training are vast (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no cons really, it's just a part time job (in 6 reviews)

• 800 per month for 20 hours per week (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work, nice town

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it has a nice training program that helps newbie ready for the position

Cons

pay is low, and the work itself is not very challenging

they are doing good on this.

Grad School

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great research opportunities and excellent chemistry faculty.

Cons

Tuition still applies to graduate students

Remove graduate tuition and promote research and grant funding as a means of replacement for the missed income to the univeristy

Clusterfuck

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty decent for student employment pay. Flexible hours depending on the position.

Cons

I was no longer needed so I was let go with no notice, the reason being that I missed an event while I was sick, even though I was told that it was fine. I did all the creative work for said event and received no credit. In Texas as a student employee you can't get unemployment benefits. I lost everything.

Ask student employees to review their supervisors. You'd be surprised at what they get away with.

Great place as assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best Place to work as teaching assistant. Upper management is accessible. Really lovely people to work with and supportive as well. You can do your own work while you are free from the students.

Cons

No hike on the career. Salary is very low. Working hour is sometime annoying. I highly recommend this university for international students as well as those who are seeking job opportunities here.

Should give some more benefit to the teaching assistant as well.

Graduate Teaching Fellows Beware

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Largest School of Music on the planet. The ensembles and facilities are numerous and spectacular. The faculty is good and there genuinely are people interested in being decent humans.

Cons

One of the major challenges encountered was the pay rate given to Graduate Teaching Fellows. I'm sorry, but 6000/year and no tuition reimbursement for the duties and "extra things" that are required; the education and the experience gained simply aren't worth it.

The biggest doesn't mean it's the best. Stop the big green machine and treat people who deserve it with respect.

Two steps forward and one step back

Current Employee - Construction Specialist III
    Current Employee - Construction Specialist III

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low-stress environment, Facilities staff are good-hearted people, stable job, clear lines of responsibility and job functions, exciting period of potential growth and improvement of the university, competitive benefits package. There are some bright and experienced individuals across the board in various administrative and academic departments that make collaboration fun and meaningful.

Cons

Political culture, lack of vision for integrating similar but disparate university functions, salary increases are difficult and rare, poor fiscal transparency. Facilities Management staff are generally not driven to strive for improvements in work practices because there's an older, jaded workforce that is weary of change or new things because their compensation will not increase. Not a great place for young, eager professionals looking for exciting challenges in their everyday jobs.

Good place to gain experience

I worked at University of North Texas full-time

Pros

Benefits, time off, and balance

Cons

Pay well below private market for similar positions

If only it paid a living wage

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist III in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist III in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment. Great benefits like huge discounts on tuition. They encourage their full time employees to continue their educations and celebrate their successes. They allow a lot of time off. Vacation, sick leave, holidays, and comp time (because they do not pay overtime.) They seem to care a great deal about their employees...they call off work if their is any ice. Personally, I love the students. They satisfy my maternal instincts. I think being in this atmosphere keeps me thinking young. Lots of really nice, interesting, talented co-workers

Cons

The pay is atrocious. Really really low. I have been there for 2 1/2 years and have only received one ann raise of $700. The politics can be positively Byzantine. Better be careful not to challenge any of the long haul employees. They can find a reason to "write you up" if they want to.

Its a great school!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthy and student friendly environment that would allow you to grow as a person. Helps you learn while you teach and give back to the school.

Cons

University of north Texas is a great place to work for and so far I have had only good experiences here. I highly recommend this university for international students as well as those who are seeking job opportunities here.

UNT is great with international students. I want to see this university grow and be in top tier soon.

Graet

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. It's laid back and not too much work most days. It's a great place to work if you want to study and work at the same time.

Cons

great just for park time work. not so great if this is your only source of income.

nothing you all are doing a great job.

University of North Texas Photos