University of North Texas

Updated November 20, 2014
3.8

University of North Texas President V. Lane Rawlins
V. Lane Rawlins

Pros
  • Great students and a wonderful work environment (in 11 reviews)

• It is easy to maintain a work-life balance working at UNT and the opportunities for cross-training are vast (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no cons really, it's just a part time job (in 6 reviews)

• 800 per month for 20 hours per week (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Student Job

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is super easy, and you can watch TV on the internet or listen to music while you're working.

Cons

It is so mind numbingly boring that I could barely force myself to stay awake some days. If I didn't get a full night's sleep would would seriously fall asleep mid-click sometimes.

When I first started it was much more friendly and felt like a family. When the department was divided onto two floors that stopped.

Full Time Staff member

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits - Insurance, retirement fund, sick leave, vacation leave. In my department, I had a pretty flexible schedule. FT Faculty and Staff get a tuition discount if you want to take classes.

Cons

Very little room to move up if you don't have the proper on-paper credentials. I could not get promoted because of my lack of a master's degree, despite having years of experience. From what I am told, these are requirements of the State of Texas, not my department's. The pay rate is barely liveable for a one-person household.

I enjoy working for everyone who is above me. They are doing all the right things to make this a good workplace, and to promote the mission of my department.

Great Place to work

I worked at University of North Texas part-time

Pros

Nice student environment, depending on your department.

Cons

You just have to deal with the bad days like everyone else.

Student Assistant

I have been working at University of North Texas

Pros

flexablity with student assistant's schedule

Cons

tedious assignments when there is nothing really to do

hire a guy

A great work environment, but low pay

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and so is the environment, but don't expect to get a raise the entire time you're here.

Cons

No pay increases, fear of retaliation

UNT Adjunct Professor

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great students and a wonderful work environment. You teach the subjects that you love to students who want to learn about your passions. The campus is beautiful and the kids are smart and motivated.

Cons

As an Adjunct Professor, one is never sure if there will be funding for the next semester. Consequently, I had to plan for other sources of income outside of my teaching responsibilities. Also, there are no benefits as an Adjunct Professor.

I have no problem with part-time professors - as long as they know the subject matter and receive adequate pay and benefits. Furthermore, they need job security once they have proven themselves capable in the classroom. It would also be a good idea if they could work towards a career path, such as a Ph.D program if they only have a Masters degree or a full Assistant Professor appointment if their student and faculty evaluations are worthy. Publishing opportunities would also be valuable to establish their credentials for future job opportunities.

Summer Internship

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The schedule we received was flexible - 8 hour workdays with mandatory hours between 10 - 2 (with the possibility of working from home some) and that was very nice.

Cons

The job didn't have much guidance. Didn't see management at all on some days, and saw them for no more than an hour on every other day.

Possibly guide students along more. Part of the experience is being able to self teach from reading research papers, but sometimes it is really helpful to listen to a quick crash course on certain difficult subjects.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING TO WORK WITH! MY TIME WITH THEM WAS WONDERFUL . ALL CONS AND NO NEGATIVES. ALL PROFESSONAL1

Former Employee - Consultant in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I would work for UNT again in a heartbeat. Professors were always professional and I please don't hesitate to be a student or consultant for them.

Cons

Absolutely nothing. Amazing group to work with.

KEEP the Geriatric Program. I know it was consider for discontinuation. What was Administration thinking? Duh....look at the numbers of the aging population.

Great people, fantastic for someone new to employment.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at University of North Texas part-time

Pros

I worked with amazing people at UNT - everyone was nice, helpful, friendly, and stayed on task. It felt like I was helping friends out rather than pushing my way through a daily grind. Questions were welcomed, I never felt inferior or like my input wasn't worth anything.

Cons

After 2 years I was at the same position and making $.50 only more an hour than when I started. I learned a bunch, but it was still only enough to keep me from getting fired. Not really any opportunity for advancement. When I had little to do, I would ask higher-ups, but they'd have nothing for me - some shifts were spent doing homework.

Proper training sessions for lower-level employees would be awesome! As an administrative assistant I learned smatterings of how to do this or that, but I never learned enough about anything in particular to work my way up.

SA

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience, and great room to grow as a student and leader. Helps with teamwork, etc.

Cons

Time management issues. Sometimes it can be difficult to manage the job and classes at the same time.

Nothing, really