University of Northumbria

University of Northumbria Vice-Chancellor & Chief Executive Andrew Wathey
Andrew Wathey

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great faculty, terrible department

Current Employee - Lecturer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Northumbria full-time (less than an year)

Pros

University and faculty management passion and support for research.

Cons

Too much admin/teaching requirements
    Departmental management not keen on research
    Lack of transparency at the departmental management level

Apoint futuristic managers at departmental level not problem fixers.

I taught there for over ten years as a Programme Leader.

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Lecturer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at University of Northumbria full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent, dedicated,colleagues who provided first class tuition and support in the face of many handicaps.

Cons

Appalling management that resorted to bullying academic staff. This has led to the loss of many experienced academic and support staff.

Senior and middle management would make bad decisions, refuse to listen to feedback from academic and technical staff, and then blame them when things went wrong. Bad policies would be introduced with a fanfare and then quietly dropped when they failed. Usually staff would not be informed that these policies had been dropped and would continue trying to implement the unworkable long after their demise.

There was a complete lack of priorities, every management idea was urgent and top priority.

Towards the end of my time there I found that overseas students with poor English language skills were being recruited which meant I had to pair them with another student who shared their language but had better English so that they could translate for them, This was very unfair to them both. I found that staff had to fight to maintain academic standards as middle management seemed intent on 'dumbing down' the curricula.

Listen to your staff! You employed them because they are intelligent and experienced so stop treating them like fools by ignoring their feedback and suggestions.

Stop the middle management bullying of staff. I consider that I was bullied out of my job by incompetent middle management. I was extremely successful in recruiting students, my students gained excellent results and developed world class careers yet I was made to feel a failure by inexperienced management figures that were former Northumbria students and had never worked in another academic institution. In the end I was told by the Dean that if I didn't accept early retirement I would be micro-managed and it was strongly hinted that allegations about me would be fabricated: "...and you will leave with nothing." My 30 year career was ruined, I haven't worked since.

Lack of promotion opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Northumbria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance.
    Nice people.
    Students are generally good.
    Facilities are excellent.
    Investment in buildings.

Cons

Management have no idea what is actually going on.
    Promotion on the basis of brown-nosing rather than ability.
    Admin heavy.

Open up communication channels, trust your staff more and seek their opinions.

University of Northumbria Photos

University of Northumbria (Photo thanks to Geograph user Trevor Littlewood, Some Rights Reserved)
University of Northumbria (Photo thanks to Geograph user Andrew Curtis, Some Rights Reserved)
University of Northumbria Campus Building (Photo thanks to Geograph user Weston Beggard, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo