University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Alan Cureton

Adjunct faculty - FOCUS program

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
Roseville, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat mentors, helpfully-written instructor guides, low teacher/student ratios (12 students max), responsive student services departments, strong focus on student success. Academic advisors are in touch with students and easy to work with.

ConsI've had a small handful of students over the years who probably should not have been admitted to the program because they were not prepared for college. Also, some of the prerequisite courses were offered simultaneously with higher level courses (and students were allowed to take both at the same time). To their credit, the department corrected this very quickly and it has improved student success.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some more jobs! I'd love to work there full-time.

Great place to work but could improve

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

ProsGreat people to work with but can be slightly frustrating at time due to lack of communication between people on the project.

ConsYou have to know people in order to get jobs. Usually they hire from within but they are running pretty thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box more. When you have to make cuts, make sure certain positions/people do not have so much on their plate they can't do their job properly.

Most of the time a nice place to work, occasionally some very poor decisions by upper management and human resources

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

ProsValues, Ethical, we care about each other, good 403b and health insurance, don't need to worry about bad language or womanizers/improprieties, belief in Christ strong

ConsThe best employees are sometimes overloaded and then burnt out, or in the past people treated very poorly during job cuts/restructuring

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have values - make sure you LIVE by those values with every decision you make. Christian businesses shouldn't be about how we "look", i.e. our image, but about how closely we follow the commandments of Christ

Freedom to turn ideas into actions.

Assistant Director of Experienital Education (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

ProsIntegrate faith in the workplace.
Work closely with great students, faculty & staff.

ConsToo much to do. Higher ed is sometimes slow to move.

Great Place To Work

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Prosflexible hours, dedicated staff, energized student body

Conssalary might be low, but benefits make up for it.
small company, can be difficult moving up.

An excellnt learning and growth opportunity being a part of a large team of employees in the Northwestern network

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

ProsThe management is wonderful and everyone works hard at their job and tasks. It's one of those jobs where your co-workers are some of your closest friends, the community is great. There is a great amount of talent among the employees of the college and therefore it is a privilege to get connected with such a great group of people.

ConsIt is is hard for an outsider to get in. Many people want to work there and there just simply aren't enough positions available to expand. The budget is not doing very well right now and therefore many of the employees are not getting pay increases or anything.

Great people, great work.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

ProsThe people who work for Northwestern Media love what they do because they all sense the impact they are making on people's lives. Northwestern Media staff really promote that.

ConsThe only con would be it's need for more air-staff, rather than some air-staff doubling with other duties and jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management.

Worked in research lab

Lab Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

ProsI enjoyed being able to work at my own pace. My boss was very flexible in giving me time off to study for classes.

ConsI had three separate bosses which made it confusing knowing who to go talk to. The labs got very warm.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more lab assistants because it is too difficult for one or two people to maintain the entire Biology wing.

Worked for University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN CEO Alan Cureton. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN employees.