University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Reset
3.9
Alan Cureton

1. A great community

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are so nice and welcoming, and the culture here has a lot of good things going for it. Over the years I've been working here, I've experienced wonderful friendships and camaraderie. Plenty of events for employees as well. The community aspects are top-notch. People in every job or department take a lot of satisfaction from their work, and being able to serve the students well is one of the main goals of the staff and faculty.

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of opportunity for advancement, so if that's what you're looking for in a job, this might not be for you. Not necessarily a con, but a heads-up: because this is a Christian school with many students who are minors, all members of the community are expected to abide by the "Doc" which has some strict rules about behaviors such as drinking and other potentially harmful practices.

Advice to Management

Be open and transparent with staff and students. Ask for input before making big decisions that affect everyone. Don't assume that all the employees have the same priorities, but provide safe places for feedback and suggestions.

2. Great college job

Former Employee - Usher in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Usher in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A once or twice a month job for some extra cash. Wonderful people. An opportunity to be a welcome face for the university. Ability to see concerts and plays for free if working the whole event, (rather than only seating/taking tickets in the beginning). Apple cider, hot chocolate, and cookies after most events during the winter.

Cons

Only working between one and three times a month, sometimes for only two hours. Paid minimum wage, though that is expected for a student worker.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I never had a problem with the management. They were organized, adaptable, and pleasant to work with.

3. Growth and change

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN full-time

Pros

Great place to find coworkers with shared beliefs. In general it has a friendly atmosphere.

Cons

There are a lot of silos across campus.

5. Resident Assistant

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN (Less than a year)

Pros

You only need to work approximately 10 hours a week and help students on random needs. This is very manageable, as there are multiple RAs that work together.

Cons

You have to be under Northwestern rules, such as no drinking and visitation hours. However, these are not to hard to live with, given the free housing that you are given.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice to give to the management at this time. The job is very simple ans is run very efficiently.

6. Not to be trusted

Pros

I had such a negative experience while working there that I prefer to not answer this question in any detail.

Cons

Boss frequently lied and was not to be trusted. It made everyone else (including me) look bad while covering up their own mistakes. They did not exemplify a Christian demeanor. That person still works there. Management and HR was NOT helpful. Some of the staff was also NOT welcoming to Christians of particular denominations and I was verbally attacked on several occasions.

Advice to Management

Listen to ALL your employees!

7. Good place to work

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

Pros

People are nice and the work is pretty good

Cons

Growth options can be limited

8. Asst. Director of Athletic Communication and Administration

Current Employee - Minnesota in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Minnesota in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Not much opportunity to move up.

9. A great learning experience of technical support systems.

Current Employee - IT Support Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - IT Support Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Managers, faculty and staff are understanding

Cons

Sometimes there is very little work to be done.

10. Nice work environment with potentially great benefits (just not salary)

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good people * Fun environment working with students * Benefit package (retirement, medical, reduced tuition costs for family) is more than competitive

Cons

* As both a nonprofit and a higher-ed university, pay lags behind what you could make in other sectors.

11. Great place to work if you set appropriate work /life boundaries

Current Employee - Associate Director in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Christian college that is somewhat willing to innovate really nice colleagues beautiful campus near a lake

Cons

Overwork because funding constraints too much reliance on student workers

Advice to Management

Better clarification of expectations so staff can prioritize workload. Without this the staff really sees all work as equally mandated.

RSS Feed </> Embed