University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN Reviews

Alan Cureton

1. Great place to work if you set appropriate work /life boundaries

Current Employee - Associate Director in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Christian college that is somewhat willing to innovate
    really nice colleagues
    beautiful campus near a lake

Cons

Overwork because funding constraints
    too much reliance on student workers

Better clarification of expectations so staff can prioritize workload. Without this the staff really sees all work as equally mandated.

Embarrassingly poor administration.

Former Employee - Faculty in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus.
    Well-meaning students.
    Great geographic location for access to downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul.
    Small class sizes.
    Many really dedicated, student-focused faculty and staff.

Cons

Exceedingly narrow definitions of acceptable "Christian Lifestyle"
    Poor financial management of has crippled the academic programs which have meaningful connections for students' futures.
    Recent rounds of layoffs have devastated academic staff/faculty morale.
    New buildings on campus seem to pop up without realistic fiscal planning.
    Significant nepotistic hiring bias.
    Staff/faculty cultures maintains condescending evangelical anti-intellectual tone paired with conservative politics and dated culture warrior mentalities.

Support the faculty and students.

3. Great place to work, but too many siloes

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Great Christian environment, great PTO/vacation, everybody's friendly

Cons

Being a Christian institution, there are many people that should have/would have been let go long ago at more business minded institutions.

Cut people who are not on board/holding the institution back. Admissions office needs to embrace web leads if they want to stay relevant.

5. Warm, nurturing place to grow your skillsets

Former Employee - Student Technician in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Student Technician in Roseville, MN

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, particularly amongst the event staff team. I could tell people really enjoyed working together thanks to a healthy environment that encouraged productivity and growth. My training was thorough and comprehensive, and I felt cared for by my co-workers and bosses.

Cons

Budget cuts at the university limit staff promotions and pay growth. Time-off policies for event staff conflicted on occasion with family life. Compensation doesn't always match up for overall workload when compared to other production companies.

6. UNWSP

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN (more than a year)

Pros

Mission, quality of students, quality of faculty

Cons

Ineffective leadership, inefficient usage of resources, small expectations

Great Campus Technologies Team!

Former Employee - Help Desk Student Worker
    Former Employee - Help Desk Student Worker

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good Campus Technologies (aka IT) team; they understood the customers and were the most professional department on campus. High ethical standards, not too much politics. I was given increased responsibilities throughout my three years, eventually becoming the senior student worker.

Cons

A couple other Help Desk people and I were discussing that we could be making quite a bit more elsewhere in a lower-stress job. Of course, we were students at the time, but all of the jobs I knew of in CT had less-than-market salaries.

8. Adjunct faculty - FOCUS program

Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Roseville, MN
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Roseville, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great mentors, helpfully-written instructor guides, low teacher/student ratios (12 students max), responsive student services departments, strong focus on student success. Academic advisors are in touch with students and easy to work with.

Cons

I've had a small handful of students over the years who probably should not have been admitted to the program because they were not prepared for college. Also, some of the prerequisite courses were offered simultaneously with higher level courses (and students were allowed to take both at the same time). To their credit, the department corrected this very quickly and it has improved student success.

Create some more jobs! I'd love to work there full-time.

9. Great place to work but could improve

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Great people to work with but can be slightly frustrating at time due to lack of communication between people on the project.

Cons

You have to know people in order to get jobs. Usually they hire from within but they are running pretty thin.

Think outside the box more. When you have to make cuts, make sure certain positions/people do not have so much on their plate they can't do their job properly.

10. Most of the time a nice place to work, occasionally some very poor decisions by upper management and human resources

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Values, Ethical, we care about each other, good 403b and health insurance, don't need to worry about bad language or womanizers/improprieties, belief in Christ strong

Cons

The best employees are sometimes overloaded and then burnt out, or in the past people treated very poorly during job cuts/restructuring

You have values - make sure you LIVE by those values with every decision you make. Christian businesses shouldn't be about how we "look", i.e. our image, but about how closely we follow the commandments of Christ

11. Freedom to turn ideas into actions.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Experienital Education in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Integrate faith in the workplace.
    Work closely with great students, faculty & staff.

Cons

Too much to do. Higher ed is sometimes slow to move.