University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Updated October 20, 2014
3.9

Alan Cureton
1 Rating

Great Campus Technologies Team!

Former Employee - Help Desk Student Worker
    Former Employee - Help Desk Student Worker

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good Campus Technologies (aka IT) team; they understood the customers and were the most professional department on campus. High ethical standards, not too much politics. I was given increased responsibilities throughout my three years, eventually becoming the senior student worker.

Cons

A couple other Help Desk people and I were discussing that we could be making quite a bit more elsewhere in a lower-stress job. Of course, we were students at the time, but all of the jobs I knew of in CT had less-than-market salaries.

UNWSP

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN (more than an year)

Pros

Mission, quality of students, quality of faculty

Cons

Ineffective leadership, inefficient usage of resources, small expectations

Adjunct faculty - FOCUS program

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Roseville, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great mentors, helpfully-written instructor guides, low teacher/student ratios (12 students max), responsive student services departments, strong focus on student success. Academic advisors are in touch with students and easy to work with.

Cons

I've had a small handful of students over the years who probably should not have been admitted to the program because they were not prepared for college. Also, some of the prerequisite courses were offered simultaneously with higher level courses (and students were allowed to take both at the same time). To their credit, the department corrected this very quickly and it has improved student success.

Create some more jobs! I'd love to work there full-time.

Great place to work but could improve

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Great people to work with but can be slightly frustrating at time due to lack of communication between people on the project.

Cons

You have to know people in order to get jobs. Usually they hire from within but they are running pretty thin.

Think outside the box more. When you have to make cuts, make sure certain positions/people do not have so much on their plate they can't do their job properly.

Most of the time a nice place to work, occasionally some very poor decisions by upper management and human resources

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Values, Ethical, we care about each other, good 403b and health insurance, don't need to worry about bad language or womanizers/improprieties, belief in Christ strong

Cons

The best employees are sometimes overloaded and then burnt out, or in the past people treated very poorly during job cuts/restructuring

You have values - make sure you LIVE by those values with every decision you make. Christian businesses shouldn't be about how we "look", i.e. our image, but about how closely we follow the commandments of Christ

Freedom to turn ideas into actions.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Experienital Education in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

Integrate faith in the workplace.
    Work closely with great students, faculty & staff.

Cons

Too much to do. Higher ed is sometimes slow to move.

Great Place To Work

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

flexible hours, dedicated staff, energized student body

Cons

salary might be low, but benefits make up for it.
    small company, can be difficult moving up.

An excellnt learning and growth opportunity being a part of a large team of employees in the Northwestern network

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

The management is wonderful and everyone works hard at their job and tasks. It's one of those jobs where your co-workers are some of your closest friends, the community is great. There is a great amount of talent among the employees of the college and therefore it is a privilege to get connected with such a great group of people.

Cons

It is is hard for an outsider to get in. Many people want to work there and there just simply aren't enough positions available to expand. The budget is not doing very well right now and therefore many of the employees are not getting pay increases or anything.

Great people, great work.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

The people who work for Northwestern Media love what they do because they all sense the impact they are making on people's lives. Northwestern Media staff really promote that.

Cons

The only con would be it's need for more air-staff, rather than some air-staff doubling with other duties and jobs.

Great management.

Worked in research lab

Former Employee - Lab Assistant
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at University of Northwestern - St. Paul, MN

Pros

I enjoyed being able to work at my own pace. My boss was very flexible in giving me time off to study for classes.

Cons

I had three separate bosses which made it confusing knowing who to go talk to. The labs got very warm.

Hire more lab assistants because it is too difficult for one or two people to maintain the entire Biology wing.