University of Nottingham
www.nottingham.ac.uk Nottingham, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

University of Nottingham Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
University of Nottingham – Ningbo – “Working conditions of University of Nottingham…”

Professor David Greenaway

It was awesome!

ProsEverything was so super cool. I loved it

ConsIt was sometimes boring okay

Nice experience to work with prominent researcher in my field

PhD Student (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

Prosworking with the leading researchers, the quality of teaching, nice friendly atmosphere, global recognition of the university, availability of stuff members to help.

ConsNot particular challenges I have faced so far. The only thing I want to mention is that you need to work hard to catch up with the high level of standards if you come from other universities (particularly from abroad). But it is completly normal for the university with a reputation, and I would not imagine the other way around to comprimise the quality of teaching to attract more students from abroad.

A fantastic place to work with highly talented colleagues set in a beautiful campus

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsOpportunities seem endless in this place with so many chances to; undertake professional development through the number of courses available to staff, take part in volunteering activities whilst being able to attend lectures on a vast array of topics. There's always the chance to get involved in something if you are willing to contribute.

ConsIt's a very large organisation and so can sometimes feel like you are lost in the middle of it all, perhaps not knowing where to turn if you are looking to undertake a task. It can be a little disorientating at first with so many different schools, departments and teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlexible working opportunities need some form of standardisation across the university, in some instances it seems as though the opportunity to work from home on occasion is reserved for a select few despite technology being readily available to allow this.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a great organisation and you can work with capable and dedicated people, but there are many frustrations.

Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsMost of the people I work with are genuinely committed to Higher Education, the University, and working well with their team and are proud to work here.

ConsPay is generally very good but reward for stronger performers is not great which is demotivating, nor is general support for staff good, and processes and systems are more a hinderance than a help, and it can take a lot of perseverance to get through them - though things are improving. Senior management aims to listens, but seem as constrained as anyone else in actually changing things for the better, and get it wrong as often as they get it right, and seem to be fairly inexperienced for the level of responsibility they are given.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge that just because you hold a more senior position does not mean you have a better solution to whatever the problem or challenge is.

Worked as a temp, a great experience overall

ProsFriendly staff, thorough induction on starting work, manager helpful with regular reviews, great setting and facilities to make use of, good location

ConsAs a temp working for a few months there were no cons for me, I was given time off when I needed it and my manager was great

Nice experience

IT Office Intern (Former Employee)
    Ningbo (China)

ProsGet to meet different people

Conssome times not convenient hours

A supportive and diverse environment

Research Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at the QMC, right in the hub of nationally and internationally leading departments in medicine is incredible. The university ethos for research is one which promotes original thinking, with many opportunities to build collaborations across other disciplines in a friendly and productive environment. Supervisors routinely encourage new ideas and research proposals, which increases the chance of improving your portfolio and career progressions at an early stage. Training programs/courses are readily available for career development and project specific activities, commonly run by leading experiments in the field providing quality and consistent tuition. I feel well supported in working as part of a globally recognised medical research team, as well as for my individual research interests.

The Nottingham campus is incredibly green and provides a pleasant respite from the hustle of Queen's. The leisure facilities are fantastic and will rival any of the leading establishments found in the city centre. which itself is only a short distance from the campus.

ConsDelays in communications between administrative departments may hinder project start up. Consistent chasing up of research paperwork progress is essential if you want to get underway asap. Motivation, passion and social confidence is required to access and make use of the huge network of brilliant minds at the university. The opportunities for exciting new world changing projects are there for those who have the drive to want them.

Excellent opportunity for personal and career development.

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsGood links with industry, such as Rolls-Royce and Airbus. Beautiful campus and lots of internationals, so a very diverse culture around the area.

ConsCan't think of anything at the top of my head.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good to work here

Telephone Fundraiser (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsVery respectful supervisors, very good atmosphere.

ConsMeeting up to expectations and pressure

Rewarding and Challenging!

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)
    Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working hours, great facilities and overall fantastic colleagues.

ConsBureaucratic process can stand in the way of some work and the safety training sometimes is a joke. Especially for a trained scientist, it can be a bit below the bar.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a cap on the number of PhD students a supervisor can have and limit them to ONLY projects they are not out of their depth with. Less they leave the student on their own when it comes to their work.

Worked for University of Nottingham? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Nottingham reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Nottingham CEO Professor David Greenaway . All 39 reviews posted anonymously by University of Nottingham employees.