University of Nottingham Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Professor David Greenaway

Pros
  • Excellent Campus, good facilities, lots of extra-curicular activities (in 3 reviews)

• This company has a good reputation and is a great place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • as it's about cutting-edge research, you need to work hard to make progress (in 2 reviews)

• hard to promote it and more working hours than you thought (in 2 reviews)

1. Very nice work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham

Pros

Good management and always surrounded by intelligent and helpful colleagues Relaxed but efficient working environment A place where you can really be yourself and speak your mind

Cons

Lack of challenge (if you want an easy life, then this will not be a problem) Very local job and few opportunities to travel internationally (if that's what you like)

Advice to Management

Staff training is sufficient but after work gathering is inadequate. Postgraduate students are much less actively involved in student union and university affairs and that is a problem that may need further attention.

2. PhD student

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top school in the field

Cons

hard work environment, exhausting full time work

3. great work place, very competitive university

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

safety great infrastructure competitive great work environment and opportunities good management growing research global university

Cons

slow progression slow job solving from different departments

5. A great place to work

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have excellent work-life balance

Cons

It may be very quiet at times

Advice to Management

do not be too business minded, whatever that means :)

6. Great uni to work for

Current Employee - Telephone Fundraiser in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The whole team are very friendly and a difficult job is made fun

Cons

Telephone fundraising is hard as some people do not want to talk

Rewarding and Challenging!

Current Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, great facilities and overall fantastic colleagues.

Cons

Bureaucratic process can stand in the way of some work and the safety training sometimes is a joke. Especially for a trained scientist, it can be a bit below the bar.

Advice to Management

Consider a cap on the number of PhD students a supervisor can have and limit them to ONLY projects they are not out of their depth with. Less they leave the student on their own when it comes to their work.

8. Good to work here

Current Employee - Telephone Fundraiser in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very respectful supervisors, very good atmosphere.

Cons

Meeting up to expectations and pressure

9. Valued member of staff

Current Employee - Secretary in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Secretary in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my five years working here, have never felt so valued in my life before. The work is interesting and rewarding. Everyone is passionate about the research work they do and are always willing to help other colleagues across the University. Have built up good networking relationships with peers and although in my latter stages of working life, wish I'd worked here years ago as would've been encouraged to raise my game in terms of educational achievements sooner in my working life. Certainly a more positive environment than in the commercial sector where I've worked previously.

Cons

The challenges in my particular case, have been keeping myself busy all the time, as although am in a busy environment my role leaves me with "spare" time, which I find challenging but rewarding because it enables me to be more proactive in discovering more about the roles of others and allows me the time to get involved in assisting with different aspects of what research is all about.

Advice to Management

Consider benefits of more work-life balance options for employees who aren't normally able to "work from home" on a regular basis. A happy workforce is a productive workforce.

10. A fantastic place to work with highly talented colleagues set in a beautiful campus

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities seem endless in this place with so many chances to; undertake professional development through the number of courses available to staff, take part in volunteering activities whilst being able to attend lectures on a vast array of topics. There's always the chance to get involved in something if you are willing to contribute.

Cons

It's a very large organisation and so can sometimes feel like you are lost in the middle of it all, perhaps not knowing where to turn if you are looking to undertake a task. It can be a little disorientating at first with so many different schools, departments and teams.

Advice to Management

Flexible working opportunities need some form of standardisation across the university, in some instances it seems as though the opportunity to work from home on occasion is reserved for a select few despite technology being readily available to allow this.

11. Nice experience to work with prominent researcher in my field

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with the leading researchers, the quality of teaching, nice friendly atmosphere, global recognition of the university, availability of stuff members to help.

Cons

Not particular challenges I have faced so far. The only thing I want to mention is that you need to work hard to catch up with the high level of standards if you come from other universities (particularly from abroad). But it is completly normal for the university with a reputation, and I would not imagine the other way around to comprimise the quality of teaching to attract more students from abroad.

RSS Feed </> Embed