University of Nottingham

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
4.1

Professor David Greenaway

Pros
  • University Park campus is beautiful and has good facilities (in 3 reviews)

• This company has a good reputation and is a great place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • as it's about cutting-edge research, you need to work hard to make progress (in 2 reviews)

• some very poor teachers, different rules for different schools (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Uncaring employer

Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Made some nice friends and the leave allowance was good.

Cons

Extremely busy evironment and the procedures used are old fasioned. The IT systems haven't improved to keep up with the times ie module registration is still done the old fashioned way, as systems cannot cope with on line registration. HR look after the management not the admin staff. Was bullied by my Manager, who also lied, and I was not supported. Manager left for another job but was then re-employed and proceded to bully another member of admin staff who was also not supported.

It's difficult to gain an upgrade. Employees on the same Level job do vastly different amounts of work, and hard work is no recognised.

To look after the admin staff fairly,

Lack of managerial oversight, no team cohesion and seriously discriminatory with regards to disability.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very laid back in regards to timekeeping and lunch breaks. Research projects are interesting and most students are a delight to work with. University Park campus is beautiful and has good facilities.

Cons

Lack of management, meaning that objectives are not clearly set out and time can be wasted. Training that was promised is never delivered. Disability discrimination is bad, with disabled colleagues being undervalued and excluded from both work and social activities. There is a large 'us and them' divide between academic and technical staff, the fact that most technicians have academic degrees is not appreciated.

Work harder to include disabled staff, leaving them with nothing to do is not making reasonable adjustments. Value your technical staff more and aim to instil this value in your researchers and PhD students. Don't justify practises with 'it's always been done this way', change can be good. Don't offer training unless you plan on delivering it.

Malaysia Campus: Do NOT work here (especially if you are an expat)

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Semenyih (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Semenyih (Malaysia)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None, other than the fact that you can put "University of Nottingham" on your CV while looking for a better job elsewhere. I like my immediate department, but I have heard the horror stories of how other departments are managed.

Cons

The administration is a nightmare to deal with – especially HR, which holds a lot of mismanaged power over employees. Faculty haven't been paid on time, benefits are delayed, reimbursement and compensation for professional expenses are a constant battle with faculty administration and HR. When I arrived, the administration didn't even know I was coming (even though I signed the contract many months ago). It took weeks to get an email address, access to moodle, keys to my office, a computer for my office, etc. And, again, every little thing that should be a given for a new employee is a self-advocating battle you have fight with admin.

The morale of the faculty here I could only best describe as "toxic." All of my colleagues seem to have complaint after complaint and most are constantly on the hunt for a new job, which is definitely telling.

The placement of the university's campus is incredibly inconvenient, and don't believe the university website when it tells you that it has "easy access" to KL. It doesn't. Not at all. On average, it takes about 2 hours to get to KLCC via public transportation. It's a campus in the middle of nowhere.

There have been numerous safety concerns on and off campus, and many students have reported sexual harassment, assault, and theft. The security on campus is pretty inept, and don't expect the local police to do anything to help.

The salary is quite low for expats with good qualifications, and only allows for a lower middle class existence at best in KL.

There is virtually no time and resources to do research, even though publications are the expectation.

Listen seriously to the concerns of students, staff, and faculty. There is a great deal of mistrust leveled at management because employees and students do not see any improvements being made.

Something has to be down about the Boustead partnership. They are trying to run a British university like a Malaysian company and there are all sorts of procedural and culture clashes that prevent effectiveness and efficiency.

There needs to be a procedure in place for new employees – especially faculty coming from overseas. Maybe a checklist of things that need to get taken care of? This was the worst beginning to any job I have ever had, and I literally started looking for new jobs the second day I was at UNMC. The management needs to be proactive in making faculty feel welcome and can trust that the university is on their side. Right now, it is exactly the opposite of that.

Hell

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time

Pros

Sorry, can't think of any... Ehh... maybe that I have learnt something about strong, old-fashioned hierarchy and how a University that wants to appear to be international tends to assume that everybody acts, thinks and breaths British style...

Cons

Treats the staff as anything but people. Wants to appear to care about global warming, poverty and diversity, but does in the reality not care about its own staff...

Resign

OK if you've got no other options.

I worked at University of Nottingham

Pros

Nottingham is a cheap place to live, expanding University, nice buildings.

Cons

No culture, systems (appraisal, review, flexible working hours etc.) are non-standardised and generally not very helpful, people more interested in promoting themselves then developing research with an impact.

I would imagine in a University, staff are one of the biggest assets as they drive student numbers and satisfaction; might be an idea to treat them as such.

Not what was sold to me

Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student
    Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Social live within the city is great and the societies are great.

Cons

The halls are hugely overpriced, quality of campus food is low and very overpriced, especially on the Sutton Bonington campus. Meal cards used for Main campus students cannot be used at Sutton Bonington, Access to building is restricted to say the least and even my own schools doors are in accessible after 6pm.
    Poorly run courses with the few exceptions of 1 or 2 talented lecturers. Was promised a course that would broaden my employability options, this is true mainly due to the fact nobody within my degree knows what jobs they could get as we haven't learnt anything to a level appropriate to the work place of many students ideal career paths. As well as a student I have also been an employee. They treat casual staff as though mean nothing to them and take no advise that we on the front line know would work. As for full time staff they too revive no voice in the decisions made by management and they wonder why things fall apart and there are mass communications problems over every sector of the university. Pay for full time staff is disproportionately low compared to that of CEO's and deputy principles, no wonder staff strike when top staff earn in excess of 200k a year.
    Furthermore the hopper bus situation is dismal, buses to Sutton bonington are late and often do not turn up and so many students, researchers and professors have complained about this but to no avail.

Listen to those on the front line
    Don't lie about what your University offers
    Better communication is essential
    Sort out the busses

PhD fellowship/ teaching + research assistant

Former Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PhD Researcher in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the best thing about the university is that it has got prominent scholars in the field, they also have excellent postgraduate support in terms of language and have great courses on

Cons

you are treated neither a staff nor a student and you are not treated as an early researcher either, with the lack of support. i have not received any training in terms of where and how to publish my articles. one will not be assigned teaching duties, unless they apply for it which is competitive, and you will only be paid minimum wage, so you have the dilemma, whether to focus on research or gain some teaching experience (but that will consume you a lot of time and energy), you will have the chance of being hired as invigilators for exams, and you will be paid minimum wage too.

value PhD research fellows as research staff and early career researchers, more collaboration between current research and teaching staff and PhD candidates.

A pleasant but not up to the ranking standard

I worked at University of Nottingham

Pros

A place where diversity is truly present among the customers and even employees. The professionalism of the senior employees is to be appraised.

Cons

The salary is not as competitive as other universities and the quality of the students is on the decline these past years.

Telephone fundraising

Former Employee - Telephone Fundraiser in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telephone Fundraiser in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training was paid and thorough enough for the job. The pay itself was excellent for the work we were doing. I learnt a lot of skills there.

Cons

The job itself was not my kind of thing so I didn't enjoy myself - but that may have just been my own personal taste. I know others did enjoy it.

Engineering Research Placement

Former Employee - Engineering Research Placement in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineering Research Placement in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good experience in researching, project management

Cons

Incompetent supervisor, too much ambiguity with requirements

University of Nottingham Photos

Working conditions of University of Nottingham Ningbo staff.

+ Add Photo