University of Oklahoma HSC Reviews

David L. Boren

1. Fun place with some big place issues

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1) The work hours usual laid back with occasional late nights due to Health care
    2) Fun people
    3) You can do another job or grow your hobby

Cons

1) The pay is low though I received high for the region which sparked bad issues with co workers
    2) Promotion and Pay raise virtually none
    3) Gossips and tattle tales exist

Value the employees, provide training and good compensation. If not people leave and be hard to find talent.

2. Great company with an engaged management team including senior leader and CEO.

Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Clinic Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, best I have seen at any company. The management team within OU Physicians was phenomenal. Goals were patient satisfaction, employee engagement, and providing high quality patient care.

Cons

Working with the department of pediatrics and HCA proved to be rather difficult at times. Dealt with a lot of politics between managers in these two entities. Ultimately it became unbearable, and extremely unpleasant. This was just one specific department, however, I've heard of this occurring in other departments as well.

Decrease paperwork workload on clinic managers, it is just too much compared to other hospitals and facilities. Increased support in dealing with the department of pediatrics and HCA managers would be appreciated as well.

3. OUHSC review

Current Employee - Lab Manager/Research Scientist In A Pediatric Cancer Lab in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC

Pros

Everybody is friendly and generally happy. i am surounded by a very educated staff and faculty who can give educated opinions which is very helpful to me as a pediatric cancer scientist.

Cons

The cons of working at OUHSC is that I had to move to Oklahoma where the weather is terrible and the state's landscape is not scenic. In myfirst year there were two of the biggest tornadoes ever recorded. There is also a very large number of earthquakes here. I'm originally from California where I had felt a few earthquakes, but I have felt 10 times the number of earthquakes each year than my entire upbringing in Cal.

5. Pretty Good

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC

Pros

Interesting co-workers, generally stable job

Cons

State school politics, institutional rules

Do more shared governance

6. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, especially the amount of PTO. Nice to work at an institution that makes a difference ( teaching students in healthcare and treating patients).

Cons

Dealing with the uncertainty of the State's finances and budget.

7. Good Benefits/ Low Pay

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative II in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

18 hours of PTO a month, electronic health records, big campus, good health benefits/options, great training & development team. Good company culture. Clinics are 8-5 M-F. Good entry level job.

Cons

No consistency between clinics. They all have different budgets and different responsibilities for the same job role. There is hardly any room for advancement and pay is low. Raises are a joke. Have to pay for parking that is uncovered.

Yes benefits are good but people will only work so long making peanuts before the move on. Clinic managers stop micromanaging employees, you're running the off.

8. The university is a relatively good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your work experience depends on who you work for. You could have a great, understanding, and appreciative Investigator for a boss, or you could have a slave driver. He/She mostly determines your experience.

Cons

9. Professional for research, great life-work balance.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great scientists in glycobiology area. Great amount of research fundings. ORMF is considered as a very strong research center in south west.

Cons

Oklahoma city is too quiet place if you are a person likes dynamic life.

10. Good place to work

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC

Pros

Friendly people, good atmosphere and helpful professors

Cons

Not such a reputed university for research

11. Low living expense and still some excellent research

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma HSC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low living expense for a graduate student

Cons

Not so many great labs around. Lack comprehensive collaboration opportunities...