University of Oklahoma

University of Oklahoma President David L. Boren

David L. Boren

88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Assistant Professor

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGood mood & opportunity, retirement plan, decent PTO, productive social outreach

Conscould be better in medical/dental plans

Great benefits!

Food Service Worker II (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsBenefits are extremely generous with teacher's retirement still an option. Basic medical insurance for the employee is 100% covered.

ConsLow, unfairly distributed wages, even for Oklahoma, and very difficult to climb the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the pay system to allow for merit raises AND seniority raises.

Great, thoroughly enjoyed my time working as a grad student for the School of Meteorology.

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Norman, OK

ProsTechnology was top notch, professors were very knowledgeable with open office doors, provided plenty of computing power to get the job done.

ConsThe overall feeling I had was that of a hands-off growth approach to grad students with little unsolicited advice or guidance given. For some, this may prove challenging.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, positive.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Norman, OK

ProsVery accommodating for personal life and extended vacation time.

ConsLow wages for the working hours expected.

Resident Adviser is a difficult position for a student

Resident Adviser (Former Employee)
    Norman, OK

ProsThere is a strong and positive community among Resident Advisers. Students will find that it is possible to work on homework during work hours occasionally. One can gain a lot of interpersonal experience from this job: interacting with supervisors, coworkers, and students.

ConsSupervisors are hit-or-miss. While the job is touted as "part-time" and supervisors emphasize that every employee is "a student first," work interferes with school quite regularly. Posted hours, staff meetings, and scheduled work time doesn't do this so much; it's the irregular work (Tour days, following up with a student, hosting events, mandatory staff events) that come in conflict with academics. This would have been mitigated with some good communication, but unfortunately, communication was frequently lacking. Because of the nature of the job, you are "on call" 24-7 unless you are on a pre-approved work leave for the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate expectations clearly and early. For mandatory events, communicate the details early enough for students to plan their schedules around it. Also, be flexible and understanding when a student doesn't complete an unexpected assignment (Such as following up with a student) quickly; exams, papers, and other circumstances sometimes don't allow the project to be completed as quickly as expected.

It is what you make of it!

Norman, OK

ProsOU has good benefits and is mostly quite family friendly. How comfortable the work environment is certainly varies by office and the personalities within ... but there is no doubt the university is a true bureaucracy at its core. I have worked in offices in Outreach and later on main campus in Norman. OU is so broad in its scope there is a lot of opportunity if you are motivated to pursue it. Quite decent pay scales, too.

ConsManagers without management skills. I have been lucky to only have had bad experiences with two out of the six managers I have worked for over the past 15 years. But in both instances, HR just said "OU does have a problem with bad managers." Thankfully, there aren't many, but the ones that are there are allowed to continue without training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo consistent bottom up evaluations to gauge the temperature of office or organization

An average job all-around

IT Support (Former Employee)
    Norman, OK

ProsEasy to do homework if you are a student. Very accommodating for your school schedule. Scheduling system is excellent and can be synchronized with calendar easily.

ConsWages are unlivable without having external income. Mobility is not based on success metrics, but on how well of friends you can become with managers. Many employees are not doing any work and are rarely punished for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should be awarded by quality of work, not age of employee.

graduate teaching assistant

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
    Norman, OK

Prosgood environment, nice people, all in all, great place to work for.

Conscan not come up with any cons

Advice to Senior Managementno, just work for the school

Good experience serving as a graduate teaching assistant.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Norman, OK

ProsGenerally nice people and good place to study in a graduate setting.

ConsSmall town, not so international though OU has tons of foreign students.

My experience during my Master studies was in one word: Excellent

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Norman, OK

Pros-I loved Norman to be a small-college town.
    -Experienced a lot of cultural interaction from everywhere in the world. People are friendly and very open to all international students.
    -Professors are very helpful and open to any student.

Cons-Tornadoes is a bit of a problem during spring, intense weather but I don't have any complains about the University.

Worked for University of Oklahoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Oklahoma reviews and ratings in Oklahoma — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Oklahoma CEO David L. Boren. All 88 reviews posted anonymously by University of Oklahoma employees.