University of Oklahoma

Updated September 8, 2014
4.2

University of Oklahoma President David L. Boren
David L. Boren

Pros
  • Good benefits and good opportunities to attend all kinds of events (in 11 reviews)

• How comfortable the work environment is certainly varies by office and the personalities within (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Oh yes," they say," the Graduate College doesn't like actually dealing with graduate students directly (in 3 reviews)

• Because of the nature of the job, you are "on call" 24-7 unless you are on a pre-approved work leave for the day (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A work experience to match the education.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Norman, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in an academic environment that provides as much education outside the classroom as inside the classroom; I was allowed to learn from the professors as both teachers in the classroom for schoolwork and as mentors throughout the GA position.

Cons

Although the position requires the upkeep of good grades, there are frequent urgent requests from professors for the job which conflicted with school work.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Norman, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

University Environment
    Plenty of Training possibilities
    Promotes Personal Growth
    Plenty of Opportunities to continue studying at the University of Oklahoma
    Most positions are very sociable

Cons

Maybe no cons. Perhaps the only cons is the fact you have to buy the parking permit as faculty/staff if you want to park on campus.

Meaningful work with great benefits, values, and work/life balance

Former Employee - Marketing and PR Specialist  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Marketing and PR Specialist in Norman, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want a career in higher education, this is your place. Some of the pros include: commitment to employee development and learning, annual satisfaction/performance reviews, work/life balance, desirable benefits package, employee loyalty, and fair compensation. Access to lectures, arts and sporting events (for a price, of course) was also a plus. Also, Norman is a charming, inexpensive town.

Cons

It's what you'd expect working at a public institution. Bureaucracy. Politics. Opportunities for advancement can be limited. Leadership and senior management is a bit of an ol' boys club.

It'd be great to see more diversity in leadership and management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruitment Services- Student Tour Guide

Former Employee - Student Tour Guide  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Student Tour Guide in Norman, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back optimistic atmosphere, the work was never strenuous, when you aren't on schedule to give a tour, you organize folders, roll up OU t-shirts, deliver documents to different departments, occasionally watch the receptionist desk. You are trained extensively. Get to make your schedule for the entire semester and if you can not make a shift you simply find someone who can cover for you. You will become very comfortable speaking in front of large groups and this gives you a chance to work on your speaking skills

Cons

The pay is great but the job isn't difficult. Tours go through all kinds of weather but more often than not they will make for a great story.

Keep up the good work. A raise would be lovely

Great Employment opportunity for student workers

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Norman, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedules for full time students and allows for networking to those students interested. Once you are an employee for several years it easier to transition to a full time employee for the students who might want to work for the university after graduating.

Cons

Mininium wage, no room for advancement

I worked in the library Cataloging department where moral was low. I have heard from other student employees that other departments had a more positive role model.

Rich university culture, with good management

Current Employee - Certified Flight Instructor  in  Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Certified Flight Instructor in Norman, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The faculty and staff are very supportive

Cons

No benifits for full time flight instructors

Working at OU IT

Former Employee - IT Student Employee In Call Center  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - IT Student Employee In Call Center in Norman, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours at the time, I don't know what it is like now because I do not believe the IT call center is 24 hours anymore. Great equipment and workplace at the time.

Cons

No cons that I remember. All the superiors I interacted with were cool.

Assistant Professor

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good mood & opportunity, retirement plan, decent PTO, productive social outreach

Cons

could be better in medical/dental plans

Housing and Food Program

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

I worked at University of Oklahoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid for Room and Board. Got to meet many people. Got to meet President Boren. The marching band serenaded us in the morning, which was awesome.

Cons

I was left to pay 500 out of pocket, not really a con, but still a minor inconvenience. Maybe it's just me, but serving my fellow peers was not fun, especially when they were rude and they were in the same class as you...just saying. Also, you didn't get to choose which food place that you were to be employed at the beginning.

Be a bit more personable, stop yelling at people, and learn the names of the people who work under you. I quit this job and my former manager stops me in the middle of the hallway and practically yells at me for missing work, when it had been at least 6 months since I had stepped foot in that place, so yeah, get that together.

Great benefits!

Current Employee - Food Service Worker II  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker II in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at University of Oklahoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are extremely generous with teacher's retirement still an option. Basic medical insurance for the employee is 100% covered.

Cons

Low, unfairly distributed wages, even for Oklahoma, and very difficult to climb the corporate ladder.

Overhaul the pay system to allow for merit raises AND seniority raises.

Worked for University of Oklahoma? Contribute to the Community!