University of Oklahoma

Updated August 13, 2014

4.2

University of Oklahoma President David L. Boren
David L. Boren

Pros
  • Good benefits and good opportunities to attend all kinds of events (in 11 reviews)

• How comfortable the work environment is certainly varies by office and the personalities within (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Oh yes," they say," the Graduate College doesn't like actually dealing with graduate students directly (in 3 reviews)

• Because of the nature of the job, you are "on call" 24-7 unless you are on a pre-approved work leave for the day (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - IT Specialist I
    Former Employee - IT Specialist I

Pros

Great Team
    Good Leadership
    Great opportunity to learn

Cons

I don't have anything to put for cons. It was really a great place

Maybe allow student employees to visit other departments and work for them

Recruitment Services- Student Tour Guide

Former Employee - Student Tour Guide  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Student Tour Guide in Norman, OK

Pros

Very laid back optimistic atmosphere, the work was never strenuous, when you aren't on schedule to give a tour, you organize folders, roll up OU t-shirts, deliver documents to different departments, occasionally watch the receptionist desk. You are trained extensively. Get to make your schedule for the entire semester and if you can not make a shift you simply find someone who can cover for you. You will become very comfortable speaking in front of large groups and this gives you a chance to work on your speaking skills

Cons

The pay is great but the job isn't difficult. Tours go through all kinds of weather but more often than not they will make for a great story.

Keep up the good work. A raise would be lovely

Great Employment opportunity for student workers

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Norman, OK

Pros

Flexible schedules for full time students and allows for networking to those students interested. Once you are an employee for several years it easier to transition to a full time employee for the students who might want to work for the university after graduating.

Cons

Mininium wage, no room for advancement

I worked in the library Cataloging department where moral was low. I have heard from other student employees that other departments had a more positive role model.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rich university culture, with good management

Current Employee - Certified Flight Instructor  in  Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Certified Flight Instructor in Norman, OK

Pros

The faculty and staff are very supportive

Cons

No benifits for full time flight instructors

Working at OU IT

Former Employee - IT Student Employee In Call Center  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - IT Student Employee In Call Center in Norman, OK

Pros

Flexible hours at the time, I don't know what it is like now because I do not believe the IT call center is 24 hours anymore. Great equipment and workplace at the time.

Cons

No cons that I remember. All the superiors I interacted with were cool.

Very good university, learned a lot :)

Pros

Research Assistant position allowed me to see different perspective of the work while working towards bachelor's degree itself.

Cons

Further research needed to come to a concrete conclusion but I had to start full time job.

Satisfied with position.

Flexible hours, great for students.

Former Employee - Student Caller
    Former Employee - Student Caller

Pros

Because many university employees are students (full-time and part-time), most supervisors will gladly work with you on your scheduling. Also, there is quite a bit of room for upward mobility to supervisor positions and even connections with affiliated companies depending on the position/division.

Cons

One of the downsides of a student-dominated workforce is a higher turnover rate and occasional disorganization. This made it difficult at times to develop skills and communicate with upper management.

University management staff has done an excellent job providing students with a way to earn both experience and income. My only recommendation would be to develop a closer relationship with the student employees.

Assistant Professor

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Good mood & opportunity, retirement plan, decent PTO, productive social outreach

Cons

could be better in medical/dental plans

Housing and Food Program

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Pros

Paid for Room and Board. Got to meet many people. Got to meet President Boren. The marching band serenaded us in the morning, which was awesome.

Cons

I was left to pay 500 out of pocket, not really a con, but still a minor inconvenience. Maybe it's just me, but serving my fellow peers was not fun, especially when they were rude and they were in the same class as you...just saying. Also, you didn't get to choose which food place that you were to be employed at the beginning.

Be a bit more personable, stop yelling at people, and learn the names of the people who work under you. I quit this job and my former manager stops me in the middle of the hallway and practically yells at me for missing work, when it had been at least 6 months since I had stepped foot in that place, so yeah, get that together.

Great benefits!

Current Employee - Food Service Worker II  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker II in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Benefits are extremely generous with teacher's retirement still an option. Basic medical insurance for the employee is 100% covered.

Cons

Low, unfairly distributed wages, even for Oklahoma, and very difficult to climb the corporate ladder.

Overhaul the pay system to allow for merit raises AND seniority raises.

Worked for University of Oklahoma? Contribute to the Community!