University of Pennsylvania Health System

72 reviews filtered by

1. Good

Current Employee - Staff RN in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Phila, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like that I am able to work with a group of people as a team. I like that there is a collaborative effort made to help patients get better.

Cons

12 hour shifts, day night rotation,

Listen to your employees and at least act as if you do care when problems arise in your employees lives. Your employees are committed to their work, but they have a life outside of the patient care area.

2. Stable employment - does not reward performance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable employment, great work-life balance, nice people.

Cons

Across the board pay increases - no pay for performance, highly political - hard to advance, organizational superiority complex, low pay, reactive not proactive management

Implement pay for performance, listen to staff, learn how to lead

3. Research Assistant- Foot in the door

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System

Pros

Friendly, well-educated and laid back people to work with. Very flexible job hours!

Cons

I am not making quite as much as I want to be but goes with the nature of my position.

5. Don't standby their workers

Former Employee - ECG/Holtor Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - ECG/Holtor Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HUP provides excellent patient care. The doctor's and staff have excellent bedside manner pertaining to inpatient and outpatient health care.

Cons

Had a slip and fall on the job. Dr. and nurses in employee health treated me like a criminal. Ignored all of my health conditions. I was prescribed muscle relaxants and sent back to my office. Staff at employee health and my supervisor , stated that I was faking. Even though outpatient's and co-workers witnessed my fall.

Need to treat their workers with dignity and respect. All workers are not hungry to stay home and collect sixty percent of their salary instead of one hundred percent of their income.

6. Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

liked the people i was working with

Cons

there are alot of politics that go on.

7. Educational

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at University of Pennsylvania Health System as an intern

Pros

I liked the casual and friendly environment. People seemed to enjoy coming to work each day. I felt supported by my supervisors and peers, even though I was very new and only there for a short period of time.

Cons

I think there is a disconnect between the highest levels of administration and the other employees. UPHS has a great mission and does a lot of good for Philly, and has had a huge impact on the face of medicine, but sometimes that mission wasn't fully communicated.

Let your people know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it. UPHS has a great purpose and considers everything carefully, there's nothing to lose!

8. Still new and still satisfied

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good hours, compensated for working overtime.

Cons

Not given regular feedback so at times I don't know how my supervisor feels about my performance.

9. Excellent Opportunities

Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The office environment is very friendly, everyone knows their responsibilities and take time to coach others.

Cons

A lot of turnover and change as doctors or staff find new positions elsewhere after gaining experience.

Revert back to being less strict in the offices that are not in contact with patients.

10. I was simply doing a Practicum (unpaid)

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania Health System

Pros

Organized, progressive, technologically advanced, and open to criticism

Cons

Less teamwork and more about individual contribution and independent work

11. great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Penn has excellent benefits and good pay. Its easy to transfer out of a department and move on to another area. The location is great and accessible to several forms of public transportation

Cons

depending on the dept sometimes there are unfair practices such as some people not pulling their weight, parking isnt great. You have to either come very early and park a few blocks away and walk or park in a lot where you could pay upwards of $20 per day. Also the politics here are really crazy at times

i think you should offer raises based on your performance eval and not give everyone the same thing across that board. I also think great employees who go above and beyond should get some type of reward for their hard work. it doesnt have to be monitary but something just to say hey we notice that you are doing an excellent job and we appreciate you