University of Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania President Amy Gutmann

Amy Gutmann

251 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Significant lack of vision

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at University of Pennsylvania part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat mentor who constantly went to bat for me

ConsLack of vision from department chairman preoccupied with his own ego.
10% loss of grant funds to overhead, and another 10% would have been lost if I worked more then 20 hours week.
Despite exceptional performance, absolutely no guarantee I would have received full time employment

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve hiring policy, easier access for professors to receive grant money

leads scientifically planning of various research projects, supervise the submission of research protocols to the IRB.

Research Fellow (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania part-time for more than 3 years

Prosworkforce diversity, a healthy work environment, and worklife balance programs.

ConsJust because it's one of top places to work doesn't mean it's a good match for you

Excellent benefits

Assistant Professor (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Pennsylvania full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits package, including retirement contributions, were great. I worked in a fantastic unit with a wonderful director as my mentor. Beautiful energetic environment.

ConsThe indirects on your grants don't buy you the "overhead" that they are supposed to. Ridiculously slow track for appointment and promotion. I know it's Penn, but come on!

Advice to Senior ManagementMany faculty would be happier to be there if policies didn't seem to mandate that they should be happy just to be there.

I have really enjoyed working for such a progressive and forward thinking university.

House Coordinator (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania full-time for less than a year

ProsThe tuition reimbursement benefit is an incredible opportunity that all employees should take advantage of.

ConsThe salary is on the lower end for this position nationwide.

Equal-Opportunity Workplace

Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUPenn is a fantastic place to work either as faculty or as a doctoral fellow. Researchers are provided with ample funding, good healthcare benefits, and negotiable workweeks. Due to the university's healthy endowment fund, continued opportunities arise for programming in one's area of interest. The university also significantly has increased its workplace offerings of lactation spaces for nursing mothers. This coupled with the Family Resource Center enable working parents to have a better transition back to work. The security presence on campus is also fantastic.

ConsUPenn's location is its only downside. Philadelphia's crime situation continues to be horrendous and though campus itself is extremely safe, veering a few blocks in either direction without a Penn escort can be dangerous. All workers must seriously consider their daily commutes.

students and faculty are great

Professor (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania full-time for more than 10 years

Prosstudents and faculty are great - wonderful environment for collaboration

ConsAdministration are totally disconnected from faculty. Corporate culture - leadership act like the entire University is here to serve the administrators, not the other way around.

Advice to Senior ManagementFaculty are the backbone of the University, the current path of investing in legacy buildings instead of retaining people will not support sustained success/survival.

work as research assistant at university of pennsylvania, work on two research projects

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania part-time for less than a year

Proseverything is good. Mentor would give advices when necessary and the environment is perfect.

ConsThere is little downside to work as research assistant at university of pennsylvania.

Science Laboratory Research - Department of Neurosurgery

Graduate Researcher (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at University of Pennsylvania full-time for more than a year

ProsIntelligent co-workers, flexible atmosphere and colleagues still driven enough to produce results.

ConsGenerally satisfied with all aspects of working there.

Great People, Low Key

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

ProsUnderstand you're a student, and are very accommodating. Academics always come first. You get paid to do school work.

ConsCan be exhausting balancing 5 classes and a 20 hour a week job

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Good training experience

Postdoctoral Research Fellow/Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Pennsylvania full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of resources available for training, flexible schedule, opportunities for collaborations

ConsBenefits could be better for postdocs, no pre-tax train pass and other expenses available, healthcare is expensive for dependents,...

Worked for University of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Pennsylvania reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Pennsylvania CEO Amy Gutmann. All 251 reviews posted anonymously by University of Pennsylvania employees.