University of Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

University of Pennsylvania President Amy Gutmann

Amy Gutmann

Pros
  • Excellent center for research and emphasis on work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits (100% free tuition at Penn)(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • There isn't alot of room for advancement(in 6 reviews)

• Low salary, since it is non profit, academic research, government grant funding(in 9 reviews)

University of Pennsylvania has given me the opportunity to grow as a young professional in the drug research field.

Research Specialist A (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe benefits are incredible. The resources are endless. The community at University of Pennsylvania is like no other. You work at an institution that strives for excellence.

ConsMany positions in the research labs of University of Pennsylvania are grant-funded so the salaries are generally more limited than at a pharmaceutical company or other private enterprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep teaching the young minds that enter University of Pennsylvania with hunger for knowledge!

Great intellectually stimulating place to work, incredibly disjointed organization

IT Director (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsRelaxed work environment, 35 hour work week, easily accessible location, vibrant city, intellectually stimulation, great educational opportunities, significant college tuition assistance (including for kids).

ConsA very political place. Organizationally, the University is really an amalgamation of 12 schools and many more 'centers' that all have their own budgets, priorities and leaders and none of them seem to agree on any strategical approach. Salaries not line line with commercial alternatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to the academics a bit more.

Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat graduate school program. The graduate students are great to hang out with and very helpful

ConsThe department is too small for all of the students.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your students

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFor anyone beginning their career, this is the place to be. There is an atmosphere that nurtures students, both undergrad and graduate. It also is a place where you learn (maybe for the first time) that there are people that will not like you no matter how "likeable" you are due to things out of your control (i.e. birth place or skin color). You learn to move on, grow tougher skin, and persevere. Life lessons.

ConsIt all depends on the particular lab you are, but from what I've seen staff are not exactly treated nicely. And the poor postdocs - well they are nothing but dirt. I feel sorry for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, this is very lab specific. My experience - allow staff to attend training that is relevant (even if not free) and you might produce more results. Show a little kindness to the staff and don't avoid/lie/outright deny salary requests. Maybe then, the best won't leave as soon as they've racked up enough experience.

Postdoc

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood benefits, support to become an independent investigator

ConsUnfocused training, compensation for position

Great Opportunity

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWith some effort and ambition, you can become a very important member of the SEAS community, and have a lasting tangible impact on the education of those who follow in your footsteps. It can help develop your professional skills to lead, while also giving back to the community.

ConsCan be hard to juggle working hours while also at school.

Postdoctoral research is well-supported

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPenn is a good name brand in academia to forward your career. Average to above average inter-lab collaboration. Active postdoctoral group that promotes networking and funds travel.

ConsPostdoc pay is low for the hours you are expected to put in, but that's the case everywhere. The campus "neighborhood" where medicine labs are located has an industrial feeling and offers few places to escape to when writing or not at the bench.

senior investigator

Senior Research Investigator (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosjob stable, good benefit, tuition benefit

Consvery busy, need to overtime

Advice to Senior Managementeverything is good except no pay for overtime

Fight fight if you want to grow up and get promoted!! Do not give up !

Senior Research Investigator (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat scientific environment, it is easy to set up collaborations. Great speakers quality during various seminars. Great benefits package..

ConsCompared to academia, pay is not good and not fair..You also have to fight very very hard to get promoted and get a better salary although HR is always trying to slow you down and reduce your salary (even if you bring lots of funding) because it has to be fair with other employees ! Let the people competent and motivated grow as much and as quick as they should !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the people competent and motivated grow as much and as quick as possible !

Great place to work

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsSmart people. Great Benefits. Great Location.

ConsLimited advancement. Lower salary because it's a non-profit.

Worked for University of Pennsylvania? Contribute to the Community!