University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello

Dr. William Pepicello

Pros:
  • "Great pay, good benefits, I enjoy the opportunities I have for problem solving,"
    in 43 reviews
  • "100 tuition assistance, great benefits, lots of training available"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "the worst upper management ever in the history of life"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The pay is terrible and have made it clear that there is little to no chance of advancing"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unique Service for Unique Clients

Phoenix, AZ

ProsParent company Apollo group provides numerous opportunities in an array of business fields. University of Phoenix provides training and mentoring for employees seeking advancement and growth in management.

ConsChanges in the industry have forced recent downsizing. The university now requires Bachelors degrees for a number of positions. Still, from a business standpoint this can be seen as a positive as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain college degree program divisions opposed to spatial and temporal divisions. This is vital to the corporate culture within colleges.

Adjunct faculty

ProsFlexible contracts, variety of classes available to teach

ConsCant always get a class

Great experience

Senior Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsLove my co-workers and helping students reach their goals and dreams. I have been here for about eight years so I was to learn a lot in those years. Not too many people can say they kept the same job for this many years. I was able to get my education paid for so that is a benefit.

ConsLack of growth. Money could definitely be a lot better. I see them working on it, but it shouldn't have to take years for you to realize you need to pay your employees more. After a while you want to feel that you are appreciated and can move up with in the company. I don't see that and it is not going to happen anytime soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your employees first. Pay us what we are worth and allow us to have more of an input.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoy my online teaching position enough that I have taught over 30 course sessions in the last five years.

Adjunct Faculty (Online) (Current Employee)

ProsAs an online adjunct faculty member, I have a lot of flexibility about when I want to work as well as how often I want to teach.

ConsIncreases in compensation occur with longevity, but are minuscule.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to reward to your high-performing and loyal faculty; provide higher increases in compensation for those who teach a lot of classes for you.

A dynamic and forward-looking company focused on the latest technology to service its students

Training Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsOutstanding management
    Great benefits
    Seeks to improve the lives of its employees

ConsDifficult to get time off at times

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicated and forward-looking

This is the worst place I've ever worked in my life!

Phoenix, AZ

ProsI made life long friends at this hell hole but that is about it.

ConsThe pay is a joke, they did away with "The Matrix" and now there is no way to advance. They had career progression but that was a farce. You will be micro managed to death and expected to enroll students into this laughing stock of a school. Leadership is full of liars and con men. Oh, and there's the "students". You are working with the bottom of the barrel here. Not only do you have to enroll them which is a painful process but you also need to retain them for 9 weeks or so. Most of these people are out to get their pell check and then just vanish.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut this place down.

Shameful

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsAssist students in getting an education that will fulfill their career dreams and goals.

ConsUnqualified staff; poor leadership; poor communication; staff with no degree or experience in higher education allowed to remain on staff and to dictate the career futures of other staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing ignorance and pride to cause you to lose good, qualified, dedicated people on your staff.

Run...don't walk

Phoenix, AZ

ProsTrying hard to think of any pros...except that we all felt like we were in it together...Perhaps the fact that I was able to earn a lot of money - it did compensate because I was a long time employee. I worked my butt off to earn it though.

ConsConstantly changing - on a dime. Never completing one initiative before going on to the next - employees don't take anything seriously anymore. Everyone just laughs at every initiative and calls it the "flavor of the month" The goals were almost totally unattainable - the stress was overwhelming. People are so stressed and afraid to even take vacation. People work when they are sick. Tragic atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry talking to the people that actually work for you instead of living in a glass bubble.

Opportunity was once available, not anymore.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone benefits from education and University of Phoenix were innovators and pioneers of non-traditional higher education.

ConsExecutives make poor
    Decisions and change policy frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your enrollment advisors more so you attract a professional who is vested in their career and the health of the University.

Was once an innovator, now struggling to maintain relevance.

Academic Counselor (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsInitially the benefits were amazing and yearly salary increases made it a job of choice and some leaders/managers had integrity and honest intentions. When news of secret recruitment tactics began to emerge and the value of the degree questioned, the UoP ship lost its rudder. Benefits have been cut drastically recently from what I've heard.

ConsInconsistency in enforcement of company policies, too many associate directors and other middle management who openly played favorites and despite abandoning the "matrix," enrollmemt numbers and other numbers were simply tied to competencies or whatever flavor of the quarter management came up with to keep everyone drinking the kool-aid. Worse is the constant looming threat of layoffs or a write-up which is a one way ticket to termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back managers and sr leadership who are focused on quality education and who can return UoP to a pioneer and innovator in online education and (re)build the reputation and value of an online degree. If not, UoP will continue its slow descent into obscurity....if it doesn't lose its accreditation first.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Phoenix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Phoenix CEO Dr. William Pepicello. All 605 reviews posted anonymously by University of Phoenix employees.