University of Phoenix

Updated December 9, 2014
2.9

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello
Dr. William Pepicello

Pros
  • Good benefits/ sick days vacation days/ team builders (in 41 reviews)

• experience in corporate environment; free education; great benefits; opportunity for growth (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • the worst upper management ever in the history of life (in 22 reviews)

• No real measure of performance (at least in the call center) (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

232 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping "high risk" college students graduate and reach their goals
    Working with great people. My coworkers probably kept me there a few years longer than I would have stayed without them.
    Developing skills to manage all different walks of life.

Cons

A bit too much micromanagement.
    Little opportunity for recognition/advancement

I do not envy you, as you are in a very difficult position. It cannot be easy to keep employees happy and motivated while abiding by federal guidelines regarding for-profit institutions. I do not have a solution regarding compensation, but I believe that it must be performance-based somehow. It can be discouraging for a tenured counselor to know that he/she makes the same amount as another counselor of the same tenure, but who performs at a much lower level.

Great company to work with, lots of room for growth.

Current Employee - Contact Center Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Contact Center Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They invest in the professional development of their employees. Free tuition for employees is a crazy amazing benefit.

Cons

The phone jobs can be boring or frustrating at times, but it is mind over matter.

I would advise management to consider giving their subordinates more freedom and trust. I have a fantastic manager, but not all of the employees are as lucky.

I worked at UOP for 4 1/2 years and it was OK.

Former Employee - Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Tuition and gained great work experience. Had a GREAT manager right before leaving all others either did not know what they were doing, did nothing, or created unnecessary busy work.

Cons

Crummy senior management. They're always introducing new offers in attempt to retain students however it almost seems like they just trying anything and everything to find something that works. Can be a bit frustrating. Also NO opportunity for growth.

Used to be forward thinking - market caught up, and is now just reactionary

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nationwide network opens more opportunities (although there is stigma attached to those trying to move from online services to campus services and vice-versa). Provides valuable service (albeit overpriced). Many great people to work with. The people make it a great place, the organization seems to do all it can to stifle that though.

Cons

Untrained management from the bottom up to the top. Managers, Directors, VPs, and Execs all advanced based on performance, not on management skills. Company consistently takes top producers off the floor and moves them into management even when that is not the best use of that persons skills. Consistently underpays - touts "total package/value is greater" - just pay your people for the work they do.

Develop a high-quality management training program, and don't base admittance into that program solely on performance. Consider that management skills are not always the same as sales/recruiting skills.

Many changes, little improvement for employees

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The potential vacation time is decent once you've been employed there for a while. Good pay and benefits if it's your first professional environment.

Cons

Reduced compensation/review impact over time of changes in advisor positions. The Enrollment advisor position was most affected by the organizational changes, reduced raises.. which has been a tele-sales position (in addition to the counseling, admin, etc roles). This turns the position into most strictly a call center, with sales responsibilities, and without the compensation. The management is micromanagement to make positions automated.

Value your employees, especially top performers.

Does not always deal fairly with older employees

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay, and benefits for employee.

Cons

Unorganized, with continuous changes. Does not put tools in place prior to making changes.

Look at persons overall ability to service the student, rather than only look at availability, and similar issues.

Great Job for Part Time Instructors

Current Employee - Certified Advanced Facilitator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Certified Advanced Facilitator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule for asynchronous classroom, allowing instructors to work a full time job at another company while facilitating classes outside of normal business hours. Compensated training for senior part time faculty via an annual cash bonus.

Cons

The training and course materials can be unengaging but this is not a significant criticism. Each new version of the online classroom and course materials has been an improvement over the previous version.

"Meh" kinda job

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for what you do
    3 weeks of paid training
    Good benefits/ sick days vacation days/ team builders

Cons

Shifts. If you are a new hire, you are guaranteed to work 12-9pm for your first year
    Mormons everywhere. 0% diversity on the management level.
    Hit or miss when it comes to management. I have had some amazing bosses, and some who aren't qualified to make their own breakfast in the morning.
    Enrolling people in class who can't turn on a computer without calling tech support.
    0 opportunity of career advancement

Academic Counselor - Axia College

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with students and being exposed to coaching them and being their mentor was extremely challenging and rewarding. My manager was very hands off and allowed us to complete our workflow in our own ways, so long as things got done and metrics were hit, very little intervention. I did see opportunities to advance my own skills had I worked there longer than the year roughly I was there.

Cons

At the Axia level, I felt there were a lot of students that should not be in school. To be blunt, not everyone should go to school and there has to be better expectations set for students about what is or is not realistic. I know the company has evolved a lot since I last worked there, but they seem to still carry a bad PR.

Teaching as an online adjunct is convenient and fairly easy.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very convenient--you can travel and still attend to your classes.
    Good training for newbies. Ongoing learning opportunities online.
    Fairly good students who want to learn.
    You choose the classes you want to teach--you get offers and you accept or reject them based on your personal schedule and/or interests.

Cons

Didn't really have a supervisor or content specific person to talk to about anything.
    Would have liked to meet face-to-face with other online adjunct teachers in my area occasionally.

University of Phoenix Photos