University of Phoenix

Updated October 18, 2014
2.8

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello
Dr. William Pepicello

Pros
  • Good benefits/ sick days vacation days/ team builders (in 48 reviews)

• Great benefits / somewhat flexible schedule (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • the worst upper management ever in the history of life (in 20 reviews)

• There is not a lot of room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Job for Part Time Instructors

Current Employee - Certified Advanced Facilitator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Certified Advanced Facilitator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule for asynchronous classroom, allowing instructors to work a full time job at another company while facilitating classes outside of normal business hours. Compensated training for senior part time faculty via an annual cash bonus.

Cons

The training and course materials can be unengaging but this is not a significant criticism. Each new version of the online classroom and course materials has been an improvement over the previous version.

An Awesome Learning Opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Faculty Liaison in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Faculty Liaison in West Chester, OH

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The university has great benefits. The university goes above and beyond to assist students and faculty. You work with the best teams and really learn from everyone.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about the university.

I wish you would not have decided to close down so many campuses, especially the Cincinnati Campus.

I love working at the UOP! Like every work place there will be pros and cons.. I will expose everything.

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

The training was not dreadful! You actually learn about the university and everything it offers. You receive tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Little opportunities to grow in the company. Calling students who never wanted to be students in the first place. haha

Promote more!

Teaching as an online adjunct is convenient and fairly easy.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very convenient--you can travel and still attend to your classes.
    Good training for newbies. Ongoing learning opportunities online.
    Fairly good students who want to learn.
    You choose the classes you want to teach--you get offers and you accept or reject them based on your personal schedule and/or interests.

Cons

Didn't really have a supervisor or content specific person to talk to about anything.
    Would have liked to meet face-to-face with other online adjunct teachers in my area occasionally.

Company has a bad reputation as an online diploma mill

Current Employee - Finance Advisor in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Finance Advisor in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing about University of Phoenix are the benefits. I have worked there for 8 years and I was able to obtain my Bachelor's Degree for free and 5 weeks of vacation.

Cons

Advancement. The company has had a hiring freeze for years and has closed many campuses.

Get to know your students! Stop sitting in board rooms and get out and meet them.

"Meh" kinda job

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for what you do
    3 weeks of paid training
    Good benefits/ sick days vacation days/ team builders

Cons

Shifts. If you are a new hire, you are guaranteed to work 12-9pm for your first year
    Mormons everywhere. 0% diversity on the management level.
    Hit or miss when it comes to management. I have had some amazing bosses, and some who aren't qualified to make their own breakfast in the morning.
    Enrolling people in class who can't turn on a computer without calling tech support.
    0 opportunity of career advancement

Enjoy my job, but little advancement opportunities

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

Great tuition benefits, decent manager, and generally well engaged coworkers. Decent benefits, although falling in value. Lots of experienced employees who are gracious and generous with helping both students and employees. Wonderful opportunity to help students who want an education.

Cons

Too many managers and leadership left over from old regime who seem incapable of adopting changes needed to correct some of the negatives. Lack of diversity for a company that wants greater globalization. There seems to be a disconnect between layers of management, and frontline employees. Almost no opportunity to advance.

Get off your behinds and get in the trenches, shake hands and kiss babies. The employees you are ignoring are the very ones you need to change direction, and correct the mess that has resulted from too much focus on stockholders, and too little on serving your customers, and the employees who serve them well.

I had the opportunity to work with a fantastic group of campus faculty dedicated to the students and their learning.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tulsa, OK

I worked at University of Phoenix part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, each class was accelerated and ran for five or six weeks. Faculty had academic freedom in the classroom and was provided with support.

Cons

Some students needed remedial resource for some content areas because of the length of time since they last attended school.

Continue to support the faculty. It was a shame to close the campuses.

Monotonous but stable

Former Employee - Contact Center Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Contact Center Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people
    Decent Benefits
    Free college tuition

Cons

Salary
    Managers aren't always on the same page
    Favortism

People should be given opportunities based on their skills and not based off who you personally like the best.

I began as s student and believed in their product so wanted to work for them.

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leader in industry. Award winning modalities. Very large organization can offer great benefits, flexible work environment, career development and progression opportunities, and discounts to quality education as an employee.

Cons

Large company = you are just a number at the end of the day. Lot's of change management currently taking place so can hinder job security and career progressions due to restructuring departments. Additionally, pay is very average and because you are just a "number" hard to negotiate higher pay. Seemingly unorganized when executing projects and internal communication is so so.

FYI - Employee morale is at an ultimate low. This is causing employees not to perform at their highest potential. With all the change in leadership and business strategies, these are times when you need to communicate better all the way down the change and be transparent. This is not a current reality and having worked with the company for 5 years I am very disappointed in how the organization is handling it's current internal business. I certainly hope the product University of Phoenix currently offers doesn't lesson due to the current leadership's inability to handle their current challenges.

University of Phoenix Photos