University of Phoenix

Updated September 27, 2014
2.8

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello
Dr. William Pepicello

Pros
  • It is a steady job and offers good benefits including education (in 47 reviews)

• Great benefits / somewhat flexible schedule (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth (in 10 reviews)

• Going to the shift bid schedule really upset the good work-life balance they were offering employees (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

treated me well. no complaints

Former Employee - Finance Advisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Finance Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management really tries to appease the employees. Some of the antics are silly, but all are an effort to build a cohesive team.

Cons

Try as they might to build teams, everyone is evaluated as an individual. The likelihood of promotion based upon effort and success is highly unlikely.

Stop having Christmas parties that do not include your rank and file members

Teaching and Helping Students.

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

I like the 5 or 6 week format depending on undergraduate or graduate courses. The students for the most part want to be there and show up to class and participate

Cons

The recent change of the LMS and upgrades to the portal site sometimes make it harder to find what you are looking for

Communicate more

Good company to work for with good benefits

Former Employee - Enrollment Advoior  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advoior in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

University of Phoenix is a great employer. It is a steady job and offers good benefits including education. As an employee you are always busy and most managers are open. The company is going through some changes but I believe they have the best intentions in mind. Is the original online university and is still the best because they do for the most part keep the student in mind.

Cons

Make your message more clear. Stop changing things every 5 seconds and truely be open to advice from your employees. You have a Very educated staff and many resources at your fingertips which you could utilize to your benefit.

Upper management: Stay Involved! Your plan is a good one and your core values are solid. There are still several managers and director lingering from before these positive changes and while they "talk well" they don't always walk the talk.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Change for change's sake

I worked at University of Phoenix

Pros

Strong mission and nice people who seem to genuinely care about helping students.

Cons

Drastic leadership changes across the organization from Apollo down seem to be sucking the life out of this place.

Stick with a strategy for more than a couple of months- too many pendulum swings.

It was a nice place to work but I felt under valued

Current Employee - Customer Resource Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Resource Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, office culture, vacation

Cons

For me the biggest challenge was the pay; I was told that others in my position were making 10k more than me but at this point it is what it is.

Easy going, fun environment, changing lives!

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

Fun environment, not very stressful, get to leave your work at work. Good benefits and vacation/sick time. Knowing you are changing lives.

Cons

No incentives, no room for growth unless you are willing to relocate. Shift bids, new employee work odd hours (11am-8pm, or Saturdays)

Not too bad

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

It is an easy job with not a lot of stress. When I left work, I truly left work and didn't have to stress too much. You get paid decent for what you do. You get practically free education after six months which is nice. A masters is a masters! All in all I think it is a great place for recent graduates looking to break into the corporate world or learn.

Cons

There really isn't any growth within the company. It is like a socialized work place and by that I mean most people get paid the same. Doesn't matter if you are the leader or the weak link you will get paid the same with no bonuses or incentives. It can be a little frustrating when the person next to you hardly works and is getting paid more or the same pending on their time there.

Learn how to keep talent. You guys spend so much money on training and then when a star rises you could care less.

Stagnant employment opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Standard benefits are competitive, the best part is the 52% discount on your education and $5250 in fees waived annually. Your education at the bachelors level is waived with the exception of the resource fee.

Cons

Strong sales environment despite behavior based performance management. No opportunity for advancement and change is constant. The organization makes all decisions with profitability as the primary motivator. As a result employee morale has been compromised leading to many resignations.

Consider your front-line employees and request feedback before making knee-jerk decisions.

Good experience but NO way to move up!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good experience when you have a good manager. I was lucky enough to have a hand full of good managers a few great one. I gained great experience there through professional development classes and on the job training. I really appreciated the benefit of free school. It is a really wonderful perk of the job!

Cons

On the other hand if you have a terrible manager that has a huge ego then you have not chance of moving up or even learning new skills. This University has a problem with promoting people that are good at their job but have no management or people skills. Manager training is very important and this University doesn't seem to value that.
    They also take advantage of their good managers and do not compensate them properly for excelling in their roll.
    This university also has a problem with communication; they don't seem to think their employees are smart enough to handle honest communication.

Spend time providing training for new managers and developing quality managers.
    Value and support quality managers you have before they leave.
    Communicate with transparency to your employees.

My expericence at University of Phoenix enhanced my leadership skills

Former Employee - Enrollment Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The support provided by your colleagues.

Cons

In the later years at University of Phoenix, growth was very difficult.

Communication with subordinates.

University of Phoenix Photos

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!