University of Phoenix

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello
Dr. William Pepicello

Pros
  • Great pay, good benefits, I enjoy the opportunities I have for problem solving, (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits / somewhat flexible schedule (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • the worst upper management ever in the history of life (in 19 reviews)

• The pay is terrible and have made it clear that there is little to no chance of advancing (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Change for change's sake

I worked at University of Phoenix

Pros

Strong mission and nice people who seem to genuinely care about helping students.

Cons

Drastic leadership changes across the organization from Apollo down seem to be sucking the life out of this place.

Stick with a strategy for more than a couple of months- too many pendulum swings.

It was a nice place to work but I felt under valued

Current Employee - Customer Resource Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Resource Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, office culture, vacation

Cons

For me the biggest challenge was the pay; I was told that others in my position were making 10k more than me but at this point it is what it is.

Easy going, fun environment, changing lives!

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

Fun environment, not very stressful, get to leave your work at work. Good benefits and vacation/sick time. Knowing you are changing lives.

Cons

No incentives, no room for growth unless you are willing to relocate. Shift bids, new employee work odd hours (11am-8pm, or Saturdays)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is my fifth year working at University of Phoenix.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, 401K matching, small classroom size, on going classes

Cons

Classes are not offered as consistently as I would like, but they seem to be getting a little better as of the last few months.

Not too bad

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

It is an easy job with not a lot of stress. When I left work, I truly left work and didn't have to stress too much. You get paid decent for what you do. You get practically free education after six months which is nice. A masters is a masters! All in all I think it is a great place for recent graduates looking to break into the corporate world or learn.

Cons

There really isn't any growth within the company. It is like a socialized work place and by that I mean most people get paid the same. Doesn't matter if you are the leader or the weak link you will get paid the same with no bonuses or incentives. It can be a little frustrating when the person next to you hardly works and is getting paid more or the same pending on their time there.

Learn how to keep talent. You guys spend so much money on training and then when a star rises you could care less.

Stagnant employment opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Standard benefits are competitive, the best part is the 52% discount on your education and $5250 in fees waived annually. Your education at the bachelors level is waived with the exception of the resource fee.

Cons

Strong sales environment despite behavior based performance management. No opportunity for advancement and change is constant. The organization makes all decisions with profitability as the primary motivator. As a result employee morale has been compromised leading to many resignations.

Consider your front-line employees and request feedback before making knee-jerk decisions.

Very professional people, extraordinary technology and very forward-thinking environment

Former Employee - Regional  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Regional in Charlotte, NC

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I worked with were genuine professionals who cared about the students and doing a good job. Benefits and salary were excellent.

Cons

Constant changes created an environment of suspicion.

Listen to feedback

University of Phoenix is a decent placeholder position

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

The job itself can be rewarding with intrinsic value gained from personal impact.

Cons

Some of the business strategies seem poorly constructed.

It was a fine enough company with a confusing culture

Current Employee - Outbound Contact Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Outbound Contact Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Once you were in the call center it wasn't very difficult to stay.
    Most people had a positive attitude.
    Free tuition (for whatever that is worth).

Cons

Not a well respected school.
    Tactics for "recruiting" new students were poor and annoying.
    No real measure of performance (at least in the call center). Raises unanimous regardless of any real performance indicators.

Use different indicators for assessing performance

Senior Enrollment Advisor

Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Each day you get to help students achieve their academic goals. The majority of the students are working adults, parents and non-traditional college aged so they tend to be leery about being in college. As an enrollment advisor you get to help them navigate the enrollment process and encourage them as they transition into college. It can be a rewarding experience.

Cons

Where do I begin? The University struggles to put their employees over the stockholder interest. There is no work life balance because you have unusual schedules like Mon-Fri 11-8 or you work Saturdays. You have to earn sick time. Let's say you go out on sick leave to have a baby and exhaust your sick time. You have to earn sick hours with each pay period. I had never heard of such. As an enrollment advisor, you do a lot of cold calling and sometimes yo feel like you work at a call center. The pay is not comparable to the job and degree requirements. And the company is obsessed with change. Every 3-6 months there is some major change that takes place which shakes the foundation of the company's core.

The managers needs more training on how to better relate to their employees.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!