University of Phoenix Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
771 reviews filtered by

1. What is there to be said about the University of Phoenix? Not much. It's not all bad, but not great, either.

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will always have work as a processor. There's never a shortage of work on the processing floor, whether it is processing student files or just busywork to catch up on projects that have been put to the wayside because of an influx of student files.

Cons

Middle management are not totally on the up and up. Promotions are next to impossible if you don't like getting your nose brown or like the smell of BS from your managers. Micro-managing is always going on. Some days you might not be at your best and they will come down on you hard. I felt uncomfortable my last two months there. Duties were taken away from me under the guise of management wanting to have better "coverage" when instead they were prepared to terminate my six-year tenure without giving me an inkling of why.

Transparency, transparency, transparency. Constant town hall meetings where nothing new is discussed is meaningless and counter-productive. You're actually wasting our time and removing processors from their desk to rehash old information.

2. Worst sales enviornment of my 36 years in sales

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can make really good money if you don't mind screwing over people less fortunate than you.

Cons

Brutal environment....think GlenGary GlenRoss. New leads are for "closers". If you do not take advantage of very vulnerable applicants you will fail. If you really care about people, and attempt to give them the information so they can make an informed choice about what is best for them, you will get squeezed out. They will stop giving you "hot" new leads and only give you old leads that the top sales people were unable to close. So, guess what, then you sales get worse and worse until they use that as an excuse to let you go. You are encouraged to financially ruin people with very few resources in order to pad your own (and thereby the company's) pockets. It's an environment that turns even good people into selfish, ruthless salespeople. Those who come in with that mentality can be very successful. Those that have a sense of personal integrity do not last.

Please learn that people are more important than profit. And not just you and the people in your family. Other people and their families too.

3. University of Change. If you can manage change then you will find a career.

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than you will find at any public university. They offer extensive training and as long as you are a go getter than you won't have anything to worry about.

Cons

Get comfortable/lax and you're gone. Be on your game 100% of the time.

Try to keep the people that are making you money by appreciating them. It's hard because of industry regulations, I know, but there are things you can do to make someone stay around longer and become a part of the team.

5. Unknown future

I worked at University of Phoenix

Pros

Staff environment is fun and friendly

Cons

No HR team in local campuses which means a lot of unethical things and favortism going on

Be transparent with staff

6. Beware, corporate politics, greed, and favoritism.

Former Employee - Administration in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administration in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally decent pay, a few quality colleagues here and there, and decent benefits, though they recently changed to "exchange" insurance that is ridiculously overpriced.

Cons

Management is terrible and focused only on keeping the ship from sinking. Favoritism runs rampant, and the rules don't apply equally to all. They have no interest in helping you grow; they want nothing more from you than to sit in your chair, don't ask questions, and be quiet. I was hired into a very hard job and subsequently went through 4 management changes in under a year. Each one was progressively worse. I was never trained properly. I made a few small mistakes here and there and was never properly coached on improving beyond the tired "don't make this mistake again" speech. The leadership is uninspiring at best and downright hostile at worst. I was disciplined over every minor (and sometimes imaginary) thing I did wrong. I am one to own my mistakes, but they don't care about that. They care about building a file on you so they can bounce you out the door whenever a dispute or disagreement arises. I was let go 3 days after I interviewed with a competitor school last year. This was the worst experience I ever had. A midcareer professional with two graduate degrees, and I was made to feel like a toddler who'd messed his pants every single day. The charade continued right up until the second I was escorted out the door by security.

Actually be there for your employees, especially the ones who show initiative and actually want to move up. Employees are more than ID numbers and butts in seats. Start interacting. I never saw anything from management unless I was doing something wrong. Working for this company is stressful enough when there's the constant threat of layoffs and the daily rumor mill about more cuts, declining enrollment, and posting horrible numbers.

7. Senior Academic Counselor

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, good pay and good benefits.

Cons

No room to grow and a lot of management does not seem qualified to be in managerial positions. Also the culture is pretty negative. It was a much better place to work when I first started but over the years it declined significantly. Not many people seem happy there.

Create opportunities for advancement and opportunities to make more money. There need to be more monetary incentives.

8. Employment experience doesn't bode well for the students.

Current Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

Able to work from home.

Cons

In order to give the students a great experience, really needed to put in a lot of hours for low pay.

Pay an hourly rate or increase the pay by term.

9. Great company, no room for growth.

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good values, good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Bad communication, not a lot of new employment opportunities or room to move up.

10. Neither Teachers Nor Students: The School that Lost its Way

I worked at University of Phoenix (more than 5 years)

Pros

Educator to those who could get student loans
    Pioneered making profits in Higher Education
    Opportunities for employees to learn new skills and meet new people

Cons

Unprofessional management that despises faculty
    Takes advantage of students
    Produces no meaningful research
    No loyalty to faculty
    No collective understanding of how research is produced
    Senior management is inexperienced and seriously underpowered
    Age discrimation

Takes some classes in the Business School of the University

Under-appreciated

Current Employee - Any Job in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Any Job in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

Working with the students who wanted a better life.

Cons

Management lacked leadership, company continues to downsize, they replace good talent for mediocre people an puppets. Managers have their own interest in mind and protect themselves and their paycheck

Fire yourself and find leadership. Value your employees, value your students, listen and you will go much further.

University of Phoenix Photos