University of Phoenix

Updated September 19, 2014
2.9

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello
Dr. William Pepicello

Pros
  • Great pay, good benefits, I enjoy the opportunities I have for problem solving, (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits / somewhat flexible schedule (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • the worst upper management ever in the history of life (in 19 reviews)

• The pay is terrible and have made it clear that there is little to no chance of advancing (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

They have earned the scrutiny they are receiving from the government and media

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some coworkers and managers were great

Cons

Horribly ineffective(and expensive) implementation of company-wide change initiatives followed by rapid about face from changes. Management often touts transparency but UoPx corporate is anything but

If there was a zero star, I would choose it.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Denver, CO

I worked at University of Phoenix as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

There really is no benefit to working for UOPX.

Cons

As a previous adjunct faculty member, there is no support. They are pushing out long-term, (those on the high end of the pay scale) to make their numbers. There is a clear lack of support. They want student enrollment to increase and therefore are will to sacrifice quality for quantity. Such a disappoint to have a degree from there and to have invested my time in working to help students succeed (for the right reasons.)

Understand how to manage people not just numbers.

BAD

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

Free education, nice facility.

Cons

No flexibility. Asked to do many tasked that you where not hired for.

Treat employes on case by case basis.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"For-profit" institution--literally

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a job, it's money/income and they have benefits although UOP recently switched to a lower-quality (cheaper) health and dental insurance that costs employees more per paycheck than it used to...

Cons

There hasn't been any growth, stocks have been plummeting and all of the negative publicity about UOP in the news is pretty much true. To charge $80,000 for a Bachelor of Science in Psychology (available online) when it doesn't lead to licensure is a guaranteed way to add to the over national debt. Company is for-profit driven and thus all decisions and office culture reflect such. Mandatory overtime doesn't help the idea of work/life balance, which doesn't ever have to be worked by management or senior management.

Most management in all departments are micro-managing puppets, lacking quality leadership skills, with the exception of very few good managers. The majority of the managers just do what they're told, push the numbers and just pretend to look busy. Perhaps if management got their hands dirty along with the employees to help increase productivity, they wouldn't have to helicopter manage their employees and could save the company enough money to reward and pay the employees that work so hard and sacrifice so much of their lives to keep the company afloat. Upper management says that they have an open door policy and that they welcome new ideas, including how to increase employee satisfaction, but when presented a proposal on such, they just dismissed it without applying any of the ideas or truly listening. Ironically, just the opposite happened--incentives were slowly taken away and became few and far between. The pay scales were decreased, reviews and raises were delayed--not to mentioned decreased without retro-pay.

Sadly diminished over the years

I worked at University of Phoenix

Pros

Work with great people. Decent wages and benefits. Offers access to quality education for busy, working adults.

Cons

All decisions made by corporate who has no idea what the staff "in the trenches" need. Only interested in the bottom line. All of the money and decision-making is at the over-staffed top levels. Company claims transparency, but won't be honest with anyone. Career progression changes often so no one ever actually advances. Unrealistic expectations and micromanaging.

Consistent career progression plan. Take care of and listen to the the student-facing employees.

Classes for all states are now assigned by central office in Phoenix!

Current Employee - Associate Faculty  in  Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Faculty in Southfield, MI

I have been working at University of Phoenix as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great teaching experience. When I began in 2008, the Chair was terrible to me but thank God he was removed. Since then, My managers and supervisors are terrific in Southfield, MI.

Cons

From 2008 to April 2014, I was receiving class assignment directly from my Homebase Office (in Southfield, MI). I was requested to teach 1-2 classes per 5 weeks prior to this. Since then, I have not received an invitation to teach one class. No one in Phoenix knows my teaching skills or good rapport with students in Detroit. I want to know why this changed. Compensation is good but no benefits.

I have tried to get even a part-time job on staff in the Detroit area for the past 7 years without any luck at all. WHY?

Apollo online teaching requires about three times as much work from instructors as teaching on ground. I

Give control for class assignments back to each Homebase Office in each state.

University of Phoenix...A Great Place to Start (Only)

Former Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor
    Former Employee - Adjunct Online Instructor

I worked at University of Phoenix as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

University of Phoenix has very good training for its online adjuncts. They set high standards for participation and timeliness, which helps new instructors develop good habits that will carry them through until they are able to land work at other schools.

Additionally, the university provided very good learning materials and a solid proprietary learning management system (online classroom environment).

Cons

Teaching at University of Phoenix is a grind. It's more like working in a coal mine than in an academic environment.

The school's doors are so wide open -- that is, it appears that the only requirements for admission are that you can fog a mirror and qualify for financial aid -- that you get very little time to actually provide instruction to people who know how to learn.

Additionally, the periodic reviews and rules for faculty are so stringent that they actually stifle the instructional process and force instructors to waste time trying to carry the burden for "students" who have chosen not to learn anything during the years leading up to their University of Phoenix admission.

Overall, during my six-year tenure with University of Phoenix (I left the school for other teaching opportunities a couple years ago), only about 30 percent of my students had anywhere near the skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to succeed in a college environment.

Finally, the pay is VERY LOW, far too low to justify the workload the school places on its adjuncts. You can make more than twice as much and work about half the hours at many other schools.

Pay your adjuncts higher wages and allow them to spend more time with the students who have a chance to succeed.

Abandon the fantasy that college is for everybody and incorporate higher standards for admissions. The mere fact that a student is able to qualify for taxpayer assistance is not enough proof to bet taxpayer money that they will be able to function in college.

It was an okay entry level job.

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get most holiday's off. Training is extensive. The people are great. They hire fun and energetic people who can be fun to work with.

Cons

No upward movement and management is focused on numbers. Getting referrals is a big part of the job so if you are not comfortable with asking people to recommend their friends and family it can become difficult and stressful.

Management should help employees develop a career plan whether they are staying in their role or moving on to a different position with another company. They should support this in order to have a more loyal staff.

Not to bad if you did your work.

Former Employee - Senior Military Enrollment Advisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Military Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than a year

Pros

I found that the pay and benefits were the best part. Plus I had a nice view of the valley from where I worked.

Cons

Office politics was nothing that I found fun at all. Also you could not take time off even though they wanted you to do so.

Take care of the employees and don't focus so much on the numbers.

To much change but excellent piers.

I worked at University of Phoenix for more than 5 years

Pros

Have places to transition into. Other than money related lay-offs it is a safe place to work.

Cons

Senior management changes to many things to often to make ends meet. Right hand does not know what left hand is doing but this is typical for any large corporation.

Appreciation of employees will allow them to exceed expectations.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!