University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

University of Phoenix President Dr. William Pepicello

Dr. William Pepicello

Pros
  • Great pay, good benefits, I enjoy the opportunities I have for problem solving, (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits / somewhat flexible schedule (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • the worst upper management ever in the history of life (in 19 reviews)

• The pay is terrible and have made it clear that there is little to no chance of advancing (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what I hoped for....

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsCo workers have great personalities. They're fun to be around. Money is okay.

ConsManagement convinces employees to be pushy. Micro management. Job description is not aligned with the actual expectations of the role. Structure of the sales process is robotic. Very much a tele marketing position. Job states to find the best fit, but insists you probe all customers even if not interested. Students feel harassed by calling them several times. Changing shifts, no consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop micro managing and support employees to be themselves. Have good criticism and not just a bunch of negative coaching/feedback. Be honest about what the job really is before training.

A painful three years

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat, continuous training. This is a great place to start your sales career because they give you excellent sales training, training you might not get anywhere else.

ConsMicromanaged, motivated out of fear, no opportunity to increase income or move up, everyone was updating their resumes and no one liked their job. The year they removed our opportunity for bi annual raises and removed our market increases a top level exec got a 24 million dollar bonus! People who work here are smart and good at what they do and they don't get paid well. They are supporting families and trying to survive and to have income remain flat, regardless of performance, while execs make outrages bonuses is horrible for moral. I went through four rounds of layoffs and we were motivated out of fear to perform at insanely high standards, facing horrible company image in the public, and with a plethora of competition. We started begging to be laid off...

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement is a horrible way to manage... You even teach this in you business classes yet this is what you do... Do you know our bathroom breaks were even monitored?! It is horrible to ask your people to forgo any increases and then give execs insane bonuses! If you ask us to forgo increases then everyone should forgo...

Opportunity was once available, not anymore.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone benefits from education and University of Phoenix were innovators and pioneers of non-traditional higher education.

ConsExecutives make poor
    Decisions and change policy frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your enrollment advisors more so you attract a professional who is vested in their career and the health of the University.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out great.....

Academic Counselor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood Benefits
    Can get degree almost for free
    Most of your co-workers are great

I had a lot of really great co-workers and made a lot of great friends. The work itself is not overly difficult, it is just a matter of learning the academic policies. I was there almost 7 years, so I went from the metric based pay to the market adjustment pay. Fortunately I was making good money before the new pay structure kicked in.

ConsNo room for advancement
    Constant change
    Actually implement the management techniques that are taught in class.

There is absolutely no room for advancement. Moving into other departments is next to impossible because they generally have a person for the job already picked out. The company is constantly changing and a new student education model is always being introduced. If you want the company to be a call center, just make it one already.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay scale adjustment came too little too late. Also, implement 360 reviews and actually do a day in the life of a counselor. Constant change keeps being implemented without much thought as to how it will actually affect the people who have to follow it. Start talking to your employees because there is a whole lot of fear going around that if you don't drink the kool-aid, you will be gone.

Pleased faculty

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsI enjoy teaching at the University of Phoenix. It forces me to read, learn, evaluate and re-evaluate my educational abilities. Processes are constantly changing and it keeps me going and fresh. The staff at the local facility are very nice and productive for the most part. Teaching at the University of Phoenix is not for everyone, but I have enjoyed it!

ConsI am a contract employee and as such I am not guaranteed classes, and there are no benefits. No medical insurance, sick time, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel the University of Phoenix is going in the right direction on many levels.

If you love change, this is the place for you!

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits were wonderful! The work-life balance was good prior to many changes.

ConsGoing to the shift bid schedule really upset the good work-life balance they were offering employees. There was no room for growth.

UOP can be a good fit for someone wanting to get a good start in the online teaching world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork is asynchronous, meaning teachers and students login and meet work requirements on their own time. UOP seems to care about students and the quality of education.

ConsCompensation is relatively low and work load is unpredictable. Demand for teachers (or what they call "facilitators") seems to be declining. UOP may be suffering from heavy competition but they also appear to be working to compete and provide a higher quality education for students.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more clear with setting expectations for facilitators and work harder to find ways of aligning qualified individuals with other teaching opportunities within the organization.

Adjunct Faculty

Adjunct Online Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsGreat systems and tools and communication

Conspoor growth potential and spotty schedule

Advice to Senior Managementspend less on higher ups

Unique Service for Unique Clients

Senior Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsParent company Apollo group provides numerous opportunities in an array of business fields. University of Phoenix provides training and mentoring for employees seeking advancement and growth in management.

ConsChanges in the industry have forced recent downsizing. The university now requires Bachelors degrees for a number of positions. Still, from a business standpoint this can be seen as a positive as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain college degree program divisions opposed to spatial and temporal divisions. This is vital to the corporate culture within colleges.

Adjunct faculty

ProsFlexible contracts, variety of classes available to teach

ConsCant always get a class

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!