University of Pittsburgh Reviews

Reset
4.0
University of Pittsburgh Chancellor and CEO Mark A. Nordenberg
Mark A. Nordenberg

Pros
  • Work/life balance is definitely a plus (in 13 reviews)

• awesome place to work, great benefits (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Management issues, little room for advancement (in 8 reviews)

• low salary and doesn't advance quickly (in 13 reviews)

1. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, set my own hours, worked under a really great professor. Would definitely recommend the job to any qualified student.

Cons

There were not any notable cons. If anything, there was almost too little oversight over the position.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you set a minimum hours per week requirement for student workers so they would not fall behind or procrastinate.

2. Graduate Assistant Women's Basketball Coach

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant Women's Basketball Coach in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant Women's Basketball Coach in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience and work environment

Cons

Possibility of upward mobility was not possible

3. Graduate student researcher at PITT

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh

Pros

equal opportunity, professional, great benefits, competitive working environment,

Cons

city is almost dead, weather can be unfriendly,

5. Graduate Student

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great research opportunities.

Cons

Small department, and not a lot of collaboration.

6. Nice undergraduate work opportunity

Current Employee - Undergraduate TA in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Undergraduate TA in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pitt offered a good way for students in my field to gain experience related to my field by working directly for the university. Our hours were quite flexible and we were compensated for prep time.

Cons

The wage was fairly low considering the level of knowledge needed to perform duties. Moreover, there was no real channel to improve wage/work under better conditions. Not many incentives to stand out.

7. Undergraduate Research Assistant

Current Intern - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Intern - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the lab where I work. We are allowed flexibility and independence. We can contribute to the lab's work at our own pace. And the PI is willing to help with nearly every question and concern we have. Overall, my time here has been an extremely rewarding experience.

Cons

In my experience, it is very easy to work for academic credit; but to be compensated with money, one has to apply for outside scholarships/grants.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to receive monetary compensation for undergraduate research.

8. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of diverse research going on, especially in education. PAT access as a student or faculty.

Cons

High-stress environment. The campus is set in an urban environment.

9. Research Tech

Current Employee - Research Technician III in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician III in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours that enable full-time workers to engage in taking classes and obtaining BS or MS degree. Awesome tuition reimbursement opportunities. Great health benefits and retirement options.

Cons

Difficult to move around within job category (research). Great benefits counterbalanced by low salary.

10. Good if you want the academic life

Current Employee - Systems Programmer IV in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Programmer IV in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Nice Campus - Salary depends on who (or which PI) you work for - can be good or bad - Flexible work hours

Cons

- Bureaucratic: not a good thing if you are trying to do both research and work - Forget about career growth unless you jump from one department to another

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter - its academia!

11. Good place to work at times

Former Employee - Software in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review is written based on my second go around at Pitt as an employee (I was a student/employee previously as well in another department). The benefits are great, the amount of vacation/sick time you get from the start is just phenomenal. I didn't get to use the health benefits as much, but I got to use the dental and vision to the fullest extent. The dental coverage was great, at worst case I paid 15% of the total cost of a procedure, and best case (which was most of the time) it was fully covered. My particular managers were great, understanding, and understood what work life balance meant. They treated people as individuals, and it was a fun environment that was still professional. I had family issues that my managers took seriously, and personally as they could understand my situation, and made sure I had everything I needed. In my short time at the department, I learned far more than I did in internships and school itself. I know that in many reviews people say the University is lacking in many ways, but it depends on your department and your coworkers. I can honestly say, that my team felt like a family, and that the experience helped my advance my career. There were thought days when deadlines were approaching/arriving, there were fun days when you got to learn new technologies and techniques you never knew existed. For many professions, especially the engineering profession, the University is a great place to develop and contribute.

Cons

The pay was much lower than you would get in a corporation (they tell you this up front, I was told this in my interview). The one thing that bothered me specifically was that a person doing basic IT work (computer troubleshooting, simple maintenance, tech support) that started six months before me made more than I did as a software developer. Another con, as mentioned in other reviews, the pros/cons will depend on your department and your managers. As I said in my pros, my direct managers were great. Their manage however, would talk unprofessionally about employees, included my managers to my face, discussing it with HR does bring it back up to the highest most manager, and it continues the loop. There was a point that I would just avoid that manager. From said manager, employees were insulted, belittled, and degraded, especially if their ideas were better than said manager's. In terms of career opportunities, not a whole lot exist. You can move up slightly, and they usually put you in a position that they can still give you a decent raise (mind you still below corporate levels), but the work you will be doing will generally be the same whether you are a junior or senior developer.

Advice to Management

Management courses to stay consistent across all levels of management. I understand that there will be different management styles, however when talking to one manager then another, it shouldn't be like a mood swing from clam and friendly to insulting and belittling.

RSS Feed </> Embed