University of Pittsburgh

Updated September 26, 2014
3.9

University of Pittsburgh Chancellor and CEO Mark A. Nordenberg
Mark A. Nordenberg

Pros
  • Great benefits, including greatly reduced tuition, healthcare, and vacation time (in 24 reviews)

• Work/life balance is definitely a plus (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Management issues, little room for advancement (in 8 reviews)

• Low salary and will not increase employee pay grade if you qualify (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

214 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It is fantastic.

Current Employee - Pathfinder  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pathfinder in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The values are bar none

Cons

Hours can interfere with school schedules

Thank your employees a little bit more

Good place to study and work

Current Employee - Work Study - Student Employment  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Work Study - Student Employment in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh part-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to do research with relatively renowned professors
    Able to balance research schedule with class schedule
    Good school prestige when looking for future employers

Cons

The hourly wages for a student research assistant are moderate.
    As a student research assistant you are unlikely to have many coworkers.
    Some tasks that you are assigned as a student research assistant are a bit menial.

Keep up the good work.

Good place for academic researcher

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family friendly environment. Medical and educational benefits.

Cons

Relatively low salary. It only can cover the low living cost of Pittsburgh area.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PhD Student

Current Employee - PhD Student  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Independent research opportunity, career development, good education

Cons

Salary could be higher. Life of a PhD student is pretty hard, but with motivated colleagues, it is manageable.

Nice place to work if you don't need to eat.

Former Employee - Personnel Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Personnel Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tuition assistance for self and children, winter break, well known name, great work schedule. Really enjoyed the people that I worked with and the students.

Cons

Horribly low salaries!! Benefits were very expensive. Cost of monthly parking passes were too high. Complacent, lazy managers. There was absolutely no training for a position that dealt with very time sensitive material.

Start of a career after Master's

Current Employee - Research Technician IV  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician IV in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a good place to start up your career.

Cons

Poor pay and no growth in the job....

They have no role and it all depends on the grant money

Good work place but health insurance is not good

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment and benefits are good

Cons

UPMC health insurance is not good

the experiences of graduate students seem to be highly variable

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As indicated in my title, I think the experience of any given graduate student depends highly on the specific department/program/advisor. So, that said, take all of this with grain of salt -- both the pros and the cons.

Pros:
    (1) Between Pitt and CMU, I felt like I had access to a very large, talented community of scientists. I met a lot of very very smart people, both at the trainee and the P.I. level.
    (2) I also felt like I had no trouble accessing the resources I needed -- financial resources, research tools, etc -- in order to do good work.
    (3) It seemed like the need for independent thought and individual growth was prioritized and respected. I didn't feel like I needed to be concerned about the consequences if I expressed disagreement, or wanted to try something new/unconventional.
    (4) Medical benefits were good.
    (5) Pittsburgh is an inexpensive place to live.
    (6) I didn't feel like it was too stressful of a place to work.

Cons

(1) The city also has its downsides -- Some of the rental housing is very, very poor, and if you plan to rent, you should start searching very far in advance (3-4 months) if you want to find a good place. And while it is true that Pittsburgh is not the gritty steel city of yore, it's still not the most eco-friendly place on the planet -- It is often ranked as one of the more air-polluted cities in the U.S. It has a lot of things going for it, also, but I would be sure to check out the city thoroughly before moving there, to see if its pros and cons meet your needs/wishes.

(2) So, I had two general concerns about Pitt, which both fall into the category of vague impressions, so it might be worth consulting other reviews to see if other people feel the same way. First, the adjective that kept coming to mind when I worked there was "sclerotic" - a little bit behind, wedded to the past, and I was concerned sometimes that there was more interest in celebrating senior faculty members than in helping see to the success of the junior faculty that came in. Second, I seemed to know of more P.I.'s than usual who struck me as being on the really problematic side, with respect to their general comportment and how they treated others. I'm sure that they were still just the outliers of an otherwise normal community of people, but they managed to have a knack for drawing a lot of attention to themselves.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible working time, and good health insurance covered by the univerisity

Cons

the stipend is barely enough for living in Pittsburgh

Somewhat underpaid, but good benefits and work/life balance

Current Employee - Part-time Instructor  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Part-time Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are quite good, including unlimited free access to public transportation. You also get health insurance even if you're only teaching one class (considered 10 hours per week).

Cons

As a part-time instructor, my compensation works out to $18.00 per hour, pre-tax. In my opinion, that's too low for the highly skilled and specialized work I do, especially given the total lack of job security from semester to semester and the fact that most of us are lucky to get just two classes (20 hours per week). The end result is that we have relaxed schedules, decent health insurance, and perks like free transportation, but earn the equivalent of full-time fast food wages. Not a bad deal at all if you have a partner or spouse who can make up the income gap, but tough in any other circumstance.

Payroll used to be an awful hassle, but in recent years, it's gotten better-- more responsive-- and you can do things like file or revise W-3s online. More administrative streamlining like this would be welcome.

University of Pittsburgh Photos

Worked for University of Pittsburgh? Contribute to the Community!