University of Puget Sound

www.ups.edu

University of Puget Sound Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
University of Puget Sound – Tacoma – “the beauty of pink trees”

Ronald R. Thomas

Fun place to work

ProsFlexible work hours and good management.

ConsNot enough work hours available.

Can be inneficient

ProsMost departments are very relaxed and fun to work for

ConsThe departments are terrible at communicating with each other

"passive"

Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsVery open, but not very competitive, so no real talent or progress ever emerges.

ConsA lot of rich white kids. If that's what you're into, cool, but not for me. Definitely easier to exploit. Hahaha joking!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake policies tougher. Be stricter. Stop being wimps about everything.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admin Assistant at the International Programs

Administrative Assistant At the International Programs Office (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsGreat people and friendly environment. Flexibility with scheduling hours for student workers. My bosses are humorous and always open to improvement suggestions from all.

ConsI didn't really see any cons during my time there.

Great!

ProsGreat people, fantastic facilities, the students are awesome!

This is the university to work at in the Northwest! Go Loggers!

ConsSometimes the administration seems a little bit bureaucratic, but I assume that is true about any university. But I love it here!

Good place to work, but they are very slow to change.

ProsGreat Co-workers. Better than average benefits. Treat employees ethically and with respect.

ConsTraining opportunities are limited. They do not promote from within. Large workload. Takes a long time for them to fill vacant positions. It is almost impossible to take vacation. Pay rate is lower than average.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees so that they can be promoted when the opportunity arrises. Hire enough employees so that the workload is not overwhelming.

Overall great workplace, wonderful opportunity to learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsVery motivated team, good compensation, and plenty of chances to expand career experience.

ConsOccasionally the bureaucracy of things slows down the speed at which it takes to complete tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are really good at setting expectations at the beginning of projects, but as the project picks up and everyone gets busier, it is much more difficult to communicate.

Best people I've ever worked with. Smart, caring, hard working, and down-to-earth.

Professor (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsThe faculty here are truly incredible. They're excellent researchers and scholars, but all share a deep desire to connect with students and inspire them to do their best. The students are strong overall, and the best of them are truly excellent. Location is nice as well.

ConsThe university has implemented a fixed pay scale across academic departments. While some might consider this a plus, it has the unfortunate consequence of making it hard to hire in departments that have traditionally commanded a salary premium at other instutions (e.g. Econ or Business).

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkload is enormous. Breeds discontent.

Wonderful students, caring environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsThe students are bright and accomplished, and the university runs itself well (no major layoffs and whatnot) for long term success.

ConsSome people have been there forever and could have benefitted from moving on.

mailroom staff

Mail Room Assistant (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

Prospositive environment
    easy job to do

Consmind numbing work that bores you

Advice to Senior Managementtreat students like equals

Worked for University of Puget Sound? Contribute to the Community!