University of Redlands

Add Photos

Ralph W. Kuncl

Great place to be

Search Committee Member (Former Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsIt was a very pleasant experience, my opinion mattered and the people are great. There is fantastic leadership and depending on your position there can be any amount of employee empowerment.

ConsMy work was volunteer, but I've heard that pay in some positions isn't top notch. The campus is gorgeous though, just make sure to ask all of the questions that you want to know about before committing.

Redlands has been a humbling and enlightening experience.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsThe work has required that I learn new perspectives and skills, but has allowed me to work independently and in a team or structured environment. They have allowed for my personality and career goals to shape which projects I take on and have provided support for my own goals.

ConsThe hours were limited by my student employee status. I would have preferred to have had at least 20 or 30 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider opening up opportunities to provide student employees with more hours and further responsibility. Make sure not to change the support for personal development and career development that currently exists in this work environment.

Great Faculty, bureaucratic and bloated Administration

ProsGorgeous campus, excellent learning environment and truly an excellent university

ConsNew president is a bit clueless and doesn't seem to have any sort of personal commitment to the university. Their staffing choices are questionable and the whole atmosphere is bureaucratic and slightly inept (if you've worked in business before you will see this, if not you might enjoy the relaxed atmosphere).

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your hiring practices

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work-flexible and understanding.

Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsI like that I have flexibility in the classroom and with the curriculum.

ConsI would like more faculty meetings.

Liberal Arts University

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsExcellent liberal arts University located in Redlands, California.

ConsNone at this time. I enjoyed the students and the interactions.

Assistant Professor in the College of Arts and Sciences at the U. of Redlands

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsThe students are nice and friendly.

ConsThe salaries are low and the position is extremely time-consuming and demanding. The university has few resources, despite the high tuition, and pressures professors to become overly involved in the personal lives of students to create a false impression that it is a caring institution with a strong commitment to personal attention. Nothing could be less true... This approach exhausts the best professors while creating unsustainable expectations among students.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give departments with more students more resources...

Laid back atmosphere, great co-workers!

Student Athelthic Training Aid (Former Employee) Redlands, CA

Pros-Able to work great hours around my class schedule
    -treated with respect by "managers/boss"
    -someone was always laughing/joking

Cons-Lots of downtime during the off-seasons (especially when football was over)
    -hard to get a pay raise

Very pleasant.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsFlexible hours, nice people and helpful

ConsCan be slow at times

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more to do for workers

logistics

Set Up Crew (Current Employee) Redlands, CA

Prosthe job is very fun.

Consthe job sometimes requires heavy lifting

Think long and hard before you choose to work of them.

IT Department Worker (Current Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsBeautiful and well maintained campus with an interesting history. They do try do keep their computer hardware updated with timely refreshes. The pay is not fantastic but after two years of working at the UoR you and your family can attend for free if you wish to.

ConsIf you have worked out in the real corporate world then you will not be happy working at the UoR. They have a help desk software but do not really make use of it. Watch your back because not everyone who seems friendly actually is.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut everyone on your help desk software and make sure they actually use it! Help desk metrics are a good thing only if you use them. Don't be cheap and buy an electronic time card system if tracking is important. Remote desktop software is a very good thing. Focus more on making sure your customers are happy if at all possible and less on meetings.

Worked for University of Redlands? Contribute to the Community!