University of Richmond

Updated Jun 7, 2014

University of Richmond President Edward L. Ayers

Edward L. Ayers

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work for any position

Boatwright Memorial Library Assistant (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGetting to be outside on a gorgeous campus.
    Easygoing attitudes
    Low work requirements in general
    Many nice people and generally friendly enviroment

ConsLittle overtime available
    Fairly low paying given the wealth of the school and the services rendered
    Fairly low chance of any type of advancement

Low Pay/Lack of Diversity

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe great thing about working here is that you get free tuition. The university has great professors. The work=life balance was good, enabling you to work, go to school at night and still have time for your family

ConsI found that most employees had been there for a very long time. I found this to be a problem because they were not interested in learning new ways of doing things or being open to new ideas. There is a lack of cultural diversity in the workforce and among the student body and I did not find the work to be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ways of doing things and be more welcoming to people from all walks of life; Don't be so quick to judge people.

Love UR but do not pay students well

Tutor Supervisor (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe tutoring is fun and you met the best people. Your "bosses" are great and will help you apply for full-time jobs and help you however they can.

ConsYou start at $8/hour as a tutor and do not get moved up to a "Tutor Supervisor" until you are a senior or grad student.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay double.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The University of Richmond scores a 7 out of 10

Student (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

Pros-Highly Ranked Business School
    -Large network the in the New York and Washington D.C. areas
    -Beautiful Campus
    -D1 sports

Cons-Small feeling (richmond bubble)
    -Limited social options, diminishing greek life scene
    -Bad parking

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your student's as the main stakeholders, not the the teachers, parents or surrounding community.

Nice place to work

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGreat location, intellectually challenging environment

ConsFor me, the lack the full time opportunity and pay

Working at the University of Richmond has significantly benefitted me both personally and professionally.

Associate Director (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe university leadership creates a positive, growing work environment. People who work here are grateful for their careers and feel like they are a part of something greater that is a benefit to the larger community.
    After you master your current position, there are plenty of opportunities to grow laterally by giving back or being creative within the community. I wear many different hats on campus, including my current position, orientation, and even working with student organizations.
    For two years, human resources did a salary review in which the staff salaries were compared with comparable and regional colleges, local businesses, etc., and after the study 49% of staff received some measure of an increase in compensation. If you are full time, and sometimes even part-time, you can earn a good salary with good benefits.
    The community is encouraged to build itself here. We have numerous events throughout the year to bring our division or divisions together to celebrate our successes. People are encouraged to diminish silos and work together to increase campus-wide communication and open engagement. It has led to a great community on campus.

ConsAs with the national trend, after the 2008 recession many of the folks who would normally retire or move up to senior positions have not because of the decrease in their retirement packages. If we sustain continued economic growth, this pattern ought to rectify itself, but currently there is not much vertical opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Supervisor

Supervisor (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsEveryone is really nice and kind!

ConsNot much room for job growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire people who don't do their job.

An amazing place to work and grow.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) University of Richmond, VA

ProsThe culture and environment are both fantastic. The faculty, staff and students are fun and interesting to work with. A lot of opportunities for growth in your personal and professional life. You really have the sense that the university cares about you and your family. There are a lot of extra benefits and events the university does to make you feel welcome and a part of the community. Beautiful campus and access to a lot of free or cheap services.

ConsDepending on your role your compensation may not be competitive with the average pay in Richmond.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe compensation needs to be a little more competitive.

Great opportunity for college students that excel at general chemistry

General Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThis is a part-time job that has good hours, and a lot of support from the Chemistry department. Easy to work in time for studies.

ConsThere is only one other person that holds the position for review sessions so hours are not the most flexible. You should not look in to this job if this does not fit your schedule.

Dean's Office and Center for Civic Engagement are great places to work!

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsFriendly people, flexible hours, As a student employee I can do my homework. All of the full time employees enjoy their jobs and get along well.

ConsThere are no negatives I can think of.

Worked for University of Richmond? Contribute to the Community!