University of Rochester Medical Center

Updated January 27, 2015
3.9

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk
Bradford C. Berk

Pros
  • If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Very friendly co-workers, great benefits, flexibility (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The parking situation is downright awful (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay with one small raise per year(maybe), parking can be expensive, little recognition from top management (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work in the wrong place

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The university of Rochester is an excellent working environment, with good facilities on campus for staff, career development opportunities and access to research facilities. The university also provides housing for staff in the vicinities of campus at affordable prices, which is particularly good for newcomers moving in from abroad.

Cons

Rochester has a good standard of living, however is more of a family-friendly suburban city and doesn't offer a lot for young single people. Opportunities to socialize are very scarce, and the very tough winter weather makes it very hard to live there alone.

Wonderful company to work for that is held with high ethical standards.

Former Employee - Communications Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Communications Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The University of Rochester Medical Center has terrific benefits from the moment you begin employment. It is the biggest employer of Rochester with many job openings.

Cons

It is very hard, almost impossible to obtain a position within another department unless you know someone. I wanted to stay with this company but unfortunately, I could not advance and decided to move on as I was extremely unhappy with my role. After working at this company for a year, I had only received one 2% raise.

If you want top quality work, you need to hire top-notch employees. There was a major problem with absences and employees who came into the office late. Nothing was ever done about this and this set the overall tone for the office.

Study and work in University of Rochester Medical Center

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center

Pros

Great health care, good pay relative to other universities, research is great

Cons

small campus, snow a lot in winter, very small city for future job oppotunities

Leadership

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The current leadership has made extraordinary efforts to ensure that all of the staff in the medical center behave with the highest professional standards. In addition, programs to recognize the efforts of individual staff in this regard have been implemented.

Cons

The weather in the winter in Rochester isn't great. But it is very conducive to wanting to work, since it's usually too cold and windy to want to do much outdoors.

GREAT Place to work.

Current Employee - Communication Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Communication Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I feel like my coworkers are family-including management and leadership. There are great benefits. The ICARE values are a great way to live.

Cons

Parking can be horrible at the medical center. They relocated my office turning my commute from a 25 min drive to 1 hour commute.

A good temporary job

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center

Pros

Great facilities and resources, also many training and education opportunities for employees looking to take the next step, transitioning from temporary work to full time.

Cons

Some departments do not work as well as others, and this can make for poor department-department interactions.

overall reasonable place

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting academic medicine, resources and facilities

Cons

changes in leadership, salary,

Job Security, educational benefit main reason to work here. Low encouragement for career advancement

Current Employee - Information Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time

Pros

educational - pays for classes - 90%

Cons

they won't encourage you to move up in your career, or really encourage you at all. I guess thats up to you. no career progression

Great working environment!

Current Employee - PhD Student in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly, new buildings and growing revenue

Cons

Administrative can be more efficient.

Great organizational culture

Current Employee - Information Analyst II
    Current Employee - Information Analyst II

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for growth

Cons

compensation is not very competitive with area healthcare systems
    Needs more centralization