University of Rochester Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk

Bradford C. Berk

Pros
  • If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits(in 7 reviews)

• If you have a family and want a decent environment to work in, are willing to put up with a lot of "politics" then check this company out(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The parking situation is downright awful(in 3 reviews)

• 5 miles from parking lot), low salary(in 2 reviews)

Lab intern

ProsGreat hospital and people. The facilities are beautiful and run appropriately

ConsSome areas near by are rather dangerous to walk through

Reasonable benefits

Mid Level Provider (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsTeaching institution - a good place to learn, good education benefits.

ConsParking is expensive and far away in some cases.

Not a bad place to work.

Information Analyst II (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsMy job is flexible with the hours, time off, etc. So that is the best part. The benefits are ok - better than most companies in the Rochester area, however, those are being tightened a bit. Employees are now having to pay more toward their health insurance, and more toward tuition benefits than they did 5 years ago. I'm pretty securely employed, so I can't really complain. However, at an institution this large, employee appreciation is minimal.

ConsPoor raises, based on job title. They don't even cover the rising cost of living expenses... or the ever rising parking rates. Salaries are capped. It's very hard to get a job here. I, as well as a couple people I know have applied to countless positions and never hear a word back.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a break from spending millions on building the area, and encourage employees with a bonus. They are your nuts and bolts, not the fancy signs on the front of your buildings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not that great

Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe tuition benefits are good and that is the only reason I stayed here

ConsIf you are not a nurse or a doctor then you are treated like walking scum

Advice to Senior ManagementNone they would take seriously, but figure out what you want to be, a research institute, community hospital or medical school. You can't be everything to everyone.

Frustrating, low pay, false promises, little advancement, impressive research

Analyst/Programmer Senior (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe benefit packages are nice. I have great health insurance. If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits. There are a lot of smart people doing research here. I know of one PI that will receive a Nobel some day. There are a lot of great seminars, presentations, conferences throughout the year.

ConsLower pay than similar jobs elsewhere. Each department/lab is disjoint from the next. Some areas do reviews and raises less frequently than others. I was promised raises and promotions that wouldn't come. Had to get HR involved. Not a lot of team building. Can be a "fend for yourself" environment. I found that the lab I work in brings out the worst in people because of the way it is managed. Not easy to advance and be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good employees. There are some great people working really hard and making amazing strides in science. You will lose those people to better paying jobs. Promote people from within.

Postdoctoral fellow

NIH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe U of R has great core resources for doing big science, if you have the budget to utilize them. The community is very open, accessible, and helpful. The U of R has two types of postdoctoral fellowships, and difference lies in the benefits. With an NIH funded salary line, you get to select healthcare benefits like every staff/professor employee. There is another category that gets benefits that more closely resemble the graduate students.

ConsYou need to have independent funding to be considered for any faculty positions. No one will lead you by the nose, so you need to be your own advocate and make your career happen. Unlike other universities, postdocs are not considered "employees" in terms of benefit perks (UR considers postdocs to be trainees), like discounts for the Eastman community music school or retirement fund matching.

Positive in many ways, however be aware of all around you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearning, experience, location, services, benefits are fantastic for a family.

ConsSalary increases are not competitive with other facilities in the area or region. They are not cognicent of how valuable staff are and feel that they are a number and not individuals. Talk about staff in a bad way to upper level mgmt. and HR.

University of Rochester

Registered Nurse II (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGreat academic environment research facility with incredibly interesting medical research happening. Great people. I work in medicine and on average, the quality of person I work with is above average. Lots of opportunities for learning, growing your knowledge base.

ConsBig disconnect between upper and mid/lower management. Can be challenging to advance. Salaries stink and increases do not keep pace with inflation. Many people leave to "adjust" their salary, only to return at more honest pay. HR insults your intelligence by touting your "total compensation" as a way to make your "pay"seem OK, but in reality it is all smoke and mirrors. Internal departmental moves are often done laterally or for LESS pay, even though the work is more responsibility. There is a very nebulous "salary grade" system in place to attach pay to positions, but the average employee is not privy to what the grades represent. If you are looking internally for a position, you need to ask your direct supervisor for the "salary grades" and what dollar amounts they capture. As I learned , some salary grades are completely out of skew for the positions they represent (ie all the peopl in a particular department make significantly MORE than the grade for the job they are doing).

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the pay situation, you arent fooling anyone. Departments are struggling to hire the right people to do the job simply because they wont work for such little pay. This forces them to hire underqualified applicants. In my time here i have heard dozens of stories about individuals caught in the salary-go-round. MD's threatening to leave, people who cant take an offered position because the hiring department cant pay enough, people leaving the institution to get better pay elsewhere, then returning at the higher pay they originally sought...and sometimes unable to return, even though they'd like because pay is not competitive with the market.

An all-around great experience working here.

Secretary (Current Employee)

ProsVery friendly co-workers, great benefits, flexibility. Most everyone is just out to help one another. Every time I think about moving on, I can't imagine a better place to work right now so here I will stay!

ConsLow pay with one small raise per year(maybe), parking can be expensive, little recognition from top management.

UR is Awesome

ProsEveryone is friendly, great people, highly collaborative.

ConsSome people are hit or miss

Worked for University of Rochester Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!