University of Rochester Medical Center

Updated March 6, 2015
98 reviews filtered by

1. Lab intern

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center

Pros

Great hospital and people. The facilities are beautiful and run appropriately

Cons

Some areas near by are rather dangerous to walk through

2. Postdoctoral Salary

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We good research environment to begin the research career.

Cons

Long term is not good for postdoctoral research positions due to no consideration for promotions here at URMC.

3. Decent Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY

Pros

good work/life balance, decent benefits, flexible

Cons

HORRIBLE pay, no raises, rare promotions

If you pay low salaries because benefits compensate...and then cut benefits, then you need to raise salaries.

Not a bad place to work.

Current Employee - Information Analyst II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Information Analyst II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My job is flexible with the hours, time off, etc. So that is the best part. The benefits are ok - better than most companies in the Rochester area, however, those are being tightened a bit. Employees are now having to pay more toward their health insurance, and more toward tuition benefits than they did 5 years ago. I'm pretty securely employed, so I can't really complain. However, at an institution this large, employee appreciation is minimal.

Cons

Poor raises, based on job title. They don't even cover the rising cost of living expenses... or the ever rising parking rates. Salaries are capped. It's very hard to get a job here. I, as well as a couple people I know have applied to countless positions and never hear a word back.

Take a break from spending millions on building the area, and encourage employees with a bonus. They are your nuts and bolts, not the fancy signs on the front of your buildings.

6. Reasonable benefits

Current Employee - Mid Level Provider in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Mid Level Provider in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teaching institution - a good place to learn, good education benefits.

Cons

Parking is expensive and far away in some cases.

7. Not that great

Current Employee - Medical Technologist II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist II in Rochester, NY

Pros

The tuition benefits are good and that is the only reason I stayed here

Cons

If you are not a nurse or a doctor then you are treated like walking scum

None they would take seriously, but figure out what you want to be, a research institute, community hospital or medical school. You can't be everything to everyone.

Frustrating, low pay, false promises, little advancement, impressive research

Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer Senior in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer Senior in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefit packages are nice. I have great health insurance. If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits. There are a lot of smart people doing research here. I know of one PI that will receive a Nobel some day. There are a lot of great seminars, presentations, conferences throughout the year.

Cons

Lower pay than similar jobs elsewhere. Each department/lab is disjoint from the next. Some areas do reviews and raises less frequently than others. I was promised raises and promotions that wouldn't come. Had to get HR involved. Not a lot of team building. Can be a "fend for yourself" environment. I found that the lab I work in brings out the worst in people because of the way it is managed. Not easy to advance and be promoted.

Reward good employees. There are some great people working really hard and making amazing strides in science. You will lose those people to better paying jobs. Promote people from within.

9. Postdoctoral fellow

Current Employee - NIH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - NIH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The U of R has great core resources for doing big science, if you have the budget to utilize them. The community is very open, accessible, and helpful. The U of R has two types of postdoctoral fellowships, and difference lies in the benefits. With an NIH funded salary line, you get to select healthcare benefits like every staff/professor employee. There is another category that gets benefits that more closely resemble the graduate students.

Cons

You need to have independent funding to be considered for any faculty positions. No one will lead you by the nose, so you need to be your own advocate and make your career happen. Unlike other universities, postdocs are not considered "employees" in terms of benefit perks (UR considers postdocs to be trainees), like discounts for the Eastman community music school or retirement fund matching.

10. Positive in many ways, however be aware of all around you.

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learning, experience, location, services, benefits are fantastic for a family.

Cons

Salary increases are not competitive with other facilities in the area or region. They are not cognicent of how valuable staff are and feel that they are a number and not individuals. Talk about staff in a bad way to upper level mgmt. and HR.

11. University of Rochester

Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great academic environment research facility with incredibly interesting medical research happening. Great people. I work in medicine and on average, the quality of person I work with is above average. Lots of opportunities for learning, growing your knowledge base.

Cons

Big disconnect between upper and mid/lower management. Can be challenging to advance. Salaries stink and increases do not keep pace with inflation. Many people leave to "adjust" their salary, only to return at more honest pay. HR insults your intelligence by touting your "total compensation" as a way to make your "pay"seem OK, but in reality it is all smoke and mirrors. Internal departmental moves are often done laterally or for LESS pay, even though the work is more responsibility. There is a very nebulous "salary grade" system in place to attach pay to positions, but the average employee is not privy to what the grades represent. If you are looking internally for a position, you need to ask your direct supervisor for the "salary grades" and what dollar amounts they capture. As I learned , some salary grades are completely out of skew for the positions they represent (ie all the peopl in a particular department make significantly MORE than the grade for the job they are doing).

Fix the pay situation, you arent fooling anyone. Departments are struggling to hire the right people to do the job simply because they wont work for such little pay. This forces them to hire underqualified applicants. In my time here i have heard dozens of stories about individuals caught in the salary-go-round. MD's threatening to leave, people who cant take an offered position because the hiring department cant pay enough, people leaving the institution to get better pay elsewhere, then returning at the higher pay they originally sought...and sometimes unable to return, even though they'd like because pay is not competitive with the market.