University of Rochester Medical Center

Updated November 22, 2014
3.9

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk
Bradford C. Berk

Pros
  • If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Very friendly co-workers, great benefits, flexibility (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The parking situation is downright awful (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay with one small raise per year(maybe), parking can be expensive, little recognition from top management (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Frustrating, low pay, false promises, little advancement, impressive research

Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer Senior in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer Senior in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefit packages are nice. I have great health insurance. If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits. There are a lot of smart people doing research here. I know of one PI that will receive a Nobel some day. There are a lot of great seminars, presentations, conferences throughout the year.

Cons

Lower pay than similar jobs elsewhere. Each department/lab is disjoint from the next. Some areas do reviews and raises less frequently than others. I was promised raises and promotions that wouldn't come. Had to get HR involved. Not a lot of team building. Can be a "fend for yourself" environment. I found that the lab I work in brings out the worst in people because of the way it is managed. Not easy to advance and be promoted.

Reward good employees. There are some great people working really hard and making amazing strides in science. You will lose those people to better paying jobs. Promote people from within.

Postdoctoral fellow

Current Employee - NIH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - NIH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The U of R has great core resources for doing big science, if you have the budget to utilize them. The community is very open, accessible, and helpful. The U of R has two types of postdoctoral fellowships, and difference lies in the benefits. With an NIH funded salary line, you get to select healthcare benefits like every staff/professor employee. There is another category that gets benefits that more closely resemble the graduate students.

Cons

You need to have independent funding to be considered for any faculty positions. No one will lead you by the nose, so you need to be your own advocate and make your career happen. Unlike other universities, postdocs are not considered "employees" in terms of benefit perks (UR considers postdocs to be trainees), like discounts for the Eastman community music school or retirement fund matching.

Positive in many ways, however be aware of all around you.

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learning, experience, location, services, benefits are fantastic for a family.

Cons

Salary increases are not competitive with other facilities in the area or region. They are not cognicent of how valuable staff are and feel that they are a number and not individuals. Talk about staff in a bad way to upper level mgmt. and HR.

University of Rochester

Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great academic environment research facility with incredibly interesting medical research happening. Great people. I work in medicine and on average, the quality of person I work with is above average. Lots of opportunities for learning, growing your knowledge base.

Cons

Big disconnect between upper and mid/lower management. Can be challenging to advance. Salaries stink and increases do not keep pace with inflation. Many people leave to "adjust" their salary, only to return at more honest pay. HR insults your intelligence by touting your "total compensation" as a way to make your "pay"seem OK, but in reality it is all smoke and mirrors. Internal departmental moves are often done laterally or for LESS pay, even though the work is more responsibility. There is a very nebulous "salary grade" system in place to attach pay to positions, but the average employee is not privy to what the grades represent. If you are looking internally for a position, you need to ask your direct supervisor for the "salary grades" and what dollar amounts they capture. As I learned , some salary grades are completely out of skew for the positions they represent (ie all the peopl in a particular department make significantly MORE than the grade for the job they are doing).

Fix the pay situation, you arent fooling anyone. Departments are struggling to hire the right people to do the job simply because they wont work for such little pay. This forces them to hire underqualified applicants. In my time here i have heard dozens of stories about individuals caught in the salary-go-round. MD's threatening to leave, people who cant take an offered position because the hiring department cant pay enough, people leaving the institution to get better pay elsewhere, then returning at the higher pay they originally sought...and sometimes unable to return, even though they'd like because pay is not competitive with the market.

An all-around great experience working here.

Current Employee - Secretary
    Current Employee - Secretary

Pros

Very friendly co-workers, great benefits, flexibility. Most everyone is just out to help one another. Every time I think about moving on, I can't imagine a better place to work right now so here I will stay!

Cons

Low pay with one small raise per year(maybe), parking can be expensive, little recognition from top management.

UR is Awesome

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center

Pros

Everyone is friendly, great people, highly collaborative.

Cons

Some people are hit or miss

Great Benefits

Current Employee - Informational Analyst I in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Informational Analyst I in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great Tuition benefits, health benefits, and great opportunities for research. There is a lot of support for those who are seeking to learn grant writing skills, or to learn how to implement transitional research.

Cons

Salary is a bit low compared to other locations.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center

Pros

work-life balance is great. time-off policies are also great.

Cons

Location is not ideal; Rochester is cold and snowy.

Great faculty, good residency training

Current Employee - Resident in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Resident in Rochester, NY

Pros

wide range of pathology referred to the Strong system, faculty are great teachers and experts in their field, working with other people who are happy at their job, great benefits

Cons

parking (walk almost 0.5 miles from parking lot), low salary

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Senior, Health Project Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior, Health Project Coordinator in Rochester, NY

Pros

Training and educational opportunities aer good, if you want more education. At some point most prefer more salary if they don't need the educational opportunity.

Cons

Parking on site is a nightmare...and expensive. Pay is lower than elsewhere would be with comparable education. No constency in pay from dept. to dept. for same job titles.