University of Rochester Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk

Bradford C. Berk

Pros
  • If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits (in 7 reviews)

• If you have a family and want a decent environment to work in, are willing to put up with a lot of "politics" then check this company out (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The parking situation is downright awful (in 3 reviews)

• 5 miles from parking lot), low salary (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Prestigious colleagues

ProsEmployees are patient centered, delivering the highest quality of care

ConsNo cons, the expansion of UR Medicine, will continue to advance quality healthcare through regional expansion.

Good place to work

Patient Accounts Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsEmploys most people in Rochester

ConsParking for employees is not free.

Not That Great

Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThey used to have really great tuition benefits and that is the only reason I stayed with the medical center

ConsMiddle managers are complacent and don't care. Most supervisors and managers are promoted not based on ability but based on tenure. Not a great place to work unless you are a nurse or physician. They also are taking away benefits due to the new health care reform.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better incentives to stay with the medical center and create more positions to advance to. Stop treating Physicians and Nurses as if they can do no wrong while placing the blame on others.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a congenial collaborative work environment that fosters networking among scientists with diverse expertise.

Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsMulti disciplinary research favors collaborations among scientists with diverse areas of expertise. Many renowned scientists including several Nobel Laureates are invited for talks each year and the community is exposed to trending areas in science.

ConsInternal funding opportunities for early career scientists are limited. Some departments are not as well managed as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better management of parking would be nice. Also creating internal funding opportunities for international employees would enhance diversity.

Entry level position salary is extremely low and no room for growth.

ProsPeople I work with our great. I work off site so parking is not a problem.

ConsSalary too low. Don't give preference to hiring within. You could could work in same position for 10yrs and still make under $30thousand.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into giving current employees rank on hiring within.

Working in a specific lab is a unique experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy co-workers and neighbors were pleasant, well-informed, helpful people. URMC's Flow Core is well organized and easy to access.

ConsMy PI was way too hands-off.

Flexible, great for students

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsAm able to meet a lot of people and still work in a professional setting, gain a lot of experience, learn a lot and exposed to many things would never have chance to be exposed to in other administrative positions

ConsStress sometimes creates difficult working environment, but nothing that can't be handled

Wonderful and happy place to work. Very caring of their employees on all levels of the totem pole.

Lab Technician II (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGreat benefits, nice people, enthusiastic environment

ConsMoney is tight in research

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain communication with lower level employees

Great work environment with excellent scientist and clinicians.

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe Medical Center is the biggest employer in the area, and offers excellent benefits.

ConsNot so great compensation level.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Learned a lot while working at URMC

Laboratory Technician IV (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsExcellent benefit, including tuition benefits.

Great place to work in research laboratory to gain research skills.

Flexible hours to some degree.

New research facilities are amazing.

Excellent reputation and the largest employer in the Rochester, NY area.

ConsParking can be inconvenient, had to drive pass work to get to parking lot and then take a 5-10 minute shuttle ride to campus.

Not much room to advance without a higher degree, at least in the research realm.

Compared to working in the research industry, compensation is less than normal but compared to other academic research centers, compensation is average.

Worked for University of Rochester Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!