University of Rochester Medical Center

Add Photos

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk

Bradford C. Berk

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great faculty, good residency training

Resident (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Proswide range of pathology referred to the Strong system, faculty are great teachers and experts in their field, working with other people who are happy at their job, great benefits

Consparking (walk almost 0.5 miles from parking lot), low salary

Great opportunity

Senior, Health Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTraining and educational opportunities aer good, if you want more education. At some point most prefer more salary if they don't need the educational opportunity.

ConsParking on site is a nightmare...and expensive. Pay is lower than elsewhere would be with comparable education. No constency in pay from dept. to dept. for same job titles.

Average place to work

Sec IV (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

Prosgreat rapport in the community. Average personal growth potential. Easier to move around within a department. Number one employee in the area

ConsOpportunities depend on who you know. The parking situation is downright awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork and life balance seems to be impossible. Not much support from managers

All in all, a decent place to work

Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic benefits, high variety of jobs in all sorts of fields

ConsLower pay compared to past jobs I've had, extremely hard to get into

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to move up

Great learning environment, tuition benefits, lack of advancement opportunities

Community Liaison (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

ProsSmart co-workers that care immensely about what they do. Opportunity to learn a lot - free scientific presentations on special topics occur regualrly throughout the year. Tuition benefit program is a nice perk.

ConsDifficult to advance. Decisions are required to be sent up the chain - even small ones; slows productivity. Low amount of paid vacation time and typically only seven holidays throughout the whole year.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit and make clear vision, mission, goals, objectives at regular intervals for employees. Confusion over priorities exists in lower management.

Wonderful Experience

Phlebotomist/Clin Tech III (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time for less than a year

ProsAdvanced Clinical Training. Fast Paced Environment.

ConsProbationary Periods. Too Long.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Department fosters confrontational employees, They feel they must Slash and Burn other Empolyees to get ahead. It is highly competitive and sometimes unfairly harsh. I suspect employee churning as a cost cutting scenario. Vacations are by Lottery, You are told the first year to forget about it. This does not foster a Work life balance.

Good place to work

Patient Accounts Employee (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEmploys most people in Rochester

ConsParking for employees is not free.

Not That Great

Medical Technologist II (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

ProsThey used to have really great tuition benefits and that is the only reason I stayed with the medical center

ConsMiddle managers are complacent and don't care. Most supervisors and managers are promoted not based on ability but based on tenure. Not a great place to work unless you are a nurse or physician. They also are taking away benefits due to the new health care reform.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better incentives to stay with the medical center and create more positions to advance to. Stop treating Physicians and Nurses as if they can do no wrong while placing the blame on others.

It is a congenial collaborative work environment that fosters networking among scientists with diverse expertise.

Research Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

ProsMulti disciplinary research favors collaborations among scientists with diverse areas of expertise. Many renowned scientists including several Nobel Laureates are invited for talks each year and the community is exposed to trending areas in science.

ConsInternal funding opportunities for early career scientists are limited. Some departments are not as well managed as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better management of parking would be nice. Also creating internal funding opportunities for international employees would enhance diversity.

Flexible, great for students

Office Assistant (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center part-time for more than 3 years

ProsAm able to meet a lot of people and still work in a professional setting, gain a lot of experience, learn a lot and exposed to many things would never have chance to be exposed to in other administrative positions

ConsStress sometimes creates difficult working environment, but nothing that can't be handled

Worked for University of Rochester Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Rochester Medical Center reviews and ratings in Rochester, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by University of Rochester Medical Center employees.