University of Rochester Medical Center

Updated November 20, 2014
3.8

University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford C. Berk
Bradford C. Berk

Pros
  • If your boss will allow you to take classes, there are some tuition benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Company has good benefits, flexible work arrangements (to a certain degree), generous time off with the ability to roll over (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The parking situation is downright awful (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay with one small raise per year(maybe), parking can be expensive, little recognition from top management (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

67 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

GREAT Place to work.

Current Employee - Communication Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Communication Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel like my coworkers are family-including management and leadership. There are great benefits. The ICARE values are a great way to live.

Cons

Parking can be horrible at the medical center. They relocated my office turning my commute from a 25 min drive to 1 hour commute.

Great working environment!

Current Employee - PhD Student in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly, new buildings and growing revenue

Cons

Administrative can be more efficient.

Job Security, educational benefit main reason to work here. Low encouragement for career advancement

Current Employee - Information Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time

Pros

educational - pays for classes - 90%

Cons

they won't encourage you to move up in your career, or really encourage you at all. I guess thats up to you. no career progression

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great project and lab environment (depends on laboratory and I am lucky).

Cons

No benefits for Postdoctoral fellows. Not great support for postdocs that need to find a job. You are basically on your own.

Give more benefits to postdoctoral fellows, and more support for their next step to find a job.

there for a number of years

Former Employee - Lab Technician III in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Technician III in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

excellent colleagues, great learning resources, great fcilities

Cons

relatively low salaries for non faculty, favoritism!!

please keep older, long term employees in mind. If we are given learning opportunities, you've got us for life!!

As an undergraduate researcher, was pleasured to work with an extremely personable staff in the emergency department

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

One the best reasons to work at the U of R's Medical Center is that the staffing, whether it be within the department you work for or not, is typically willing to assist you with all that they might be able to.

Cons

Challenges experienced in working at the Medical Center was that it is one of the most confusing hospital's I've been in, in terms of navigating through it

Although you might be placed in a more highly regarded position than that of your employees, it might sometimes be of beneficial for you to listen to those less regarded, as everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Great springboard into medical culture

Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company ethos, friendly, good benefits, many jobs to aspire to internally. Supportive culture, education benefits foster advancement. If you know where you want to go in medical, this job can help you get there. Many nursing students, premed students and biology majors begin here. Many lab technologists start as lab techs while studying then transition fairly easily to internal roles.

Cons

Low starting but good relative to cost of living, parking is scarce and expensive. Smaller city but still much to offer relative to size. Harsh winters.

Lab Technician - Depends on PI

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician II in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician II in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester Medical Center

Pros

As a lab tech the work is not difficult but there are a lot of chances to expand your skill set. Flexible hours depending on your supervisor and experiments that are going on.

Cons

Training, leadership possibilities, etc. depends on your lab PI. In my experience if you want more responsibility you have to seek it and learn new techniques to get put on more projects. Again, this depends on your supervisor, but in the lab I worked in it was difficult for technicians to get more responsibility which limited the chances of getting mentioned in published papers. Pay is low but on par for lab techs and definitely depends on individual lab funding.

Include techs on published papers as authors! We do a lot of work!

Postdoctoral Salary

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY

Pros

We good research environment to begin the research career.

Cons

Long term is not good for postdoctoral research positions due to no consideration for promotions here at URMC.

Decent Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY

Pros

good work/life balance, decent benefits, flexible

Cons

HORRIBLE pay, no raises, rare promotions

If you pay low salaries because benefits compensate...and then cut benefits, then you need to raise salaries.