University of Rochester Reviews

Reset
3.7
University of Rochester President Joel Seligman
Joel Seligman

Pros
  • traffic is good at Roc, the city is good, the working place is good, people are nice, not too much to complain (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, but pay is lower than average (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor work ethic, awful parking that you have to pay for (in 8 reviews)

• Employees pay for parking from their substandard salary, and are shuttled in from a distant parking lot (in 3 reviews)

1. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester part-time (More than a year)

Pros

University of Rochester has a lot of student research assistant positions. The experience will definitely help you in your future career.

Cons

As a student, you could only do part-time. The salary is based hourly.

2. Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Low hours, relatively high pay

Cons

Sometimes extra workload to help students

3. Designer/Graphics Coordinator

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, huge community, work for a good cause, proximity to city of Rochester.

Cons

Large company, employees aren't always valued at the level they should be, not progressive socially, wage gaps for women and minorities are atrocious.

Advice to Management

Choose employees based on merit instead of being nepotistic.

5. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great customers, promotes from within, groom and train their employees, some of the best benefits i have ever had, and most of my higher ups get the bigger picture, the hard part is getting the employees to understand and see the bigger picture that is not just an 8 hour gig, you have to be compassionate and maintain a positive attitude daily.

Cons

In a giant organization it is difficult to set yourself apart from the crowd, and most times what makes sense and is logical won't be what we end up having to do, since the university just wants to save face 99% of the time.

Advice to Management

For the most part i am happy at my job, there have been days that i don't agree with what changes have been made, but that's my problem, and i put that aside and keep moving forward and i am excited to see what the future holds.

6. Football Coach

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Great Academic Institution, Nice Campus

Cons

Very Passive Place, Breeds textbook thinkers

7. Staff Accountant

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and vacation time are impressive when first starting out. There is also a lot of flexibility with time off, such as for appointments. The work is rewarding and there are many passionate people I enjoy working with.

Cons

The pay is not comparable to other companies in the area and the parking can be very difficult/expensive. It is best to work here if you take advantage of the tuition benefits, as that can make a huge difference.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to provide more employee morale building activities, showing appreciation for employees going above and beyond, and finding ways to compensate better for the workload.

8. Research Technician

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity for continued education is really great. Definitely a convenient place to work where you can easily access your physician, dentist, pharmacy, bank, post-office, all in one building complex.

Cons

Parking is terrible, the cost and inconvenience of parking is very high. Tickets for not being perfectly within spaces are also annoying. There is not at all enough parking.

Advice to Management

Try to improve the parking situation, possibly by building a new garage, or creating more lots.

9. excellent research enviroment

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for having kids and family

Cons

I dont have cons, I love rochester

10. Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great people Great hours Good benefits Nice working conditions Good management

Cons

Far away from my place Sometimes really quite boring Too quiet, but I guess that these are the downsides of working in a library

Advice to Management

Not much. Easy job, pay was okay. Completely met my expectations nothing more nothing less than what I was expecting.

11. The biggest employer in Rochester

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rochester is a very cultural city with great public suburban schools and cheap housing. Commute for most people is short. These are huge advantages of living in Rochester. I also like my work environment at U of R and people I work with.

Cons

A job market is bad in Rochester. HR of U of R uses this situation for "no promotion" policy. Benefits are also worsened significantly. "Expensive medical care" is an official reason, but U of R is self insured with its own hospital.

Advice to Management

Nothing is more valuable than experienced, hard working, happy employees. Show your appreciation by promotion such people.

RSS Feed </> Embed