University of Rochester

Updated February 23, 2015
3.8

University of Rochester President Joel Seligman
Joel Seligman

Pros
  • traffic is good at Roc, the city is good, the working place is good, people are nice, not too much to complain (in 7 reviews)

• Very good benefits, stable employment once in its easy to transfer to another job within university (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor work ethic, awful parking that you have to pay for (in 8 reviews)

• There are no opportunities for advancement in positions (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

110 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Student Employee

Current Employee - Technical Assistant III in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Assistant III in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester

Pros

Good work environment, not high stress (though it can vary a bit from lab to lab). U of R values it's employees and the well-being. I've heard one labtech complain that the health insurance plans aren't great, but personally I don't see a problem. I can't speak to the benefits, since I don't get any as a student.

Cons

Not the greatest resources, I feel like I've outgrown my position, which is why I'm applying to graduate school.

I gain a lot of communication skills and the ability to cook meals

Former Employee - Chef in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Chef in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester

Pros

The pay was great and you also meet new people while doing so.

Cons

There aren't really any cons, just greedy customers

I enjoyed working there and would recommend a friend

Speaking of LLE, it is a nice place for scientists

Current Employee - Scientist in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Scientist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Support, freedom of interest (depending on your boss), right amount of pressure, friendly community

Cons

Salary, at times the politics can get in the way

Nothing at this time

IT assistant

Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the working environment is good. very nice colleagues.

Cons

weather! it snows for half of the year.

Overall satisfying, although there is room for improvement regarding bureaucracy and some inconsistencies

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great community, and some procedures and processes are regarded very highly. A large emphasis is placed on teamwork, leadership development, staff bonding - and the department invests quite heavily in training and developing positive staff relationships. Pay increases with the cost of college inflation and a small $50 bonus for each returning year.

Cons

Within the department there's a lot of bureaucracy, and some issues get put on the back burner until they become a crisis - or are handled after the issues more or less worked itself out with time, which defeats the purpose of some goals we generally have. There's also a lot of inconsistency across staffs within the department. Pay lacks other schools as only room rent is covered - some areas you end up being paid less because you're assigned a living area, but are then forced to get the largest meal plan and it's near impossible nowadays to appeal for a lower plan.

Great workplace, good food and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at University of Rochester part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of support for the worker in terms of training, people that help you with your work. Lots of freebies, opportunity to advance if there if you have a full time job and the education. Facilities are up to date and its always warm in doors! which means a lot with Rochester weather.

Cons

If you are working as a student, there is little effort to welcome you and really settle you in, lack of effort from employer and student employees. Its a depressing city, seems to have rubbed off onto the employees, a lot of gossip, not much going on. Compensation was well above minimum for students.

Make sure work doesn't overlap with students work too, it can become too much at times.

Life in Rochester

Current Employee - Service Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Service Assistant in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small and close community, high hourly salary especially in Medical Center, UR is the biggest employer in local Rochester area, and it surely provides solid environment for working.

Cons

location and weather may not be your type, plus, the campus is small, the total number of students and faculty is relatively proportional to the campus size, so you can always expect to see familiar face

Benefits are good

good job security, but a lot of baggage

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great retirement and vacation accrual. Good benefits in a very stable environment. All management I have worked with have been supportive and very smart. I have always felt appreciated.

Cons

Not quick to change. A lot of old guard and not a lot of emphasis on creativity. Big projects take forever and setbacks seem more prevelant than in the private sectors I've worked in. Pay is not great compared to the same positions in a for profit. It would be great to see them adopt some workplace trends like telecommuting one day a week and adaptation of more flexible hours.

Hold people accountable and stop accepting mediocre. There's a lot of money wasted in delays.

Not Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay, good healthcare, retirement, and decent educational benefits. Within departments the workplace is wonderful.

Cons

Upward mobility is made very difficult for many because of how HR functions. There often seems to be a mentality of "we've always done it this way" when operating between departments, especially administrative ones.

Great Research Environment

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at University of Rochester full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working here for more than 2 years and the research environment is very great. The school of Engineering and school of Medicine are located across the street, which facilitates the synergy between different research fields and applications.

Cons

The administration is very decentralized, which means each school has its one policy and sometime it is difficult to bring our collaborative efforts together.

Come together with a common policy between campus

University of Rochester Photos