University of San Diego

Be The First To
Add Photos

University of San Diego President and Trustee Mary E. Lyons

Mary E. Lyons

Good location for employee development

Various (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAllows Students to receive and practice job skills
    Opportunity to fast and secure advancements
    Often low stress environments allow for multi-tasking and development of other office skills
    Reliable and efficient supervision and direction
    mission based and driven

Conslow pay
    low hours
    very typical office environment
    strict guidelines and producers limit creativity and freedom at times

CASA Site Coordinator

Site Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt is a great job with tremendous potential. Everyone in the office are wonderful people who are not only determined to help you in the field but also help you succeed as an individual.

ConsNone. Absolutely none. It was a great opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo continue to do the great work that you all are doing. Each day at that office I feel as though I am challenged and able to pursue my own projects with ease knowing that my superiors will back me if I ever need advice.

Oh, Academia!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe benefits here are decent, especially the 401(b) plan. The employee pays a portion of the health insurance, depending on salary. There is a small life insurance policy on each employee and a long term disability insurance plan (pays very little though). The employee can purchase dental and vision insurance.

Some of the people at this Catholic university are caring, decent people. The President seems to be one of them, even though she laid off dozens when she first started.

There is tuition remission.

ConsThe directors, supervisors, and managers for the most part are hired because of the colleges they attended. The others are hired because they know someone. Unfortunately, they don't know how to manage their way out of a wet paper bag. Solely interested in their own paychecks and not whether their staff are happy. I had one supervisor who came to work for about 3 hours a day. (Used to sneak in.) Collected a very big paycheck, but his staff did all the work.

The number of lies I have heard over the years I have worked here would make Pinocchio's nose grow from here to Hong Kong.

The pay is not good for staff employees. When the cost of living goes up, don't expect a raise.

I have heard racist comments from an employee which resulted in the employee being turned in to HR. However, even though the comments continued, HR did nothing about it. Yet, they say they have zero tolerance for racism.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring supervisors based on their alma mater and who their previous employers were, and more on whether they are managerial material. When people leave and consistently say bad things about the same supervisors in exit interviews, fire them. Just don't renew their contracts. Stop worrying about being sued and start considering how many horrible supervisors you have. Shall I name names?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Casual Worker

Casual Worker (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFlexible hours, easy for students to work

ConsKeep it up! Nothing to complain about

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Easy work but difficult manager

ProsNice environment, new people, good supplies

ConsSupervisors are unprofessional and hypocritical

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be genuinely friendly

Decent, but not great. Student employee

ITS (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsITS jobs aren't horrible. Depending upon the job, it might be able to help you later on and could show that you are tech savvy. Pay is above minimum wage.

ConsNot a whole lot of communication between management and the student workers. And all of the regular cons regarding on-campus jobs (low pay, crappy hours, etc). As an example, I have a friend working in ITS and he had to spend an entire day during Finals week to help fix the wireless network (it crashed for whatever reason).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication would be nice.

I've been both a student and employee here and loved every minute

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAll of the employees here are very nice and helpful. I've also had wonderful supervisors who were great at offering guidance and more than willing to put in a good word for me when I was applying to new positions.

ConsThey don't have many staff openings right now which is a bummer as I'd like to work for them again

FWS

ProsI was able to gain valuable experience and job skills.

ConsSome places on campus are not as conscious as they should be about student availability during the semester.

Fantastic Colleagues, Beautiful Campus, Awful Students

Lecturer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe administrative staff are extraordinarily warm, the campus is beautiful, classrooms are well equipped, and a handful of the students are very well motivated.

ConsIt is a party school for rich kids. Many of the students performed at a very low level and were generally uninterested in non-powerpoint teaching techniques.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should change the message that is given to students during recruitment presentations and in recruitment literature. There should be a campaign to shift campus culture toward awareness of the outside world and career achievement.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Institution in transition, not always for the better.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsTeaching and research are both valued.

ConsTeaching continues to be top priority, especially for those who have made their careers there. Lots of resistance to institutional change.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a vision and lead the institution towards it. Do not stick to old models because that's the way things have always been done.

Worked for University of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!