University of San Diego

Overall it was great

Former Employee - Food  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Food in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities and room to grow. I really enjoyed my time here and all the people that worked here. USD really cares about employees and students.

Cons

Hard to jump departments. In order to go up in the chain you need higher education. However over time, you could get both there.

Overall great.

Good location for employee development

Current Employee - Various  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Various in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allows Students to receive and practice job skills
    Opportunity to fast and secure advancements
    Often low stress environments allow for multi-tasking and development of other office skills
    Reliable and efficient supervision and direction
    mission based and driven

Cons

low pay
    low hours
    very typical office environment
    strict guidelines and producers limit creativity and freedom at times

Oh, Academia!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits here are decent, especially the 401(b) plan. The employee pays a portion of the health insurance, depending on salary. There is a small life insurance policy on each employee and a long term disability insurance plan (pays very little though). The employee can purchase dental and vision insurance.

Some of the people at this Catholic university are caring, decent people. The President seems to be one of them, even though she laid off dozens when she first started.

There is tuition remission.

Cons

The directors, supervisors, and managers for the most part are hired because of the colleges they attended. The others are hired because they know someone. Unfortunately, they don't know how to manage their way out of a wet paper bag. Solely interested in their own paychecks and not whether their staff are happy. I had one supervisor who came to work for about 3 hours a day. (Used to sneak in.) Collected a very big paycheck, but his staff did all the work.

The number of lies I have heard over the years I have worked here would make Pinocchio's nose grow from here to Hong Kong.

The pay is not good for staff employees. When the cost of living goes up, don't expect a raise.

I have heard racist comments from an employee which resulted in the employee being turned in to HR. However, even though the comments continued, HR did nothing about it. Yet, they say they have zero tolerance for racism.

Stop hiring supervisors based on their alma mater and who their previous employers were, and more on whether they are managerial material. When people leave and consistently say bad things about the same supervisors in exit interviews, fire them. Just don't renew their contracts. Stop worrying about being sued and start considering how many horrible supervisors you have. Shall I name names?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CASA Site Coordinator

Former Employee - Site Coordinator  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Site Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a great job with tremendous potential. Everyone in the office are wonderful people who are not only determined to help you in the field but also help you succeed as an individual.

Cons

None. Absolutely none. It was a great opportunity.

To continue to do the great work that you all are doing. Each day at that office I feel as though I am challenged and able to pursue my own projects with ease knowing that my superiors will back me if I ever need advice.

Casual Worker

Current Employee - Casual Worker  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Casual Worker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, easy for students to work

Cons

Keep it up! Nothing to complain about

n/a

Easy work but difficult manager

I have been working at University of San Diego part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice environment, new people, good supplies

Cons

Supervisors are unprofessional and hypocritical

Learn how to be genuinely friendly

Decent, but not great. Student employee

Current Employee - ITS  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - ITS in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ITS jobs aren't horrible. Depending upon the job, it might be able to help you later on and could show that you are tech savvy. Pay is above minimum wage.

Cons

Not a whole lot of communication between management and the student workers. And all of the regular cons regarding on-campus jobs (low pay, crappy hours, etc). As an example, I have a friend working in ITS and he had to spend an entire day during Finals week to help fix the wireless network (it crashed for whatever reason).

More communication would be nice.

I've been both a student and employee here and loved every minute

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego part-time for more than a year

Pros

All of the employees here are very nice and helpful. I've also had wonderful supervisors who were great at offering guidance and more than willing to put in a good word for me when I was applying to new positions.

Cons

They don't have many staff openings right now which is a bummer as I'd like to work for them again

FWS

I have been working at University of San Diego

Pros

I was able to gain valuable experience and job skills.

Cons

Some places on campus are not as conscious as they should be about student availability during the semester.

Fantastic Colleagues, Beautiful Campus, Awful Students

Former Employee - Lecturer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego part-time for more than a year

Pros

The administrative staff are extraordinarily warm, the campus is beautiful, classrooms are well equipped, and a handful of the students are very well motivated.

Cons

It is a party school for rich kids. Many of the students performed at a very low level and were generally uninterested in non-powerpoint teaching techniques.

You should change the message that is given to students during recruitment presentations and in recruitment literature. There should be a campaign to shift campus culture toward awareness of the outside world and career achievement.

Worked for University of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!