University of San Diego

Updated January 6, 2015
3.5

University of San Diego President and Trustee Mary E. Lyons
Mary E. Lyons

Pros
  • Fun, beautiful campus, happy employees, diverse group of people, variety of objectives to keep things interesting (in 7 reviews)

• Tuition remission (for non-impacted programs) after one year (i (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, movement, or promotions (in 3 reviews)

• Too much work, Not much growth opportunities (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous

I worked at University of San Diego

Pros

The work environment was really inviting and the culture was fun and exciting. There was always work to be done which made the work day go by quickly.

Cons

I would say that the only con would be that there really wasn't much room for growth.

Unacceptable Work Environment

I worked at University of San Diego full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty flowers, trees and overall landscape.

Cons

No respect for employees. Toxic work environment. No quantifiable measurement of goals. No vision or strategic direction by management. Technical and Managerial Incompetence at all levels. Excessive favoritism and cronyism.

Wonderful years until a change of leadership.

Former Employee - Program Assistant
    Former Employee - Program Assistant

I worked at University of San Diego

Pros

Great benefits but they are chipping away at those.

Cons

USD was a great place to work for many years but has changed greatly with change of leadership. The last straw was when my department had a change in leadership. Changes were expected but it has become a hostile environment. You are micro-managed and there is no trust or respect. It has become a revolving door with so many people leaving. HR has been informed by many people but has done nothing. They are not there to support the employees. It is sad to see this place become so toxic.

Take the blinders off and pay attention to what is going on and try to improve the conditions for the employees who have to stay.

New organizational structure is bad! C-suite not focused on what's best for staff or patients.

I have been working at University of San Diego

Pros

Great staff, beautiful facilities.

Cons

Executive team just doesn't get it. New CEO Bob Hemker is bad news. No respect for nursing.

You need strong nursing leaders to keep nursing' voice strong to continue to deliver safe patient care. Magnet is what you need to be focused on! Moving nursing down on the org chart was a mistake. Fix your error before patients suffer.

Great Place to Start A Career

Former Employee - Network Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at USD, it was a great place to come in and learn the fundamentals of my career field (computer networking). The environment was relaxed and positive, and I got to work with some really great people. Benefits were fantastic, including a 12% retirement contribution and fantastic health plans with no annual deductible and coinsurance along with very maximum out of pocket expenses. Exempt employees started with 24 days vacation out of the gate.

Cons

On the other hand, compensation in the form of salary was very low, though this is typical of universities. Those of us in network and infrastructure support were paid less than our peers in other IT groups (especially the Enterprise applications team). Projects at times were very slow to get implemented, and at times the environment was possible too laid back. IT budget seemed to be shrinking each and every year, as professional development opportunities kept shrinking each year.

Management for the most part was great. Only advice is to provide more opportunities for career growth and professional development as a counterbalance to the low salaries.

Tutor: Great gig during college

I worked at University of San Diego

Pros

Tutoring for the math department was a great way to earn a bit of cash during the evenings. When we didn't have students, the tutors were able to do their own work. Also, tutoring was a great way to stay fresh on the basics from earlier classes.

Cons

The pay wasn't great and it was hard to get more than 10 or 15 hours a week. You could definitely make more money as a private tutor, but this didn't require any scheduling with individual students.

No comment

Great Faculty

I worked at University of San Diego

Pros

I was a nurse practitioner student here, and really enjoyed the faculty. They work in clinical practice along with teaching the curriculum, so they are up to date on the most current NP practice.

Cons

Th pharmacology course was weak.

Great place to work.

I worked at University of San Diego part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The university is like a small village. I felt a strong sense of community while employed and made life long friends during my time working there.

Cons

The Catholic values were, at times, contrary to my personal values. It is a Catholic institution so this is not a fault, necessarily, just something to consider before choosing to work there. Maybe this has changed since the latest pope?

I don't have any advice to give. Especially after having been gone for so many years.

Loved it

Current Employee - Resident Advisor/Mentor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor/Mentor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Really good sense of community. There is something always something to do around campus and people are really welcoming

Cons

long training- for an RA position we do at least 4 weeks of training throughout the entire year, and if you want to be an RA again you go through it again

Quick Engagement with a Bonus

Former Employee - Note Taker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Note Taker in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being a note taker pushes you to pay more attention in class, and then, there is the added bonus of payment at the end of the semester.

Cons

The paycheck does take some time to arrive.