University of South Alabama Reviews

V. Gordon Moulton

1. Great Experience

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Mobile, AL

I have been working at University of South Alabama part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience within the department you are working and getting experience with reporting to PhD's, free tuition, excellent pay, great job while in school

Cons

Would have liked a bit more responsibility, professors can often be quite vague of what it is they want from you and I often found myself questioning whether I was doing enough or not

Keep the GA program around, provides great opportunities for young students looking to further their education

2. Gain experience

I have been working at University of South Alabama part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is usually easy and you end up with a lot of experience and portfolio material.

Cons

The pay is low, but that's not why you get this job. Sometimes you have to work late on Sunday before publication.

Thanks for keeping it "student media"

3. Fun and exciting place to be

Current Employee - Staff in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Staff in Mobile, AL

I have been working at University of South Alabama part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun and exciting place to be

Cons

Starting pay could be better

You are doing a great job

5. Great Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I worked at University of South Alabama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and lots of opportunities for promotions within your department or even with outside departments at South Alabama.

Cons

Can be political at times. The pay isn't as high as private companies.

None

6. Part Time Student Worker, last year was 2010.

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Mobile, AL

I worked at University of South Alabama

Pros

Great bosses, good pay, great experience

Cons

Could be a little boring, but that was the nature of the work, not the fault of USA.

Keep on doing what you're doing, it's great for students.

7. My experience with this company was very complex and stressful.

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Mobile, AL

I worked at University of South Alabama full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employee benefits package, and large network of primary and specialty physicians to choose from.

Cons

the number of physicians to work with in the specialty clinic on the same schedule

assign each physician his own assistant per schedule in order to improve patient care and physician time.

8. A positive educational experience.

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Mobile, AL

I have been working at University of South Alabama full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The intensity and level of care at this trauma hospital gives me experiences not found at smaller or private facilities. Even staffing problems can strengthen clinical skills by focusing ones energy on patients.

Cons

Staffing is an ongoing issue as it is everywhere in healthcare, and budgetary constraints often demand that we do more with less.

Recruit and involve front-line staff to be an active part of performance improvement initiatives, both in terms of coming up with creative solutions for, and being sources of inspiration to their peers and patients.

9. Administration can be frustrating, but generally a decent place to work

I have been working at University of South Alabama

Pros

Great benefits. Nice people. Great city.

Cons

Administration can be frustrating. Difficult to get things done at times.

10. Need for Diversity in Administrators and Managerial Staff

Current Employee - Web Programmer in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Web Programmer in Mobile, AL

Pros

Great environment for teaching and learning. The company culture varies department by department but most of the faculty and staff are friendly and easy to work with. The retirement system and benefits are awesome. Paid administrative leave is awesome. Tuition Reimbursement.

Cons

Terrible pay for job performed. Raises and promotions are hard to come by. performance reviews given yearly but administered more like a coporate entitiy instead of a state institution. Reviews are not a good overlook of overall job performance. Very political enviroment where a lot of times you are promoted based on who you know not what you know. Work enviroment is so relaxed employees can easily become complacent.

Diversify your management, consider paying your employees based on industry standards. Promote based on job performance and give work evaluations that will help employees be better employees for the university.

11. Don't waste your time,education or skills

Former Employee - Nurse in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Nurse in Mobile, AL

I worked at University of South Alabama full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is not any pros to working there. I have witness nurse managers setting up their staff nurses for failure.

Cons

Terrible pay. If you party with the nurse manager you get promoted with just an associates degree RN. it doesn't matter your education or years experience. There are nurse managers there with questionable character outside of work. Therefore she more than likely has a questionable work character. Administration and nurse managers protect certain nurses from being drug tested. Why?
    Promotion is not consistent with appropriate degree for the position. When there is a position open, the job requirements are written for the certain person to be hired. One time this position required a BSN next time it only required an ADN. It was a mid management position. They only enforce policy on certain employees. It does not do any good to go to Human Resources. You then get retaliated against.

All 3 hospital Administrators and certain nurse managers need to be fired. The hospital needs to be ran like a business it order for it to make money. The administrators and nurse managers are in it for theirselves and their good ole girls and boys. Administration and management received a pay raise and the people that did the actual patient care and support people got nothing. They took our benefits from us-separate sick leave, vacation,holidays, personal days-converting it to PTO. The staff that had been there many years lost earned time off. That is what kept us there even though there was not a pay raise for 7+ years.