University of South Florida

Updated September 19, 2014
3.8

University of South Florida President Judy L. Genshaft
Judy L. Genshaft

Pros
  • Laid back work environment with colleagues that are happy to collaborate (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, a lot of time off (holidays, vacation, sick time), flexible, nice people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay might be lower than private corps, Job security amidst budget cuts (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management makes a lot of promises and does not always keep them (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location, research facilities, reputation as a growing university

Cons

Current ranking is still poor.

The University of South Florida is a place of great potential, rich with brilliant faculty and talented staff.

Current Employee - Research Administrator  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The campus is beautiful, and there are so many cultural venues and scholarly events.

Cons

Like most large urban universities, parking is a challenge. USF strives to be increasingly pedestrian friendly.

Remember to recognize and reward your talented instructors, adjuncts and visiting faculty ... they will take their praise for USF with them as they continue their academic journey.

language instructor

I worked at University of South Florida

Pros

you gain experience, especially if starting out with none

Cons

bad management, professors only care about themselves

get your act together

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Money is not great; No scheduled raises; Hr does not work toward resolution on staff employees behalf

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great benefits; if you want to go to school that is available and you pay for fees, books, but not the class itself.

Cons

MONEY, our department does not have money (for certain people), they can come up with money for bonuses for special employees, but the ones who just do their job, in the best way they can, can and do get overlooked. Not enough money, not enough employees to do the job. Everyone is expected to take on additional work to fill in for the missing employees.

Also, HR does not work for the employee; always keep in mind that if they are employed by USF, they are paid by USF and therefore have USF's best interests in mind. HR does not seem "to hear" what the staff employee is saying, they go to the supervisor and take their side completely. Even if there are inconsistencies in the story, they are not checked out. In my case, I gave my supervisor and the HR rep emails proving dates and conversations. Obviously they did not read it or did not care.

Department heads, do not take employee staff into consideration or pay as much attention to them as their direct reports. It's sad that they do not investigate or listen to others regarding the inner workings of the office. They have too much work to do and staff fall through the cracks. My direct supervisor, has never had supervisor training, therefore I did not get a bonus of 1,000, because of her inadequacies in supervising. She told a few different stories about why I did not receive an evaluation, dates were wrong; I even had emails backing up my comments, we were in process of doing review. She did not follow mine through, therefore I did not get a bonus, her other staff's reviews went through fine, however she did not follow mine through the process and I lost out. Eventually told HR, we were so busy, it fell through the cracks. How can they say that when it was not true, she used the wrong DATES as an excuse. My supervisor did not speak to me for two months because she was "mad" at me! Someone needs some training... Not all are like this I am sure, however mine was and these are MY feelings, not necessarily the other staff through the campus gets put in these situations. It is sad that no one looks clearly at some of the supervisors and their supervisory methods or lack of. Not only does she need supervisory training, she needs training in professional behavior, no screaming out of your office, no berating or interrogating your staff at their desk in front of others. If they do not like you, they do what every they want to you and there is no repercussion, HR takes their side. HR specifically said to me, "if you knew she was mad at you, why didn't you go in and ask why"? I actually asked many times, she never gave me an answer but somewhere in there you would think that a supervisor has the responsibility to notify their staff that something is wrong. Not enough staff to do heavy jobs, I had to move items for over an hour and hurt my back doing it, had to spend the next day laying down all day. No apology from supervisor, but the next day, the other admins in the office were wheeling boxes around on chairs, no more moving (?) hmmm too bad that policy was not in effect prior to my situation. My department HR person had to file a workers comp report on me due to my back. I did not take advantage of the situation and paid for doctor bills myself, never made any claims on the workers comp report.

Great benefits but likes to hire its own graduates too often

I worked at University of South Florida

Pros

Good health insurance benefits, retirement contributions, and paid leave

Cons

Lack of communication among departments
    Very top-down in terms of how the university operates (admin typically makes decisions seemingly without much consideration for how employees and depts will be affected)
    Little room for upward mobility
    Like to hire their own graduates, making it difficult to enter as an employee with same consideration/chances of hire

Nothing to make a career out of

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits and I had an awesome boss

Cons

No room for advancement, low hourly wages, no incentive

Give your employees something to work toward.

Improve your well-being by teaching.

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida part-time for more than a year

Pros

I lost 30 pounds, lost gray hair, and grew back my regular color while mentoring aspiring engineers and walking all over campus. Your client (students) are usually thankful for your service compared to clients in the professional industry.

Cons

Low but excellent pay for a graduate student. Very difficult to succeed if you do not have a scholarship or fellowship.

Teaching Assistants are told they get a tuition waiver, but in reality, it is about a 75% tuition waiver. I would prefer lower pay with a full tuition waiver.

Excellent place to work ...

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's fastest growing university with lots of research going on...

Cons

I don't have any to comment here.... views will be different from person to person and it depends on the Job you are working on.

Great organization to work for if you love education

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at University of South Florida full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The insurance benefits and paid time off cannot be beat. Employees love working for the University because of the work/life balance. There are a ton of free learning resources if you want to develop yourself. There are many open positions available in a variety of departments.

Cons

It is sometimes hard to figure out who to contact about what, especially for HR; there are always positions available but the pay for many of them is not competitive at all. Some of the advertised salaries are surprisingly low. I can't think of too many bad things about working for the University though.

Make the pay more competitive for management and director positions.

Great student employment, but not a career prospect

I worked at University of South Florida part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent and relaxed work environment, excellent pay for a student position.

Cons

Being a large state-run school, things often slow down in a way they likely wouldn't in a fast-paced business setting, and can become frustrating if you wish to have projects completed in a timely manner.

More accountability, less bureaucracy

Worked for University of South Florida? Contribute to the Community!