University of South Florida

Updated October 16, 2014
3.8

University of South Florida President Judy L. Genshaft
Judy L. Genshaft

Pros
  • Excellent and relaxed work environment, excellent pay for a student position (in 15 reviews)

• Employees love working for the University because of the work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Volatile economic situation with annual budget cuts past several years (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management makes a lot of promises and does not always keep them (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

This was a respectable and hospitable place to work.

I worked at University of South Florida as a contractor

Pros

The mission of the College helped local and International people.

Cons

There were some challenges with understanding the tangible jobs with the degree.

good people to work with

I worked at University of South Florida full-time

Pros

great campus, wonderful people.

Cons

Overall economy in FL cut the university's budget short, but I guess that's everywhere in the U.S.

Research administration for the knowledge economy

Current Employee - Research Administrator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

USF is a metropolitan-based research-intensive university founded in 1956 on the central west coast of Florida and in the short period of a little over half a century has grown to be one of the largest universities in the country (with more than 48,000 students) and one of the most active in research. The university has a yearly budget of $1.5 billion and an annual impact on the regional economy of $4.4 billion. USF is one of the nation's top 40 public research universities and one of Florida's top four research universities, awarded more than $413.6 million in research contracts and grants during the 2013 fiscal year. The University takes special pride in its emergence as a research university that is also committed to serving the community in which it lives. Both characteristics are recognized in USF’s rating by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching (Carnegie Foundation 2013) as a “very high research activity,” community-engaged university.

Cons

Public universities have been hurting with deep cuts from the state. Some chose to cut programs, layoff staff -- but not at USF. Here, the decision was to cut back, increase efficiencies, stretch existing resources. But now, there is a need to improve the ways we support the research infrastructure. Most dire is the need to invest in equipment acquisition and maintenance for our research active faculty. This can be partially achieved by devoting additional resources to instrumentation infrastructure, working with other university entities to solve the start-up problem, and support our core facilities.

Strategically invest in the areas of strength and promise, the faculty that drive the student success and research mission. Improvements in the way we grow our faculty strength and research infrastructure will have impact throughout the USF-System for generations to come.

Independent

Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a tutor for the Disabilities Office. I was given no training or management just the student's information. The students were happy for the assistance but there was a large learning curve as to how to tutor for individualized learning disabilities.

Cons

This became a volunteer position after I left.

Teach tutoring skills in a workshop or have some type of training on learning disorders.

Good place to work for

Current Employee - Program Administrator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Program Administrator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of South Florida full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, working hours, and flexibility

Cons

Not much room to grow

Would be better with the 'old guard' out

Former Employee - Fiscal & Business Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Fiscal & Business Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of South Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Up to 6 credit hours per semester free, low cost health benefits, normal working hours, on-campus transportation via BullRunner bus route, plenty of options for eating on campus, very cool atmosphere

Cons

Base pay is not commensurate with experience or market rates, no raises, must pay for parking, and parking spaces are limited. The older generation of employees are incompetent and keeping more qualified assets from taking this organization to the next level.

Pay attention to all of the younger employees with education and experience that are leaving this organization because of all the low and mid-level management with their GEDs and high school diplomas are driving them away with idiocy. The problem starts with main HR for allowing the rewrite of position descriptions for individuals lacking the requisite bachelors or graduate degrees in Administration positions because they only have an associates or high school diploma. This is a higher education institution making exceptions to educational requirements for the people charged with running the university.

Good place

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Tampa, FL

Pros

Location, research facilities, reputation as a growing university

Cons

Current ranking is still poor.

Administrative Specialist

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Lakeland, FL

I worked at University of South Florida full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The university will pay two classes per semester if you wish to complete your degree.

Cons

low pay, no bonus, difficult to receive promotions.

language instructor

I worked at University of South Florida

Pros

you gain experience, especially if starting out with none

Cons

bad management, professors only care about themselves

get your act together

Money is not great; No scheduled raises; Hr does not work toward resolution on staff employees behalf

Current Employee - Administrative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great benefits; if you want to go to school that is available and you pay for fees, books, but not the class itself.

Cons

MONEY, our department does not have money (for certain people), they can come up with money for bonuses for special employees, but the ones who just do their job, in the best way they can, can and do get overlooked. Not enough money, not enough employees to do the job. Everyone is expected to take on additional work to fill in for the missing employees.

Also, HR does not work for the employee; always keep in mind that if they are employed by USF, they are paid by USF and therefore have USF's best interests in mind. HR does not seem "to hear" what the staff employee is saying, they go to the supervisor and take their side completely. Even if there are inconsistencies in the story, they are not checked out. In my case, I gave my supervisor and the HR rep emails proving dates and conversations. Obviously they did not read it or did not care.

Department heads, do not take employee staff into consideration or pay as much attention to them as their direct reports. It's sad that they do not investigate or listen to others regarding the inner workings of the office. They have too much work to do and staff fall through the cracks. My direct supervisor, has never had supervisor training, therefore I did not get a bonus of 1,000, because of her inadequacies in supervising. She told a few different stories about why I did not receive an evaluation, dates were wrong; I even had emails backing up my comments, we were in process of doing review. She did not follow mine through, therefore I did not get a bonus, her other staff's reviews went through fine, however she did not follow mine through the process and I lost out. Eventually told HR, we were so busy, it fell through the cracks. How can they say that when it was not true, she used the wrong DATES as an excuse. My supervisor did not speak to me for two months because she was "mad" at me! Someone needs some training... Not all are like this I am sure, however mine was and these are MY feelings, not necessarily the other staff through the campus gets put in these situations. It is sad that no one looks clearly at some of the supervisors and their supervisory methods or lack of. Not only does she need supervisory training, she needs training in professional behavior, no screaming out of your office, no berating or interrogating your staff at their desk in front of others. If they do not like you, they do what every they want to you and there is no repercussion, HR takes their side. HR specifically said to me, "if you knew she was mad at you, why didn't you go in and ask why"? I actually asked many times, she never gave me an answer but somewhere in there you would think that a supervisor has the responsibility to notify their staff that something is wrong. Not enough staff to do heavy jobs, I had to move items for over an hour and hurt my back doing it, had to spend the next day laying down all day. No apology from supervisor, but the next day, the other admins in the office were wheeling boxes around on chairs, no more moving (?) hmmm too bad that policy was not in effect prior to my situation. My department HR person had to file a workers comp report on me due to my back. I did not take advantage of the situation and paid for doctor bills myself, never made any claims on the workers comp report.

University of South Florida Photos