University of Southern California

University of Southern California Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

University of Southern California President C. L. Max Nikias

C. L. Max Nikias

Pros:
  • "Great benefits include tuition remission and doubling of 403(b) contributions (i"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Good work environment, easy to work with staff members,"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "It is not very safe for students to live around the campus"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Being a student worker, the job significance is not that obvious"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Low Wages, good benefits, At-Will employment means you can be let go anytime

Staff Member (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsCollege environment, fun smart students. Interesting events if you want to stay after work. Football team, the usc brand gives legitimacy to you.

ConsLow, low wages for most employees. Parking is expensive. Neighborhood is very sketchy. Little room for personal growth. Run like a corporation. Leadership more interested in raising money and building facilities than serving students and appreciating staff. Politics are extreme. More so than any of the 4 corporations I have worked for. Reviews on this site from mostly student workers that are happy to have any job. Take with a grain of salt. I have worked at usc for ten years and desperately want out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat Staff as if they were important to you and as an extended member of the family.

Poor handling of lower employees and techs,work overload,USC is more worried about lawsuits than being professional

Lab Technician (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Prosfree food, no matter which department.

Conslots of labor work, unregulated work environment, the policy is there is no policy (unless your boss creates one that is subjective)..one dept has time sheets , one is let loose, too much trojan fight on nonsense. No safety especially not with computers..flimsy software.i foresee a possible hacking breach happening and everyone will be unsurprisingly blindsided.

Advice to Senior ManagementREGULATE some laws that everyone can follow and STICK TO IT.

Horrible, Horrible Experience...Stay Away from USC Keck School of Medicine

Project Specialist (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsI hear the UPC or main campus is much better, try that campus and stay away from HSC/Keck School of Medicine at all cost.

ConsI was lied to about my salary, job duties, and everything possibly imaginable about my job. The last several years was a nightmare, as whole departments were leaving and people are either quitting, leaving or getting laid off. I was laid off of my job and told that I would be able to recover the loss of salary with another position. That never happened. I provided my boss with excellent service & loyalty and never once got any type of raise or any type of support when I was laid off. On top of that, I was grossly underpaid for my level of education, barely able to make it off of my salary, then laid off with nothing and no support. Beware of grant funded positions because there is no severance package when you're laid off. They just tell you within 30 days you have to leave. Working at USC has been the worse career mistake I ever made. I wished everyday I was there that I never took that job. I was recruited for my job and filled with nothing but false truths by boss, and I'm sorry I didn't do the proper employer/organization research prior to taking that job. I was stuck working in a capacity that I was never trained for and doing work that wasn't remotely close to my educational background. It was insulting and I had to endure it for years. Departments are fragmented and disjointed, so its impossible to get assistance with anything or find resources and people to help you do your job. I worked in academia for years at public schools and I never knew how good I had it there. USC operates dysfunctionally and I'm really surprised the institution has not been shut down.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the grant funded positions, pay your employees out of stable funds, and have better safeguards for your employees. Its a huge problem retaining good people at USC HSC, so who's really the problem? Management. There are no unions to protect the employees and there are absolutely no policies in place for employee/employer protection. This is real problem. The HR dept. for Keck School of Medicine are no help and abusive to employees trying to get assistance. HSC you need to find out why the UPC side of USC operates more efficiently and why employees are happier and have longevity with their careers. Also, increase the wages to make it livable for employees. Advertising a Project Manager position for $15/hr with no severance package, expensive benefits and no promise of job security for someone with a Masters in Science degree is insulting. Also, the professional development is non-existent and if you are going to pay low wages along with no severance package, then provide some worthwhile professional development and training, so when you do lay off people, they have the skills and knowledge to quickly get a new position in this difficult job market.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst job Ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing great about working here.

ConsYou are not paid for the type of education or experience that you bring to your job. The current employees think they know everything, but really have no idea what is happening or how to teach. If you continue to work there, it is because of the USC name. Management is paid much more than non-management.

Shitheap

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsSunshine is all year round, which is really nice. Otherwise it's got lots of nice fountains. The university prefers to invest in fountains and 'restaurants' for the students than their people.

ConsEverything else about the university is unadulterated crap. The faculty are largely irrelevant in the research community, or were briefly associated with decent professors and rode on their coat-tails. The students are walking zombie-morons with little to zero initiative and learning ability. TERRIBLE!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some intelligent faculty and postdocs. Ditch the rich kids and get in smart ones instead. Quit spending money improving the campus and pay your staff more money and give them decent holiday amounts. 3 full weeks whenever per full-time staff member paid isn't asking for much.

Great school but doesn't pay well.

Student Services Advisor (Financial Aid/Admission) (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsPretty campus. Great staff. Room for growth. Pays for your education.

ConsThe new director of financial aid sexually harasses people and is extremely arrogant, condescending, sarcastic and ill advised micromanaging maniac. Extremely high turn over. Low morale. Management does not place any value on talent retention. The micromanaging drives great talented and educated people away. New hires catch wind of it quickly and immediately start looking for new jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the job before you ride someone's back for doing theirs way better than you ever will.

Joke science, joke students, terrible administration

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsNice weather but that's about it.

ConsThe students are low calibre and largely just rich kids at university because it's what you do, not here to learn and get ahead.
    Terrible department structures and pay.
    Little to no management.
    Awful research environment as there is little equipment and the University is poorly funded for life sciences research.
    Feel like we can't make a difference and postdocs are treated like students.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some better Asst. Profs. Really low impact staff. Some can't even speak English properly.

Great titles, low pay (not worth it)

Student Advisor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Prosnice environment to be on campus

Consmicromanagement at the highest level possible

Advice to Senior Managementpeople are adults so let them work without being burdened.

Worst experience in my career. Political, biased, unfair, with little regard to employee moral.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe benefits package is great. They just raised the medical rates by over 50% though, so not as appealing anymore.

ConsEasily the worst experience on my professional career. Very unprofessional environment. My first red flag that I should have considered was the interview process. When I was screened, I was told that the salary was wide open, depending on experience. I let them know that I was making a salary in the mid 60k's. When I received a call to be offered the position, I was told "we only have $45,00 budgeted for this position, so what's the least you'll take?" I was working a temp job and needed benefits, so I accepted 5k less than what I was making as a temp. This was definitely a sign of worse things to come.

There is absolutely no regard for employee moral. No positive feedback is ever given, and there is no employee handbook or firm departmental policies in place, so standards change on the whim of the managers feeling that day. I was forced to miss my university orientation and benefits orientation, which means that I had to sign up for my benefits without knowing what my options were. Managers play favorites, make exceptions for some and not others, and create a hostile environment by pitting employees against other employees less tenured.

There is also no desire by management to embrace new ideas or best practices. Thinking outside the box is not encouraged, and being proactive is something that is not given any value. I told my manager that I would like to work toward being more proactive instead of reactive, and her response was "Ive been here for 4 years, and it's always been like this, and it will never change."

Don't be fooled by the name; USC is a great educational institution, but a HORRIBLE place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 21st century. Don't operate like a 2nd rate staffing agency. Have integrity, and place value on employee morale. Also communicate to employees consistently and transparently. No secrets and talking behind people's backs.

Horrible.... don't EVER work there... RUN

Proslots of days off & vacation

ConsBureaucratic. Lack of employee growth and support. Staff holds Jealousy/resentment towards students. Don’t believe the hype. Not a happy place to be.

Worked for University of Southern California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Southern California reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Southern California CEO C. L. Max Nikias. All 519 reviews posted anonymously by University of Southern California employees.