University of Southern California

Updated December 17, 2014
4.2

University of Southern California President C. L. Max Nikias
C. L. Max Nikias

Pros
  • An effort is made by the administration to foster a real work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits include tuition remission and doubling of 403(b) contributions (i (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • But the good news is that USC has already been working on the safety issue around the campus (in 14 reviews)

• There is cumbersome bureaucracy and red tape that you would not expect at a private institution (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Student Worker

Current Employee - Office Receptionist and Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Receptionist and Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great way to stay in touch with major, fellow students, opportunities. Staff all very friendly. Can work on homework in downtime.

Cons

Copying can be boring, and mailing things internationally can be confusing.

Job is good. Only wish they'd pay their students on time every time.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A very satisfying job as a student researcher. I got an opportunity to work on some of the latest technologies relating to battery charging for electric vehicles. My mentor was very understanding and inspired me to go beyond what I thought were my capabilities to innovate.

Cons

I did not have a very good experience with the pay roll department. The job was very satisfying but the payroll staff is very arrogant and they made me work so hard just to get my hard earned money. I was really strapped for cash and they wouldn't just hurry up my paperwork.

Someone please talk to the guys at payroll and tell them to stop being so arrogant. At least be a little courteous.

USC Rising

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

career opportunities, good networking especially if intend to stay in CA. Also the place has a lot of diversity--u can benefit from it both as a person and career wise.

Cons

high academic performance required, or else you may be even fired.
    Location is not good--avoid walking around his area that is not patrolled by campus police.

Safety needs to improve--consider deploying more DPS

On whole, on the plus.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, beautiful campus. Great potential.

Cons

Academia = slow adaptation to new concepts. This is the rule, not an exception to it. Additionally, this is a very hierarchical environment and does not appreciate ideas (no matter how good) from subordinates. Typically lower salary for mid and lower level administrative positions.

Avoid group-think and invite and consider perspectives throughout the organization, not just at your level.

Self-Initiative is Key

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Love the campus. Been a grad student for only a few months and have been working as a lab assistant. Even more than when I was a lab assistant at other schools, this position is very independent and takes a lot of self-initiative. To me this is a pro because USC is teaching you how to be disciplined and put your own effort in. No hand holding here.

Cons

Trojan time, the way you submit your hours, took a little while to set up, but other than that no real complaints yet. Also, just need to be safe when leaving at night - there have been numerous reports of robberies or attempted robberies in just the few weeks I have been here.

A bit more feedback now and then might be nice.

Student Worker in Student Affairs Department

Former Employee - Student Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture within the Student Affairs department was very positive and encouraging. Staff is very understanding when it comes to flexibility in scheduling students' hours.

Cons

There were absolutely no cons related to this position while in this role, but the department faced major personnel changes since working there.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent health and education benefits for employee, spouse, and children. Comfortable campus environment.

Cons

Pay is lower in academia in general than in comparable jobs in either the public or private sector. Downtown Los Angeles location can be difficult in terms of accessibility and surrounding crime. However, the lower pay is more than offset by benefits, public transit and carpool lanes are easy travel challenges, and crime is almost always off campus rather than on.

Great place to work, hours are flexible

Current Employee - Student Technical Lead
    Current Employee - Student Technical Lead

Pros

Care about workers, flexible hours

Cons

Tend to hire from outside

Connect more with lower level workers

Overall positive experience as an administrator.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Supervisor always willing and happy to give feedback; good upward mobility opportunities; Culture varies by department and office; metro rail stops at two locations on campus.

Cons

Senior-level administration can be difficult to access; student population varies-- some are fantastic, others are spoiled brats; area surrounding campus can be dangerous; traffic in the area is horrendous.

Remember the mission of the university.

Interning with USC Dornsife Advancement

Current Employee - Corporate and Foundation Relations in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate and Foundation Relations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

USC is a university with unparalleled access to resources (financial, research, etc.) and influencers in a multitude of fields. It's exciting to work for a university that is progressive, exciting, and always striving for better. My advancement training was far-reaching, covering everything from office tasks to navigating complex portals and research platforms. The office makes every team member feel valued and important and I feel that the work I do is truly significant.

Cons

The office is undergoing a lot of operational and managerial changes, so the chain of command can get a little murky at times. The office space contains multiple USC departments, so I have sometimes felt socially isolated from the other branches.

Management is fantastic about giving me the feedback I need, praise when I perfectly execute a project and constructive criticism when changes need to be made. They are absolutely transparent, which I value highly in my bosses.

University of Southern California Photos