University of Southern Maine

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Experience

IT (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsFantastic staff with great attitudes. Good team environment

ConsCurrent restructure causing doubt and worry about job security

Ad

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsGood supportive work environment for teaching. Supportive staff and members of the department. good place to improve your teaching.

ConsPretty heavy workload - lots of students, and no graders. Most instructors either don't collect homework or use on-line for most. Low pay.

It was a great experience as I experienced students who r eager to learn, faculty who are invested in teaching

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsMost faculty are there to teach and supportive. Lots of support programs especially for freshman and challenged students. Innovative initiatives like on-line courses especially for soldiers.

ConsSometimes don't keep the best teachers instead keep only PhDs. At times fired adjunct instructors who really cared about teaching and put in effort to be diverse.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive training to professors and adjuncts who lack teaching skills; having knowledge in the subject area is not enough

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over 25 years in a middle management position

Director (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsGreat location, dedicated students, some caring faculty, hard-working middle and lower administrators

ConsInstitution is currently being run by an ineffective president and a husband/wife megalomaniac team intent on acquiring power over every non-academic department in the university. They have no concept of what students need and really don't give a d**n about anything other than lining their own pockets and feeding their own egos.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the entire upper management "team" and start over with senior administrators experienced in student development and organizational leadership. Under the current crew the ship is taking on water and will be sinking soon.

Underfunded and mediocre

Administrator (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsLovely location and sophisticated lifestyle

ConsResentful, underpaid faculty and staff

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck. You need it.

Little opportunity for advancement, incompetent and indifferent management, poor wages.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsExcellent benefits, casual atmosphere, snow days, union representation. Benefits include tuition waiver for two classes a semester.

ConsConstant threat of layoffs due to fiscal woes. This will likely only get worse during the next few years as student enrollment has plummeted and many more departments and positions will be cut.

How you are treated varies greatly depending on what department you are in. Supervisors, managers, directors receive no management training, and my manager was the worst I have ever encountered on the job: no communication skills, patronizing, insecure, hateful. I witnessed bullying behavior in multiple departments that was not only ignored by upper management, it was rewarded,

Advice to Senior ManagementActually manage.

managed by close minded bureaucrats who only think of their own job security

Prosstudents are often very very motivated

Consthe harder you work, the less respect you get

Advice to Senior Managementfire them all. let professors run the place

Amazing experience however not for the faint of heart.

Direct Care Assistant (Former Employee) Embden, ME

ProsWonderful experience working for this cohort of people. You will not regret working for MCD! Willing to educate you and very easy company to talk with.

ConsAssault level can be extremely high depending on where you are placed. Some co-workers are not willing to work and are doing it because it is purely a job. House managers are not approachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not give the clients the run-around. You work for them so provide them with answers.

Hard working dedicated people, mostly working for peanuts, except for those at the top.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsNice relaxed work environment, dedicated co-workers.

ConsUnless you are an overpaid administrator or dean, you will work for peanuts with little if any raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay living wage to those on the bottom.

I worked as a graduate research assistant in the Biology Department

Student Research Associate (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsThe staff and faculty are supportive and enthusiastic about teaching. The student to staff ratio in labs and lectures is excellent. It is a good environment to conduct research with high level biomedical instrumentation.

ConsIt is a small program that had few specialists in my field. There are not as many opportunities for graduate level coursework.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate stronger connection to the UMaine system to enable enhanced coursework.

Worked for University of Southern Maine? Contribute to the Community!