University of Southern Mississippi

Updated Apr 15, 2014

University of Southern Mississippi President Dr. Rodney Bennett

Dr. Rodney Bennett

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Great Healthcare Setting!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsSince most employees have been there for years (decades for many) there is a strong family atmosphere. It seems that most employees genuinely enjoy their work, the patients, and the university setting.

ConsSometimes employees are too relaxed which can make their behavior seem less than professional at times. Also, pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake high standards for excellence and stick to them.

USM Gulf Coast is a beautiful campus on the Missississippi Gulf Coast.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) Long Beach, MS

ProsThe coast faculty are collegial and work together for a common goal. Dedicated and love their jobs.

ConsBig divide between coast campus and the main campus in Hattiesburg. Not enough resources dedicated to this growing campus on the coast compared to Hattiesburg.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time, money, and effort where your growth is - the Gulf Coast. Truly grow the coast and don't stifle it.

The work environment is so friendly and evryone are so coperative to one another.Great mentors to work in research labor

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsGreat team members, support of colleagues and find self respectful and independent to work.Enjoy doing my research very much.

ConsRemains too busy in work. So have to sometimes miss my time to my family and friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should understand the pains of the research assistants and try to give more compensations to the graduate assistants as they are really really working hard.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsFlexible hours. Mostly willing to work with your class schedule

ConsPay wasn't all that great

Southern Miss is a great place to work.

Union and Programs (Current Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsWork environment, culture, friendliness, flexibility, pay

ConsThe pay is sometimes a little low.

Peer tutor in the Speaking and Writing Center.

Peer Tutor (Former Employee) Long Beach, MS

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsNo cons, it was just a fun job while I was in school.

Student Worker

Student Worker (Current Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsFlexible Scheduling
    Easy Going Atmosphere
    Friendly Coworkers
    Classes and Work are in the Same Building

ConsWith a 20 hour work week and 19 hours of classes the days can be very long.

Perfect job for a student who would like some extra cash.

Desk Assistant (Former Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsGreat hours, great pay, perfect way to study and make financial gain simultaneously. The job has little responsibility, and depending on the supervisor, it can be a fun and sociable experience.

ConsIt's a customer service job, and sometimes a supervisor will treat you with little respect. Also, make sure that you can make the hours that you schedule in advance, and try to trade shifts early. It is only part-time, so the max you can work is 20 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome supervisors tend to micromanage and impose borderline ridiculous rules. The management needs to focus on providing a better experience at the University, not impose ridiculous rules that make it

A good place to work, but some major compensation flaws.

Full Time Tenured Professor (Current Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsGood administration and caring people, a real effort to support faculty and programs. Great location, decent culture and respect for the arts.

ConsNo real admissions policy, a great cross section of students, very diverse, but some very low performing students as well. Lots of duties piled on faculty, not enough time to do research. Very poor compensation for faculty and staff, no raises in years.

Efficient, People that care"

Circulation Manager (Former Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsThere are many opportunities for graduate positions and works with your schedule pretty well.

ConsSometimes the different departments do not have great communication. This makes it difficult to handle relatively small problems in a timely manner.

Worked for University of Southern Mississippi? Contribute to the Community!