University of Sydney Reviews

Reset
3.7
University of Sydney Chancellor Belinda Hutchinson
Belinda Hutchinson

Pros
  • Compensation and benefits provided are relatively good and you can enjoy a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, and access to many top researchers in the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It is very isolating, no sense that you belong, at the moment there a lot of redundancies, so it feels quite competitive (in 2 reviews)

• The Unions are dreadful, not clever and hold non-union staff to ransom (in 2 reviews)

1. Great place to work if you want work/life balance

I worked at University of Sydney full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours; reasonable compensation; great super of 17%; with 10,000 employees there are limitless resources at your fingertips.

Cons

Too much red tape and bureaucracy - if you have an idea or vision it is incredibly hard to make progress through all the levels of approval and policies. Everyone is always 'too busy' which makes it hard to set meetings and thus projects take a very long time. The professional service units and the faculties all operate as their own organisation each with their own goals and agenda's. This is fine, but a holistic university strategic vision needs to filter its way down from the top so that employees in service units and faculties are aware of the 'bigger picture' and can instil a culture and strategy accordingly.

Advice to Management

Think more broadly regarding ALL aspects of the university so that the university can move forward as one unit. Get the PSU's and faculties collaborating more so that there is less cross over of responsibilities and more common knowledge so that everyone is on the same page and is working towards a common goal.

2. Research Associate

Pros

Access to large network of academics

Cons

Minimal training. Poor staff management and facilities

Advice to Management

None

3. Many benefits

Current Employee - Research Officer
    Current Employee - Research Officer

Pros

Flexible, superannuation, opportunity to progress and study

Cons

Feel isolated working in research, despite working in a building meant for collaboration

5. Student ambassador

I worked at University of Sydney part-time

Pros

Fantastic place to work if you are also studying at the university, get involved in Uni activities while being paid to do so!

Cons

Sometimes the work can be sporadic, so best not to rely on it as your main source and only use for beer money.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting students to do the work, they are your greatest assess and advocates to the outside community!

6. Admin Assistant

Former Employee - Administration Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Administration Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Great working environment, friendly people, always encourage training for staff members which I found brilliant

Cons

Being made redundant after 22.5 years was very hard for me. Life outside the Uni just has not been the same for me

Advice to Management

Look at structures within the Uni to try and keep long standing staff members. They are the backbone.

7. Casual Academic

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Great work life balance here

Cons

Sometimes the payment is not as high as the corporate world.

8. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at University of Sydney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

University of Sydney has many institutes with leading edge research. I was fortunate enough to be a part of it for approximately two years. I was situated initially in the Veterinary research as a full time Research Assistant (RA) in 2010 and then in the Brain and Mind Research Institute again as a RA. It was the most rewarding position as Usyd really values their employee's in terms of state of the art work environment, availability of resources for further study and very very impressive remuneration packages. The best part was that Usyd recognised your experience working for them and gave me a pay raise every year. The work life balance was amazing. I had a stable 9-5 job and I can choose to do extra hours on certain days and make them up on another day when I am not so busy. What more incentive does one want than what Usyd has offered to me. In future I would like to work for them again!

Cons

None at all. I dont know what it is to not like about usyd. The rich culture, history and friendliest students and staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. Good place for technical staff.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at University of Sydney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team working on interesting research projects.

Cons

You're limited to working on what gets funding. Lots of the really interesting work is done by the PhDs and research team.

10. High Research Standards

Former Employee - Research Associate in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Faculty Resources Student standard Labs Good learning environment Effective classroom schedules Regular school seminars

Cons

Can't think of much, would recommend it to peers and friends. Can't think of much, would recommend it to peers and friends.

11. Enormous Workload

I have been working at University of Sydney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues. The students. Teaching students things I feel passionate about.

Cons

Overwhelming and unhealthy workloads. Neoliberal policies enforced via several tiers of management. Lack of work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Genuinely reduce workloads. The university cannot make the government fund universities adequately but overloading academics is unfair - make cuts in non-core areas like marketing.

RSS Feed </> Embed