University of Tampa Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
27 reviews filtered by
3.7
CEO

1. I am a student - the experiences I've had here are great!

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

Awesome environment and people. Great faculty and professors.

Cons

Paychecks were often late, but that could have been due to the specific department. Again, I am a student and am not sure how full-time staff operate.

Keep up the great work!

2. USED to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Middle Management in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

Beautiful campus, good benefits, a lot of good people trying to do good work despite virtually insurmountable obstacles.

Cons

Employees are not valued. Morale is at an all-time low. Tenured faculty walk around with no shoes on. Senior staff are all highly paid and have become yes-men for the President. IT has been outsourced to Dynamic Campus and 2/3 of the IT staff have left, taking decades of valuable knowledge with them.

Treat employees like the resources they are. Fire Dynamic Campus! Have some standards for faculty, tenure be damned!

3. Student friendly environment,more traditional outlook

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

Good place to start the career, very student friendly.

Cons

More traditional outlook make it difficult to bring in new processes and systems.

Should be more open to the changes and give more opportunities to younger generation.

5. Worked as a Graduate Assistant

I worked at University of Tampa

Pros

Provided a great opportunity to finance your way through the masters program while working to help others.

Cons

If this is your primary source of cash flow the stipend offered is quite low.

Tuition has gone up year to year. The stipend amount has not, think about changing this.

6. Working and Studying at the University of Tampa

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

I am a graduate student currently working part time for UT. They have a lot of opportunities for on campus jobs. They help you develop skills you require to improve your resume and your work experience.

Cons

Some departments are not very well structured and there is lack of organization and support between the different offices around campus.

A Professor at the University of Tampa

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful, talented, generous colleagues; collaborative environment; financially stable institution; beautiful grounds/facilities; up-to-date technology; commitment to academic excellence; strong faculty self-governance; extremely hard-working staff; the freedom of a private institution; excellent benefits and competitive salaries. Our admissions team is strong, our acceptance rates seem reasonable rather than overly lenient, and we have a number of very bright students (particularly those who are here on academic scholarships). The campus has a fairly high percentage of international students (though it would be nice if we had more domestic minorities). Regarding lifestyle: If you would enjoy a small but thriving intellectual oasis in the subtropics, this can be a breathtaking place to live and work. If you prefer a New England autumn by a cozy fire and a quick train ride to NYC, this might not be your ideal home, but we're minutes from Tampa International Airport (easy sprints to NYC, Chicago, etc.)

Cons

While the faculty members, deans, and students are socially progressive on the whole, there's a bit of a "deep south" provincial vein that runs from the president and some of the donors through some of the staff and can, at times, feel as though we're living in a 70-year-old time warp, but it doesn't seem to hold the university back in significant ways. Tampa is not a city with strong support of art and culture, though there are many surrounding cities that fair better in those areas (e.g., Saint Petersburg; Sarasota). The quality of the university's student body does vary and includes some students whose conspicuous lack of skill is equaled only by a mysterious sense of entitlement, but apparently that's a nationwide trend, and these students are somewhat balanced here by talented students who appreciate academic rigor. On the whole, this is a strong and well-ranked institution, and I feel very lucky to be part of it.

Our deans seem to be strong. Our upper management lacks communication skills. My advice there would be some basic public relations training.

8. Expectations were not met. Pay very low.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, more or less.

Cons

Low pay. Work that isn't worthy of a graduate education

Set expectations a little better. The job was sold as one that would include some teaching experience. It did not.

9. It was a pretty good time. We had a good manager and things flowed smoothly.

I worked at University of Tampa

Pros

Great management. I learned a lot about driving a golf cart and how to find the quickest route between two places.

Cons

We did not get paid on time every paycheck. This was a massive issue at times. Need better payroll software.

upper management was rarely seen

10. Great campus surrounded by good professors and opportunities.

Former Employee - Intramural Official and Teacher's Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Intramural Official and Teacher's Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced professors. Pretty campus. Good on-campus housing. City perks. A lot of resources.

Cons

School is a business. Not focused on success of student after graduation. Overall communication lacking. School spirit very much lacking.

Focus on career success of student. Build a student connection to the school by building school spirit.

11. Great place to get an education, lousy place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, great faculty, casual atmosphere.

Cons

Micromanaged to the nth degree with senior level staff vying for approval on the backs of the staff. No recourse for staff complaints. The Human Resources department does not support employees.