University of Tampa Reviews

CEO

1. Great synergy

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Seffner, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Seffner, FL

I worked at University of Tampa (More than a year)

Pros

Unique campus environment where students are energized and faculty/staff are engaged. Deans and executives encourage ideas and suggestions from faculty and there is an open door policy everywhere.

Cons

In the time I have spent on campus, there have been no negative aspects...all around great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. Calculus for Business Tutor

Current Employee - Calculus Tutor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Calculus Tutor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexible times!
    - great work environment
    - kids you will be working for are all nice and respectful
    - supervisor can be a bit strict with respect to timing but great guy to work with!

Cons

- place where you work at is kind of depressing
    - located on the far end of campus

3. Student Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa (Less than a year)

Pros

You get nice working hours

Cons

You work with angry and disgruntled people.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how your student assistants are being treated in some departments.

5. Resident Assistant

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of Time management, task management, customer service, administrative, leadership, and team work experience

Cons

There is a big time commitment

6. Great place to earn a little money on the side

Former Employee - Tele-counselor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tele-counselor in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, nice people, great boss and super easy workload

Cons

1/2 an hour break for 6 hours of working means running to and from the nearest cafeteria area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. The position provided lots of networking and learning opportunities.

Current Contractor - Graduate Research Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Contractor - Graduate Research Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A richly diverse working environment. The open door policy is encouraged and most supervisors are open to ideas and innovation.

Cons

Understaffed departments make the role tasking for a single employee. This was a recurrent theme in many of the departments in the organization.

Advice to Management

The management should employ more staff. This will increase the productivity of the current and new staff.

8. USED to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Middle Management in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

Beautiful campus, good benefits, a lot of good people trying to do good work despite virtually insurmountable obstacles.

Cons

Employees are not valued. Morale is at an all-time low. Tenured faculty walk around with no shoes on. Senior staff are all highly paid and have become yes-men for the President. IT has been outsourced to Dynamic Campus and 2/3 of the IT staff have left, taking decades of valuable knowledge with them.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like the resources they are. Fire Dynamic Campus! Have some standards for faculty, tenure be damned!

9. Working and Studying at the University of Tampa

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

I am a graduate student currently working part time for UT. They have a lot of opportunities for on campus jobs. They help you develop skills you require to improve your resume and your work experience.

Cons

Some departments are not very well structured and there is lack of organization and support between the different offices around campus.

A Professor at the University of Tampa

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful, talented, generous colleagues; collaborative environment; financially stable institution; beautiful grounds/facilities; up-to-date technology; commitment to academic excellence; strong faculty self-governance; extremely hard-working staff; the freedom of a private institution; excellent benefits and competitive salaries. Our admissions team is strong, our acceptance rates seem reasonable rather than overly lenient, and we have a number of very bright students (particularly those who are here on academic scholarships). The campus has a fairly high percentage of international students (though it would be nice if we had more domestic minorities). Regarding lifestyle: If you would enjoy a small but thriving intellectual oasis in the subtropics, this can be a breathtaking place to live and work. If you prefer a New England autumn by a cozy fire and a quick train ride to NYC, this might not be your ideal home, but we're minutes from Tampa International Airport (easy sprints to NYC, Chicago, etc.)

Cons

While the faculty members, deans, and students are socially progressive on the whole, there's a bit of a "deep south" provincial vein that runs from the president and some of the donors through some of the staff and can, at times, feel as though we're living in a 70-year-old time warp, but it doesn't seem to hold the university back in significant ways. Tampa is not a city with strong support of art and culture, though there are many surrounding cities that fair better in those areas (e.g., Saint Petersburg; Sarasota). The quality of the university's student body does vary and includes some students whose conspicuous lack of skill is equaled only by a mysterious sense of entitlement, but apparently that's a nationwide trend, and these students are somewhat balanced here by talented students who appreciate academic rigor. On the whole, this is a strong and well-ranked institution, and I feel very lucky to be part of it.

Advice to Management

Our deans seem to be strong. Our upper management lacks communication skills. My advice there would be some basic public relations training.

11. Expectations were not met. Pay very low.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, more or less.

Cons

Low pay. Work that isn't worthy of a graduate education

Advice to Management

Set expectations a little better. The job was sold as one that would include some teaching experience. It did not.

RSS Feed </> Embed