University of Tampa Reviews

CEO

A Professor at the University of Tampa

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful, talented, generous colleagues; collaborative environment; financially stable institution; beautiful grounds/facilities; up-to-date technology; commitment to academic excellence; strong faculty self-governance; extremely hard-working staff; the freedom of a private institution; excellent benefits and competitive salaries. Our admissions team is strong, our acceptance rates seem reasonable rather than overly lenient, and we have a number of very bright students (particularly those who are here on academic scholarships). The campus has a fairly high percentage of international students (though it would be nice if we had more domestic minorities). Regarding lifestyle: If you would enjoy a small but thriving intellectual oasis in the subtropics, this can be a breathtaking place to live and work. If you prefer a New England autumn by a cozy fire and a quick train ride to NYC, this might not be your ideal home, but we're minutes from Tampa International Airport (easy sprints to NYC, Chicago, etc.)

Cons

While the faculty members, deans, and students are socially progressive on the whole, there's a bit of a "deep south" provincial vein that runs from the president and some of the donors through some of the staff and can, at times, feel as though we're living in a 70-year-old time warp, but it doesn't seem to hold the university back in significant ways. Tampa is not a city with strong support of art and culture, though there are many surrounding cities that fair better in those areas (e.g., Saint Petersburg; Sarasota). The quality of the university's student body does vary and includes some students whose conspicuous lack of skill is equaled only by a mysterious sense of entitlement, but apparently that's a nationwide trend, and these students are somewhat balanced here by talented students who appreciate academic rigor. On the whole, this is a strong and well-ranked institution, and I feel very lucky to be part of it.

Our deans seem to be strong. Our upper management lacks communication skills. My advice there would be some basic public relations training.

2. USED to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Middle Management in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

Beautiful campus, good benefits, a lot of good people trying to do good work despite virtually insurmountable obstacles.

Cons

Employees are not valued. Morale is at an all-time low. Tenured faculty walk around with no shoes on. Senior staff are all highly paid and have become yes-men for the President. IT has been outsourced to Dynamic Campus and 2/3 of the IT staff have left, taking decades of valuable knowledge with them.

Treat employees like the resources they are. Fire Dynamic Campus! Have some standards for faculty, tenure be damned!

3. Working and Studying at the University of Tampa

I have been working at University of Tampa

Pros

I am a graduate student currently working part time for UT. They have a lot of opportunities for on campus jobs. They help you develop skills you require to improve your resume and your work experience.

Cons

Some departments are not very well structured and there is lack of organization and support between the different offices around campus.

5. Expectations were not met. Pay very low.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, more or less.

Cons

Low pay. Work that isn't worthy of a graduate education

Set expectations a little better. The job was sold as one that would include some teaching experience. It did not.

6. Great campus surrounded by good professors and opportunities.

Former Employee - Intramural Official and Teacher's Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Intramural Official and Teacher's Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced professors. Pretty campus. Good on-campus housing. City perks. A lot of resources.

Cons

School is a business. Not focused on success of student after graduation. Overall communication lacking. School spirit very much lacking.

Focus on career success of student. Build a student connection to the school by building school spirit.

7. Great place to get an education, lousy place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, great faculty, casual atmosphere.

Cons

Micromanaged to the nth degree with senior level staff vying for approval on the backs of the staff. No recourse for staff complaints. The Human Resources department does not support employees.

8. Graduate Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment. Ability to work at own pace. Excellent working around class schedule. 3 day weekends all summer. Tampa is a beautiful city to work in if you enjoy being outdoors.

Cons

Very hot during the summer. Somewhat of a silo culture. Relationships across campus are important to get full information on anything.

9. Very flexible hours, relaxed environment, and over all great experience!

Former Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a student at the University of Tampa I was able to work on campus and still have time to dedicate to course work. Very friendly atmosphere, flexible hours, and over all exceptional experience.

Cons

Can be difficult to find someone to cover your shift, especially during the holiday seasons or finals week.

10. Fabulous and historic university in the heart of Tampa

Former Contractor - Physics Professor in Tampa, FL
    Former Contractor - Physics Professor in Tampa, FL

I worked at University of Tampa as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful, historic campus in the middle of South Tampa. Great support and enough autonomy to do your own research and teaching. Laid back supervisors who trust you to do a great job! They are there when you need them, but don't micromanage you. Great equipment, both new and historic! Fun place! Motivated students!

Cons

It's slow moving up the ranks and the pay is a little bit low, but you make up for it with a great work environment.

Better parking?

11. Great place to work with great people to work with.

Current Employee - Sports Writer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sports Writer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at University of Tampa part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Connect with other great young writers seeking to move forward in the profession of journalism.

Cons

Not the highest paying job.