University of Tennessee Health Science Center
www.uthsc.edu Memphis, TN 5000+ Employees

University of Tennessee Health Science Center Reviews

Updated Feb 12, 2014
University of Tennessee Health Science Center – Memphis – “UTHSC campus”

Great Company

I have been working at University of Tennessee Health Science Center full-time

ProsA great and friendly environment.

ConsDoesn't pay enough to employees.

steady

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Health Science Center full-time for more than 5 years

Prossteady and secure job to feel comfortable

Consnot much improvement when it comes to make changes

Advice to Senior Managementnot much

Administrative support assistant to administration staff and faculty

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Health Science Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits.
Pay Time Off.
Educational Assistance.
Great HR training opportunities

ConsGrowth in other job opportunities

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management needs to clean house.

ProsWorkload is not very taxing with adequate leeway to organize your work. Facility manager is easy to get along with most days. Lots of opportunity to explore individual projects. Lots of opportunities for attending seminars and classes.

ConsTop level management is useless. They accumulate supervisors and other employees that are only a drain on the facilities budget. Current supervisor can barely organize his own work, let alone maintain and supervise the current lab. As a benefit of being an employee, the university is supposed to waive fees for classes...however, you can only attend a total of 9 hours of classes through each college. Management has difficulties securing grant funding, yet continues to pour money into projects and personnel that give no return in the investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house starting with personnel and projects that do not give any type of returns on the investment.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

not good place to work as researcher

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

Prosn/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

Consunstable position, low salary, etc

Biomedical Research for the Future

Memphis, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Health Science Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice benefits and work environment.

ConsFlexible work schedule is practically unheard of.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and listen to employees. To institute a great place to work, you must be willing to implement employee suggestions.

Decent place to work.

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits, annual leave, sick leave, and personal day are earned in addition to paid holidays. Provide tuition assistance, employee assistance program, various training and learning opportunities.

ConsPay and some members of managment. I feel like the faculty defintely have the upper hand. If you are administrative support personnel, there are not many opportunities for advancement. The pay could also be better or at least pay you reasonably for your experience and education.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowlege employees when doing a good job more or a small acknowledgement period would be good. My immediate supervisor doesn't even say good morning or hello to her employees in the morning. She has to walk right by us and doesn't even look up.

It's not goverment work until it is done more than once.

Cytogenetic Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Tennessee Health Science Center

ProsOnce hired impossible to get fired.

ConsHR/administration is completly useless. Screwup ALL paperwork repeatedly.The university REALLY needs to "clean house". Waste of taxpayers' money.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Take inventory of what your faculty and especially staff REALLY do and how productive they REALLY are.

If I could go back in time...

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Tennessee Health Science Center

ProsBenefits...great benefits. Time off is fantastic. The institution shuts down the week of Christmas and New Years. The day after thanksgiving as well. 2 vacation days a month and one sick day too. Thus, you almost get five weeks vacation time a year.

ConsGovernment job. Incompetence runs throughout the organization and it doesn't skip levels of hierarchy. There are Dumb @$$ from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementSaying something is a waste of my time. They would never listen anyway, thus, this is my twenty words summed: You Suck...

Just Depressing.

ProsYou can literally do ANYTHING (or nothing at all) and not get fired.

ConsGenerally low pay even for Memphis - St. Jude pays about 60% more for equivalent hourly positions and has better benefits. Administration will listen to employee feedback, yet nothing is ever done. Most administrative staff are incompetent and offices constantly lose paperwork. No workplace culture. Generally, UTHSC is just a very frustrating place to work and there are no real "pros" that can distract you from how miserable this place is.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of people who are incompetent or train them and hold them to higher standards. Make an effort to actually follow through on suggestions after asking for employee feedback.

Worked for University of Tennessee Health Science Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Tennessee Health Science Center reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by University of Tennessee Health Science Center employees.