University of Tennessee

www.tennessee.edu

University of Tennessee Reviews in Knoxville, TN

Updated Jul 31, 2014
University of Tennessee – US – “Stokely Management Center”

University of Tennessee – US – “Stokely Management Center”

University of Tennessee President Dr. Joe DiPietro

Dr. Joe DiPietro

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, good job prospect after college (in 8 reviews)

• Strong work environment depending on your adviser (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and grant-based research, as per the usual with Universities (in 5 reviews)

• There was no real career development path, at least for me (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Graduate Research Assistant -- different departments, different experiences

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsPersonal growth and learning are unlimited if you are motivated.
    Smart, interesting people to work with -- many acknowledged experts in their field
    Flexible hours and campus atmosphere
    Tuition waiver and paid insurance in some cases

ConsYour experience will vary based on where you work and who your professor/supervisor is. Pay was better in the College of Business Administration. Mentoring and time with supervisors were limited, but "production" expectations were high. Lower pay in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences, but mentoring and flexibility were better -- good balance between "you are here to complete your program" and "we need to get this out the door."

Wonderful work environment, very well run.

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsHiring process is relatively painless. Professors are mostly very open and friendly. Very good pay for teaching assistants. Alumni network is well-connected, providing great opportunities for career growth.

ConsOccasionally quite bureaucratic. Parking permits are incredibly expensive and subtracted from salary. Experience as a research assistant can vary greatly in quality from professor to professor.

A stable place to work with good benefits but average to slightly below average salaries.

Information Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsAcademic work environment.
    Collaborative.
    Opportunity to wear many hats and learn new technologies.

ConsMore political than seems necessary. Which means rewards seemed to be given based on personality more than merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither have a solid division of labor between project management, editors, designers, and developers or acknowledge and empower individuals to manage clients. Doing both ad hoc leads to mediocre and unquantifiable results.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your time

Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsI really enjoyed the first project I was assigned to at UT.

ConsI worked for a grant-funded department and the constant worry of losing our funding wore me down after a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll those surveys you conduct? Pay attention to the responses and take action!

Student Research Assistant

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsFun projects involving a wide range of subjects. My research professor was involved with several things from tractor rollover bars to river mapping. No day was quite the same. Really flexible work hours.

ConsOccasionally slow days. Sometimes watching videos for research would get old.

Great Working Place and Even Nicer People

Professional Intern (Current Employee) Oak Ridge, TN

ProsWonderful place to work and learn new skills..great people, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable.

ConsInternships will not always lead to an offer of full time employment but Well Worth it anyway!

Great overall, but pulled in two directions

Research Technician (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThe people are great to work with, and mostly excellent benefits. It is a full-time, twelve months a year kind of place, and can be challenging at times and laid-back at other times.

ConsIt is a non-profit educational institution of the State of Tennessee and therefore tied to the state budget for raises which do not come every year and do not match rises in the inflation rate. The 401K matching is currently at $50/month (also set by the State). The Graduate School of Medicine in Knoxville is tied in to the UT Memphis campus which can make paperwork a bit awkward.

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsFlexible hours, got to work with my favorite professor.

ConsI had a great time here. I don't have anything to complain about.

excellent graduate program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

Prosresearch support is available from departmental funds. the eeb department guarantees 4 years of funding for incoming PhD students, which is standard for good programs. there is a collaborative research environment where graduate students and young faculty collaborate to get more grants and research awards than you would expect for a state school in the south. although you are paid minimally, even graduate students can live well in knoxville due to its low cost of living.

Consyou are a graduate student, and are generally overworked and underpaid for the 100 hours you work each week. you live in knoxville, which can be difficult.

research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

Prosprofessors are very nice here, and I gain a lot of experience from projects.

ConsThe dining center is too small and lack of varieties.

Worked for University of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!