University of Tennessee Medical Center

Joseph R. Landsman Jr.

1. Employee Catering Assistant

Current Employee - Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and I have met some awesome people

Cons

Very exahausting and Long hours

2. Patient access

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Is a magnet hospital. Great benefits. Many areas of excellence within hospital. Monday through Friday work week. Overtime is usually available if wanted.

Cons

The amount of work delegated for the pay is not exactly the best. Some areas are under staffed and employees tend to have to float from different areas.

Database Analyst

Current Employee - Database Analyst in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Knoxville, TN

Pros

This hospital is the top notch hospital in our area.

Cons

This hospital's executive management has a leadership style that is old and antiquated.

Advice to Management

To start implementing newer leadership techniques to keep younger, more talented management in their workforce.

Disappointed in Management.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center

Pros

I love working with most of the people here especially other fellow nurses. These nurses work hard for their patients.

Cons

I am very disappointed in management. They usually never know what is going on. They are either too busy attending meetings or too busy in their office. Also, they never listen to any of the staff about suggestions and let them give their input on things. I feel like they are making decisions based on their own personal judgement not as a team. I was disappointed on how they handled certain situations.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff members and be more of a team player. Be more aware of your surroundings.

6. CNA

Former Employee - CNA in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - CNA in Knoxville, TN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean hospital, magnet status, can make own schedule if PRN

Cons

Often short staffed on CNA's and you have to work the floor alone

Advice to Management

None, no complaints

7. 20 plus years in the medical field

Current Employee - Medical Office Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Office Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated as a true team member. Each person plays a fundamental role in excellent patient care.

Cons

small window for advancement opportunities

RN

I worked at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time

Pros

Top notch medical center. Variety of positions, interesting cases/patients, educational center provides variety and current technology. Decent benefits. Many nurses with years of experience; great staff nurses.

Cons

Institution cares little about employees, while expecting employees to go above and beyond for clients. Pay-for-Performance is designed to give lowest % to majority of people. Patient satisfaction is primary focus of caregivers, with little strategic support from administration. Human Resources is long arm of management and is of little assistance to staff RNs. Good CNO, but no power in institution. Nursing is constantly given administrative led tasks to accomplish, with minimal education/resources. Poor transparency with administrators.

Advice to Management

Put more funding into your nursing department, your outcomes will be better. Decide who is in charge/decision makers and implement BEST processes, not those that cost the least or are simply a compromise. Support your staff. Stop setting your staff up to fail; look at your processes and apply patient centered care to all areas.

9. CNA

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time

Pros

Stays buisy and not alot of time to sit and be bored.

Cons

Alot of work for not alot of pay.

Great hospital, but doesn't treat their employees well

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You gain a lot of experience working at a level I trauma center, so there is a lot to learn and experience. I love what I do and have only stayed because of the co-workers I work along side!

Cons

Unbelievably low Morale house wide through many departments. Way under staffed in most departments that it is actually quite dangerous. Patient care gets skimmed or completely skipped because of how busy your workload is. No benefits for Part time employees. No recognition for working hard and your 2% raise doesn't ever help your huge increase in benefits every year. You have to pay to use the ER as an employee too!

Advice to Management

Don't wait until there is a sentinel event to get more staff!! I hate that you have to fill out PSN's to even get management to notice something going on but sometimes those PSN's are only hurting our patients! Oh, and UT be different and treat your employees like they are assets. Part timers are vital in keeping a hospital running and YOU CAN afford to keep our benefits you just choose to hop on board with what other hospitals are doing. I am a current employee for many years actually (part time)..but not for long. I feel let down by Joe Landsman and the rest of UT!

11. Good Organization with Room to Grow, but Pay is Sub-par

Current Employee - Team Leader in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at University of Tennessee Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Academic atmosphere, highly-skilled and educated staff, research opportunities, family-feel environment, opportunities for promotion, good benefits package.

Cons

Pay is less than similar organizations

RSS Feed </> Embed